Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
Why Would You Ever Want to Pay For Knitting and Crochet Patterns or Lessons When You Can Get All That for Free?
Read this:
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional knitter, then the benefits of signing up for our free weekly knitting e-mail newsletter are:

• We cover hand knitting, machine knitting, and crochet.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a knitting message board digest with the latest knitting pictures, discussions and patterns.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• Discover the fastest way to knit (and to crochet) a sock... while keeping the perfect heel and making sure the sock fits (not many knitters know this).

• Find out how to figure out how much yarn you need for a pattern if the pattern doesn't specify it (works for any project, a real life-saver sometimes).

• Learn how to pick up a dropped stitch, even from several rows below. It happens to absolutely everyone at some point. But don't worry, there exists a really simple fix.

• And if you ever run out of yarn, find out how to join any yarn in the middle of any project.

• If you can't find the pattern that you need, or if you don't know which pattern would be most appropriate for a specific project, then you can ask our other users to help you figure it out. We even have a dedicated "Pattern Requests" section on our website that's all about finding new patterns.

• The same goes for any problems and questions about specific techniques. We have experienced users who are always helping those in need with just the right advice.

• And of course, as I said it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for knitters and crocheters, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our knitting mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more knitting-related material (pictures, patterns, tips) than contained in all knitting books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

You'll be able to talk and share ideas with more knitters than you could meet if you attended all the largest trade shows. And you'll be able to do all that without leaving your house!

Don't delay! Join the best knitting and crochet community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our knitting forum: hundreds of great tips from other knitters.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
Pictures
Patons Lace Pretty Triangle Shawl (Having a problem)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Apr 16, 2013 13:41:48   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
I have been knitting the Patons Lace Pretty Triangle Shawl for approximately 15 inches with the required 207 stst before starting the ruffle. I wonder if anyone has knitted this shawl and has had a problem. The instructions and the yarn Patons Lace Sachet) are fine. My problem is the shawl is way too small to begin a ruffle. I feel the shawl should be at least double in size than I have. I have e-mailed the Paton site but have not received a reply. My guess is I may have to eliminate the ruffle and just keep knitting until I feel the size is right. Anyone have any other ideas? Would appreciate your views or experience with knitting this shawl.
Thanks for looking!
Edie (EdithAnn) :idea: ;)


 
Apr 16, 2013 13:49:43   #
CathyAnn
 
Edie, I notice that it has a shawlette version and a larger version... I'm looking at the pattern description on Ravelry.

Does that help??? I'd make it larger by adding more repeats of the body, and quite possibly making the border deeper.
Apr 16, 2013 13:54:44   #
MissNettie (a regular here)
 
That is why I like to start at the point of the shawl (not sure whether you call it the top or the bottom, but you can just keep going until it is big enough to suit you. I wish I could start this shawl that way. Does anyone have a way I can do that?
Apr 16, 2013 14:04:27   #
galaxycraft
 
Yours doesn't look as open a lace pattern as the pattern.
Are you forgetting to do the...
2nd and alt rows: K2. Purl to last 2 sts. K2.

And when you get to 207 stitches, you still have 4 more rows to do before border, for a total of 215 stitches.
The border is worked for another 20 rows.

Measurements: Approx 56 ins [142 cm] wide x 26 ins[66 cm] deep at center back.
Apr 16, 2013 14:08:57   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
CathyAnn wrote:
Edie, I notice that it has a shawlette version and a larger version... I'm looking at the pattern description on Ravelry.

Does that help??? I'd make it larger by adding more repeats of the body, and quite possibly making the border deeper.


Hi Cathy Ann, thanks...even the shawlette version would be too small. I probably will have to do more repeats. Thanks for writing.
Edie :P
Apr 16, 2013 14:13:41   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
galaxycraft wrote:
Yours doesn't look as open a lace pattern as the pattern.
Are you forgetting to do the...
2nd and alt rows: K2. Purl to last 2 sts. K2.

And when you get to 207 stitches, you still have 4 more rows to do before border, for a total of 215 stitches.
The border is worked for another 10 rows.

Measurements: Approx 56 ins [142 cm] wide x 26 ins[66 cm] deep at center back.

