Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
KP forum software has been upgraded. You can read more here.
Please make sure to click My Profile link at the top and scroll down to Custom View Settings.
Why Would You Ever Want to Pay For Knitting and Crochet Patterns or Lessons When You Can Get All That for Free?
Read this:
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional knitter, then the benefits of signing up for our free weekly knitting e-mail newsletter are:

• We cover hand knitting, machine knitting, and crochet.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a knitting message board digest with the latest knitting pictures, discussions and patterns.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• Discover the fastest way to knit (and to crochet) a sock... while keeping the perfect heel and making sure the sock fits (not many knitters know this).

• Find out how to figure out how much yarn you need for a pattern if the pattern doesn't specify it (works for any project, a real life-saver sometimes).

• Learn how to pick up a dropped stitch, even from several rows below. It happens to absolutely everyone at some point. But don't worry, there exists a really simple fix.

• And if you ever run out of yarn, find out how to join any yarn in the middle of any project.

• If you can't find the pattern that you need, or if you don't know which pattern would be most appropriate for a specific project, then you can ask our other users to help you figure it out. We even have a dedicated "Pattern Requests" section on our website that's all about finding new patterns.

• The same goes for any problems and questions about specific techniques. We have experienced users who are always helping those in need with just the right advice.

• And of course, as I said it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for knitters and crocheters, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our knitting mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more knitting-related material (pictures, patterns, tips) than contained in all knitting books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

You'll be able to talk and share ideas with more knitters than you could meet if you attended all the largest trade shows. And you'll be able to do all that without leaving your house!

Don't delay! Join the best knitting and crochet community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our knitting forum: hundreds of great tips from other knitters.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
Main
Antique wool winders
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Mar 25, 2013 02:20:56   #
goodweh
 
Wow what an exciting find this weekend, I collect antique wool winders, and just this weekend I found a double one! Stands about 3 ft tall , wood , with two spools. It is just great for when you are using 2 colors.. no more tangles. I think I will be using this one for sure.. Still my favorite one is one my great grandmother used for winding large skeins (made out of an old log)
It is so much fun to collect antique knitting items!!!!
 
Mar 25, 2013 04:41:37   #
scottybearNSW (a regular here)
 
Lovely find for you. We mostly get our yarn in balls already wound, so we really dont have much use for them.
Mar 25, 2013 04:44:29   #
tks1991
 
How unique what a wonderful find for you.
Tami
Mar 25, 2013 06:40:19   #
Jacktana
 
How lucky for you! Would you post some pictures?
Mar 25, 2013 06:58:18   #
Ozebeaver
 
Have you seen this one on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primitive-1860-Antique-Wool-Yarn-Winder-/400318523055

I saw one like you are describing advertised in Victoria Australia over the weekend. Cannot find it now. It was similar to the new ball stands that you can buy that take a skein up to the one pound ball.
Mar 25, 2013 08:12:23   #
IndigoSpinner (a regular here)
 
When you say "wool winder," what do you mean?

The last topic I looked at was about "wool winders," and the person was talking about ball winders: a device to wind a center pull ball.

But the photo here is of a swift, and I suspect that the first description may also be of a swift.
 
Mar 25, 2013 23:26:43   #
Ozebeaver
 
Sorry the link said wool winder and I did not pay too much attention. The one I cannot find was a wool winder - basically a small stand or table with two spindles underneath that the yarn get wound on.

I cannot find the pic to include.
Mar 26, 2013 00:08:20   #
IndigoSpinner (a regular here)
 
Ozebeaver wrote:
Sorry the link said wool winder and I did not pay too much attention. The one I cannot find was a wool winder - basically a small stand or table with two spindles underneath that the yarn get wound on.

I cannot find the pic to include.


I never heard of such a thing.

You'll have to provide a better description. What does it DO? "Wool winder" is so vague. You could apply it to a ball winder, a swift, and possibly even a niddy noddy. Some of the first spinning jennies might nearly fit your description, but they spin.
Mar 26, 2013 00:22:20   #
IndigoSpinner (a regular here)
 
I did an internet search for "wool winder," thinking you got that name from somebody on the internet who called something that when they didn't know what it was, and found a skein winder. It's like a big wheel in a stand that lets you wind skeins. Could that be it?
Mar 26, 2013 00:42:15   #
Ozebeaver
 
I have been trying to find the ad again. It is a Victorian era item that was advertised here in Oz. Now the closest thing I can see to it without a top etc is this 'Lazy Kate'

http://www.ashford.co.nz/newsite/spinning-accessories/149/spinning/lazy-kate/moredetail.html

The old one had space for two skeins and I think now that it was probably used in conjunction with a spinning wheel.
Mar 26, 2013 01:03:10   #
IndigoSpinner (a regular here)
 
That's an Ashford lazy kate, made in NZ.

It holds bobbins so you can pull the singles off and ply them.

Yarn is spun and wound onto bobbins on a spinning wheel for temporary storage and later plying.

I never would have guessed you meant a kate by saying wool winder. It has nothing to do with winding either wool or yarn.

Yes. That's a lazy kate.
 
Mar 26, 2013 06:42:09   #
ForgetfulFi
 
lostarts wrote:
That's an Ashford lazy kate, made in NZ.

It holds bobbins so you can pull the singles off and ply them.

Yarn is spun and wound onto bobbins on a spinning wheel for temporary storage and later plying.

I never would have guessed you meant a kate by saying wool winder. It has nothing to do with winding either wool or yarn.

Yes. That's a lazy kate.

I'm sure she didn't mean to upset you. Will you justget off your high horse and stop being such a mean bully.
I get sick of all these arguments about wool winders, yarn winders, skeins, hanks etc etc. Lets just talk about what this forum is about, KNITTING.
Mar 26, 2013 06:43:27   #
ForgetfulFi
 
Ozebeaver wrote:
Have you seen this one on ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primitive-1860-Antique-Wool-Yarn-Winder-/400318523055

I saw one like you are describing advertised in Victoria Australia over the weekend. Cannot find it now. It was similar to the new ball stands that you can buy that take a skein up to the one pound ball.


I looked at this advert on ebay. It def says Antique wool yarn winder.
Mar 26, 2013 06:45:49   #
ForgetfulFi
 
goodweh wrote:
Wow what an exciting find this weekend, I collect antique wool winders, and just this weekend I found a double one! Stands about 3 ft tall , wood , with two spools. It is just great for when you are using 2 colors.. no more tangles. I think I will be using this one for sure.. Still my favorite one is one my great grandmother used for winding large skeins (made out of an old log)
It is so much fun to collect antique knitting items!!!!


I'm very happy you like collecting antique wool winders and have found a good one. Pretty sure you didn't mean for this to turn into a mean bullying attack on our Oz friend. Anyway I believe the "swift" would have evolved from some antique wool winder.
Mar 26, 2013 09:41:22   #
IndigoSpinner (a regular here)
 
ForgetfulFi wrote:
I'm sure she didn't mean to upset you. Will you justget off your high horse and stop being such a mean bully.
I get sick of all these arguments about wool winders, yarn winders, skeins, hanks etc etc. Lets just talk about what this forum is about, KNITTING.


Sorry. I didn't mean to sound snippy or rude.

I had just finished doing an internet search for "wool winder," which is a term I've never heard a fiberartist use, and came across a really big pile of misinformation, some of it put up there by a museum, and the people there should either know better, or find out more about what they're talking about. I was irked at somebody who would think that a clothespin was an original part of the design of a kate, plus more misinformation.

I didn't realize I'd let it spill over onto my post.
Page: 1 2 next>>
          
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.