Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Is there an invisible seam for an infinity scarf???
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Dec 10, 2012 15:44:37   #
Sailgurl
 
I've looked in my books and on utube and I couldn't find an answer on how I can sew an invisible seam on a reversible infinity scarf. The cables are reversible. I made the scarf with a long tail cast on and i'm getting ready to bind off. I thought there should be some way to sew an invisible seam to connect the top and bottom of the scarf into a circle, but I couldn't find one for a horizontal seam. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to do this. My book says to do an running stitch or mattress stitch for this type of seam, but those are not invisible. Thank you for your advice and help
 
Dec 10, 2012 16:07:39   #
Yarn Happy (a regular here)
 
It would work best from live stitches, which would mean you needed to cast on with a provisional caston, so you could get back to live stitches, then the kitchener stitch would work great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmgE7YQkrFw
Dec 10, 2012 16:53:24   #
nonaka
 
I usually do those in the round - on double pointed needles.
But the provisional cast on is another good way, if you don't hate grafting too much.
Dec 10, 2012 17:14:45   #
Katsch (a regular here)
 
Since you didn't plan for it, at this point I would just bind off and sew together as neatly as you can and this seam would be the worn at the back of the neck. It won't be noticable.
Dec 10, 2012 18:59:11   #
no1girl (a regular here)
 
I would NOT be looking for invisible...............just neat small stitches and they will blend in with the knitting.

why would you want invisible????????
Dec 10, 2012 22:21:19   #
Sailgurl
 
I thought the seam should be invisible because the scarf is so long and I didn't want a seam to show. It would work so much better if the seam was invisible. It's too late to change the cast on. I've spent hours knitting the scarf. Thanks so much for trying to help. I guess I will just cast off and try to do small stitches.
 
Dec 10, 2012 23:25:05   #
no1girl (a regular here)
 
sew a stitch from one side and one from the other.....they should not show! best of luck with it!
Dec 11, 2012 06:06:56   #
laceandbits
 
A seam may not "show" as such but many of these long scarves are done with a soft feel and the seam will be stiffer. It also means that you have to find the seam each time you put it on so it is at the back.

I am doing one at the moment and have cast on with scrap and plan to graft the two ends together, probably with a twist to make it a mobias shape.

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't carefully undo your cast on row and put the resulting live stiches onto a needle, then graft the two sets of stitches together. The yarn you cast on with should be enough to graft the row.
Dec 11, 2012 06:46:06   #
doris bergemann
 
So glad you asked about seams., I am doing a hat, and am terrible a seam sewing, Put this in bookmark for future refrence.T hanks again. Happy Hollidays to you, and yours.
Dec 11, 2012 07:33:32   #
Sailgurl
 
laceandbits wrote:
A seam may not "show" as such but many of these long scarves are done with a soft feel and the seam will be stiffer. It also means that you have to find the seam each time you put it on so it is at the back.

I am doing one at the moment and have cast on with scrap and plan to graft the two ends together, probably with a twist to make it a mobias shape.

There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't carefully undo your cast on row and put the resulting live stiches onto a needle, then graft the two sets of stitches together. The yarn you cast on with should be enough to graft the row.
A seam may not "show" as such but many o... (show quote)


This is an excellent idea. I'm going to try it. So I will undo the cast on stitches, and I won't bind off the top of the scarf The top of the scarf will be on one knitting needle and the bottom of the scarf on another knitting needle. How do I sew it? Do I just sew one stitch from each needle? I've never done this before so I'm not sure???
Dec 11, 2012 07:38:46   #
Sailgurl
 
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. All the people in my family who knew how to knit have died. I'm stumped with how to finish seams so that my knitting looks finished perfectly. This kind of stuff drives me nuts. The info you've shared is invaluable and it's helping me take my knitting to the next level. That's why I love KP so much. It's like having a whole family of knitters!!!
Happy Holidays.
 
Dec 11, 2012 08:32:43   #
Quilter Pam
 
I made one by adding buttons to one side so it looks like a design feature. I used big buttons in a cool color and the pattern has k2 tog holes that work fine as buttonholes, so it works great and looks better than a seam.
Dec 11, 2012 08:38:19   #
nonaka
 
YouTube has several good tutorial videos which will show you exactly how to graft using the kitchener stitch. Try it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEXYKxmD_T8
Dec 11, 2012 09:23:03   #
Dsynr (a regular here)
 
Sailgurl wrote:
I've looked in my books and on utube and I couldn't find an answer on how I can sew an invisible seam on a reversible infinity scarf. The cables are reversible. I made the scarf with a long tail cast on and i'm getting ready to bind off. I thought there should be some way to sew an invisible seam to connect the top and bottom of the scarf into a circle, but I couldn't find one for a horizontal seam. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to do this. My book says to do an running stitch or mattress stitch for this type of seam, but those are not invisible. Thank you for your advice and help
I've looked in my books and on utube and I couldn'... (show quote)


:idea: http://www.studioknits.com/bookpage8.htm\
This site is a book online with all sorts of "How To Do It the Professional Way the First Time" with pics to show exactly how to do whatever you need to do. I swear by it!
Dec 11, 2012 09:29:30   #
Ronie
 
doris bergemann wrote:
So glad you asked about seams., I am doing a hat, and am terrible a seam sewing, Put this in bookmark for future refrence.T hanks again. Happy Hollidays to you, and yours.


Look up the mattress stitch.. its an amazing seam it virtually is invisable.. depending on the weight of you yarn you will see it from the inside but the outside no one will ever know where you seamed it.. I love this... I am running late as usual so I can't find a link for you... :( but any youtube video will be a good on for this technique...
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.