Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
KP forum software has been upgraded. You can read more here.
Please make sure to click My Profile link at the top and scroll down to Custom View Settings.
Why Would You Ever Want to Pay For Knitting and Crochet Patterns or Lessons When You Can Get All That for Free?
Read this:
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional knitter, then the benefits of signing up for our free weekly knitting e-mail newsletter are:

• We cover hand knitting, machine knitting, and crochet.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a knitting message board digest with the latest knitting pictures, discussions and patterns.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• Discover the fastest way to knit (and to crochet) a sock... while keeping the perfect heel and making sure the sock fits (not many knitters know this).

• Find out how to figure out how much yarn you need for a pattern if the pattern doesn't specify it (works for any project, a real life-saver sometimes).

• Learn how to pick up a dropped stitch, even from several rows below. It happens to absolutely everyone at some point. But don't worry, there exists a really simple fix.

• And if you ever run out of yarn, find out how to join any yarn in the middle of any project.

• If you can't find the pattern that you need, or if you don't know which pattern would be most appropriate for a specific project, then you can ask our other users to help you figure it out. We even have a dedicated "Pattern Requests" section on our website that's all about finding new patterns.

• The same goes for any problems and questions about specific techniques. We have experienced users who are always helping those in need with just the right advice.

• And of course, as I said it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for knitters and crocheters, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our knitting mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more knitting-related material (pictures, patterns, tips) than contained in all knitting books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

You'll be able to talk and share ideas with more knitters than you could meet if you attended all the largest trade shows. And you'll be able to do all that without leaving your house!

Don't delay! Join the best knitting and crochet community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our knitting forum: hundreds of great tips from other knitters.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
Machine Knitting
CONE-YARN FOR MACHINE
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Aug 4, 2012 16:36:08   #
Omnivore
 
Hi
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and haven't been able to find any yarn on cones, suitable for machine-knitting.

This is thwarting my wish to produce some one and two-ply lacy garments that aren't a shocking price. I know the yarn goes further as there's more to the ball, but still ... cone's better for many reasons, isn't it.

I'm after acrylic, wool, and blends.

Is it possible that someone can help me track down a local supplier? I can travel to Auckland, if necessary.
 
Aug 4, 2012 17:52:29   #
busysuzy
 
Omnivore wrote:
Hi
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and haven't been able to find any yarn on cones, suitable for machine-knitting.

This is thwarting my wish to produce some one and two-ply lacy garments that aren't a shocking price. I know the yarn goes further as there's more to the ball, but still ... cone's better for many reasons, isn't it.

I'm after acrylic, wool, and blends.

Is it possible that someone can help me track down a local supplier? I can travel to Auckland, if necessary.
Hi br I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and have... (show quote)


Hi Omnivore :D There is D.E.A yarns in the North Island, but I have got into buying yarns from England through e-bay, Metropolitan Yarns; they have a wonderful selection and very reasonable prices and shipping charges and quick delivery
Aug 4, 2012 22:01:34   #
Omnivore
 
Thank you busy suzy; I've made a note of it. Wow! this is what they have in Levin: so glad I put out the call on this site:

0 $3.00 900
BOBBLE 2/12Nm = 2PLY 70% Acrylic, 30% Wool $35.00 $1.75 600
CARATO 2/28 Nm = 1 1/2 PLY MACHINE WASHABLE SUPERWASH 20.5 MICRON MERINO $90.00 $4.50 1400
CASHMILON 2/28 Nm = 1 1/2 PLY ACRYLIC $27.50 $1.37 1400
CHARME 1/7 Nm = 2 PLY 56%COTTON44%VISCOSE SEMI SHINY CRINKLE YARN $64.00 $3.20 700
CHENILLE 1\6 Nm = 4 PLY FINE 100% ACRYLIC $43.00 $2.15 600
CONCEPT 3\60 Nm = 1 PLY FINE 100% VISCOSE SEMI SHINY $65.00 $3.25 2000
1\30 1\30Nm = - 1 PLY FINE 100% COTTON SOFT COTTON RINGSPUN $30.00 $1.50 3000
2\20 2\20Nm = 2 PLY FINE 100% MERCERIZED COTTON $40.00 $2.00 1000
2\60 2\60 Nm = - 1 PLY FINE 100% MERCERIZED COTTON $46.00 $2.30 3000
MERCERIZED COTTON 4ply 100% MERCERIZED COTTON $80.00 $4.00 350
CAMEL- DAKAR 1/2 Nm = 8 PLY 40% CAMEL 60% MERINO COLOUR NATURAL $9.40 180
CAMEL - DRAGO 2\12 Nm = 3 PLY 50% CAMEL 50% MERINO COLOUR NATURAL $7.50 600
COCOON 6.5/2Nm = 4PLY 100% Merino Wool $90.00 $4.50 325
DENIM 2/16 Nm = 3 PLY 100 % COTTON WASHES BACK LIKE DENIM JEANS $67.00 $3.35 800
DENIM-FILARTEX 2/7 Nm = 4 PLY 100% COTTON WASHES BACK LIKE DENIM JEANS $67.00 $3.35 350
ENTICE 2/28= 1 1/2 PLY 60% merino, 40% NYLON $46.00 $2.30 1400
ESTASI 1/17Nm = 1 1/2 PLY 88% VISCOSE 12% POLIAMIDE SHINY small cone $8.00 1700
FIAMMA 1 Nm = 10 PLY 100% PURE VIRGIN MERINO WOOL 8 TO 10 PLY $6.00 100
FLUORO WOOL 2\24Nm = 1 1/2 PLY 100% WOOL $98.00 $4.90 1200
GOSSIP 1\6 Nm = 3 PLY FINE 100% VISCOSE $66.00 $3.30 600
JERRY 1/6 Nm = 4 PLY 100 % COTTON CRINKLE YARN $34.00 $1.70 600
LINEN 2\8 Nm = 2 PLY 60% COTTON 40% LINEN $47.00 $2.35 400
LUREX 54 Nm SMALL CONES $10.00 1000+
MOHAIR 8ply 1800Nm= 8ply 73%Kid Mohair, 22% Merino, 5%Poliamide $6.90 118
MOHAIR 1\9Nm = 2 PLY 40% Kid Mohair 30% Merino 30% Dralon $95.00 $4.75 900
MOONSHADOW 40 NM SMALL CONE $10.00 1000+
PELLICCIA 1/0.65NM = CHUNKY KNIT 15% Fox 85% Alpaca $14.50 63
PREMIER 1\25 Nm = LT 1 PLY RAYONVISCOSE 20 POLIAMIDE SHINY YARN $52.00 $2.60 2500
PULICINO 1800 Nm = 8PLT 100% Alpaca - Super fine brushed $9.00 118
RAYON 1/16Nm = 1 PLY FINE 100%DIABLO NYLON TACTAL SHINY $80.00 $4.00 1600
SAMM 2/11Nm = 4PLY 60%Merino, 24% mohair, 20%silk, 16%Angora $100.00 $5.00 600
SHEILA 1\7 Nm = 3 PLY 100% COTTON TUBE YARN $64.00 $3.20 700
SELGEMA 1.3 Nm = 10 PLY 50% SILK 40% MOHAIR 10% MERINO $9.60 130
SPACEDYED COTTON 2\20 Nm = 2 PLY FINE 100% MERCERIZED COTTON MULTI COLOURED $42.00 $2.10 1000
TONE 1\8 Nm = 2 1/2 PLY
42%EXTRAFINE MERINO 40%COTTON 18%POLIAMIDE
SMALL LOOP $61.00 $3.05 800
TASMAN WOOL 2\28 Nm 1 1/2 PLY 20.5 MICRON 100% VIRGIN MERINO SHRINK RESIST $78.00 $3.90 1400
ULTRALASTIC 50 Denier NYLON LYCRA ,YARN TO GIVE YOUR GARMENTS STRETCH $60.00 PER 1/2 CONE $3.00
VELLUTINO 1\7.5 Nm = 2 1/2 PLY 82% EXTRAFINE MERINO WOOL - POLIAMIDE $64.00 $3.20 700
VICTORIA 1\14Nm = 1 PLY FULL 68% EXTRAFINE MERINO WOOL - 32 % POLIAMIDE $64.00 $3.20 1400
Wool 2\16Nm = 2PLY 100% wool worsted yarn, suitable felting wool $47.00 $2.35 800
Wool 1\16 Nm = 1 PLY 100% wool worsted yarn, suitable felting wool $32.00 $1.60 1600
1/30 Cotton Lycra 1/30 Nm LT 1 PLY 100% COMBED COTTON WITH LYCRA 90/10 $35.00 $1.75 3000
ORGANIC WOOL 2/28Nm = 1 1/2PLY 20.5 MICRON $85.00 $4.25 1400
Sliver Coloured New Zealand Merino 21 Micron $69.00
Sliver Narural New Zealand Merino 21Micron $63.00
Sliver New Zealand Merino 100gram bumps $7.50
NOTE ON THE COLOURCARDS ORANGES AND BRIGHT REDS HAVE NOT SCANNED WELL IF IN DOUBT ASK
FOR A HANK OF YARN
OPENING TIMES MONDAY - THURSDAY 9.30am TO 5pm
FRIDAY 9.30am TO 3pm
Aug 5, 2012 12:25:37   #
polarchange
 
Try http://www.fairfieldyarns.co.uk/ Although their website isn't great, they ship worldwide and some of their prices are amazing. I paid £12.50 for 1kg merino/acrylic, same for cashmere/angora/synthetic. Cottons and synthetic yarn was less expensive.

For cashmere mixes, try www.colourmart.co.uk - their prices include shipping.

http://www.knitrennie.com/ does fabulous wools
http://www.shetlandwoolbrokers.co.uk
http://www.knitwitspenzance.co.uk/news.php?n_id=25
http://www.wools.co.uk/
http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/Knitting_Yarns_by_Weight.html
http://www.bedfordsewingandknitting.co.uk/ (they have an ebay shop, sell Rennie yarns BUT their Rennie cones are only 500g so more expensive than buying from Rennies direct)

So don't bother travelling to buy yarn, just wait in for the delivery! And when you've recovered from sorting your new stash, please show us your work!