Hi Galaxycraft...thanks for responding. Nope, I did do all the alternate purl rows. Yes, I still have 4 more rows to do before the border..but that still won't make it much larger.
And, the border worked for another 10 rows will also not make a big difference in size. Perhaps, mine doesn't look as open as I have it on the needles not really stretched out. Or, it hasn't been blocked. This yarn is light and the needle size (as suggested) is a size 4. I have been knitting for over 60 years and never had this problem before...challenge, huh???? Things could be worse...lol...
Edie (EdithAnn)
:-P
 
Apr 16, 2013 14:20:00   #
galaxycraft
 
Okay, there does seem to be problems with this pattern...
It appears that Patons had made corrections, but changed something else inadvertently. :(
Here are the comments from Ravelry.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/splatterpunked/pretty-triangle-shawl
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Doberwoman/pretty-triangle-shawl
Does note that the shawl is smaller than measurements say.
Apr 16, 2013 14:23:48   #
Lynx
 
I am not very au fait with lace knitting yet but could it just be that once it is blocked it will stretch the shawl to the measurements listed in the pattern?
Apr 16, 2013 14:38:19   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
galaxycraft wrote:
Okay, there does seem to be problems with this pattern...
It appears that Patons had made corrections, but changed something else inadvertently. :(
Here are the comments from Ravelry.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/splatterpunked/pretty-triangle-shawl
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Doberwoman/pretty-triangle-shawl
Does note that the shawl is smaller than measurements say.

Hi again Galaxycraft...thank you so much for the information you posted. The knitted shawl on Ravelry was small too, and she added several extra rows for the border. I don't think I will be happy with that look. Therefore, I will just keep knitting until I get the length I want and may, or may not, add a border. Thanks again for being so helpful.
Edie (EdithAnn)
:thumbup:
Apr 16, 2013 14:40:20   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
Lynx wrote:
I am not very au fait with lace knitting yet but could it just be that once it is blocked it will stretch the shawl to the measurements listed in the pattern?


Hi Lynx, thank you for writing. Wish the blocking would help, but I'm afraid it would still be too small. Read the information now given to me by GalaxyCraft. Someone else had the same problem of the shawl being too small.
Edie (EdithAnn) :-D
Apr 16, 2013 14:43:31   #
galaxycraft
 
edithann wrote:
Hi again Galaxycraft...thank you so much for the information you posted. The knitted shawl on Ravelry was small too, and she added several extra rows for the border. I don't think I will be happy with that look. Therefore, I will just keep knitting until I get the length I want and may, or may not, add a border. Thanks again for being so helpful.
Edie (EdithAnn)
:thumbup:

Thank goodness it is a free pattern, if I had to pay for it and then "fudge" it, I would be a very unhappy camper.
I hope you can accomplish it to the point it is acceptable.
Good luck.
 
Apr 16, 2013 14:47:51   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
galaxycraft wrote:
Thank goodness it is a free pattern, if I had to pay for it and then "fudge" it, I would be a very unhappy camper.
I hope you can accomplish it to the point it is acceptable.
Good luck.


Ha, ha ....to add to the story for you. I first saw this pattern in a booklet by Patons. The booklet was not free, so I decided not to buy it. Then, I found it on Patons' site for FREE!! Can you imagine...buyer beware! Glad I didn't purchase the booklet. Yes, I will fix it to my "liking." Thank you once again. This is definitely a first big problem for me!!
Happy Knitting!
Edie (EdithAnn) ;)
Apr 16, 2013 16:26:25   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
Thanks to all! :-D
Apr 17, 2013 06:16:46   #
helcia50
 
It looks like there are not enough increases to make the triangle. it is too straight. it looks like at this point it will never go over the arms like a shawl.
I think that is the problem.????
Apr 17, 2013 07:56:02   #
edithann (a regular here)
 
helcia50 wrote:
It looks like there are not enough increases to make the triangle. it is too straight. it looks like at this point it will never go over the arms like a shawl.
I think that is the problem.????


Hi Helcia50, thank you for writing. You have a good point. There are only 4 extra sts every other row. I think the only thing I can do at this time, is keep going with more rows and then decide if I want to add the ruffle. Of course, it does have a lot of stretch and will change once it's blocked (hopefully!!) I will certainly have to do a lot more knitting and hope I don't run out of yarn (has been discontinued.)
Edie (EdithAnn) :-D
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
          
Pictures
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.