Polly
Aug 5, 2012 13:12:46   #
headvase1
 
I just sent you a PM


Aug 5, 2012 15:44:26   #
Omnivore
 
Hi polarchange
I'm interested in what you have tosay and have printed off the information, to examine the site today.
Thank you so much : )
polarchange wrote:
Try http://www.fairfieldyarns.co.uk/ Although their website isn't great, they ship worldwide and some of their prices are amazing. I paid £12.50 for 1kg merino/acrylic, same for cashmere/angora/synthetic. Cottons and synthetic yarn was less expensive.

For cashmere mixes, try www.colourmart.co.uk - their prices include shipping.

http://www.knitrennie.com/ does fabulous wools
http://www.shetlandwoolbrokers.co.uk
http://www.knitwitspenzance.co.uk/news.php?n_id=25
http://www.wools.co.uk/
http://www.texere-yarns.co.uk/texereshop/Knitting_Yarns_by_Weight.html
http://www.bedfordsewingandknitting.co.uk/ (they have an ebay shop, sell Rennie yarns BUT their Rennie cones are only 500g so more expensive than buying from Rennies direct)

So don't bother travelling to buy yarn, just wait in for the delivery! And when you've recovered from sorting your new stash, please show us your work!

Polly
Try http://www.fairfieldyarns.co.uk/ Although the... (show quote)
 
Aug 5, 2012 16:14:45   #
Jean Dougall
 
Hi, I'm from Wellington and am involved with the NZ Machine Knitting Society.
If you look up their website you will find links to places selling coned yarns (there are quite a few in NZ) You might also find it helpful to join the Society as they can help with all sorts of things, like machine parts etc etc.
Aug 5, 2012 16:22:34   #
Omnivore
 
This is great people - golly I'm wishing I'd asked long ago! Thank you Jean : )
Aug 5, 2012 20:15:04   #
Rosemary28
 
Hi Omnivore

I live in Southland,NZ and I just wanted to endorse Jean Dougall's words about the NZ Machine Knitting Society. There is a strong group in the Christchurch area and contact details should be on the NZ Machine Knitters website. www.nzmks.org.nz
Aug 5, 2012 20:54:21   #
Omnivore
 
Hi and thank you Rosemary I've written that down.

Must start knitting a smock now - done nothing all day except weed and sort out family matters.
Rosemary28 wrote:
Hi Omnivore

I live in Southland,NZ and I just wanted to endorse Jean Dougall's words about the NZ Machine Knitting Society. There is a strong group in the Christchurch area and contact details should be on the NZ Machine Knitters website. www.nzmks.org.nz
Aug 6, 2012 01:39:38   #
LUCYMARIE
 
Hi, I buy a lot of yarn from Ebay. One of my favourite Sellers is Cooper2809. I have had some wonderful marino wool and various cottons. These yarns have always been top quality. I have just bought 1.2 kilo of Navy Merino for £15.00 plus postage. This yarn feels as soft as cashmere. This seller is well worth checking out. Regards Shirley
 
Aug 6, 2012 01:42:14   #
nwjasu
 
I wish that we did not have this distance problem because I have many 100's of pounds of 2/30's merino wool on cones left from when I made ski sweaters on Dubied machines. This is truly lace weight yarn. I have yet to fire up the two Passap machines I bought, that are to help me use this yarn.
Aug 6, 2012 02:04:14   #
Omnivore
 
Thank you for telling me about this. With everyone helping, I feel very lucky : )
LUCYMARIE wrote:
Hi, I buy a lot of yarn from Ebay. One of my favourite Sellers is Cooper2809. I have had some wonderful marino wool and various cottons. These yarns have always been top quality. I have just bought 1.2 kilo of Navy Merino for £15.00 plus postage. This yarn feels as soft as cashmere. This seller is well worth checking out. Regards Shirley
Aug 6, 2012 02:05:21   #
Omnivore
 
I thank you for the thought and feel I'll get very lucky at this rate : )
nwjasu wrote:
I wish that we did not have this distance problem because I have many 100's of pounds of 2/30's merino wool on cones left from when I made ski sweaters on Dubied machines. This is truly lace weight yarn. I have yet to fire up the two Passap machines I bought, that are to help me use this yarn.
Aug 7, 2012 01:38:36   #
LeAnn
 
Another idea is if you find some great yarn that is out of country maybe get together with other machine knitters and share the cost of shipping, just a thought.





Omnivore wrote:
Hi
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and haven't been able to find any yarn on cones, suitable for machine-knitting.

This is thwarting my wish to produce some one and two-ply lacy garments that aren't a shocking price. I know the yarn goes further as there's more to the ball, but still ... cone's better for many reasons, isn't it.

I'm after acrylic, wool, and blends.

Is it possible that someone can help me track down a local supplier? I can travel to Auckland, if necessary.
Hi br I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and have... (show quote)
Page: 1 2 next>>
          
Machine Knitting
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.