Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Search | Login | Register | Help
Why Would You Ever Want to Pay For Knitting and Crochet Patterns or Lessons When You Can Get All That for Free?
Read this:
 

If you are a beginner, intermediate, advanced, or a professional knitter, then the benefits of signing up for our free weekly knitting e-mail newsletter are:

• We cover hand knitting, machine knitting, and crochet.

• Each week you'll be receiving new tips and techniques.

• Daily, you'll be receiving a knitting message board digest with the latest knitting pictures, discussions and patterns.

• If you ever have a question or need help, you can always ask, and we'll cover your question in the following newsletter issue.

• Discover the fastest way to knit (and to crochet) a sock... while keeping the perfect heel and making sure the sock fits (not many knitters know this).

• Find out how to figure out how much yarn you need for a pattern if the pattern doesn't specify it (works for any project, a real life-saver sometimes).

• Learn how to pick up a dropped stitch, even from several rows below. It happens to absolutely everyone at some point. But don't worry, there exists a really simple fix.

• And if you ever run out of yarn, find out how to join any yarn in the middle of any project.

• If you can't find the pattern that you need, or if you don't know which pattern would be most appropriate for a specific project, then you can ask our other users to help you figure it out. We even have a dedicated "Pattern Requests" section on our website that's all about finding new patterns.

• The same goes for any problems and questions about specific techniques. We have experienced users who are always helping those in need with just the right advice.

• And of course, as I said it's all completely FREE!

• Let me repeat that. Since for some reason a lot of people contact us asking if the membership is really free: we are a social website for knitters and crocheters, so we don't sell anything, and we don't charge any fees. It's as simple as that.

Enter your name and e-mail address below, and you'll be instantly added to our knitting mailing list distribution. Right away, you'll get access to more knitting-related material (pictures, patterns, tips) than contained in all knitting books and magazines you could ever buy. And you'll get all that for free.

You'll be able to talk and share ideas with more knitters than you could meet if you attended all the largest trade shows. And you'll be able to do all that without leaving your house!

Don't delay! Join the best knitting and crochet community on the Internet.

First name:

E-mail address:

It's FREE, and you'll receive my first e-mail right away. Also, you'll get instant access to the most recent topics on our knitting forum: hundreds of great tips from other knitters.

(A new newsletter issue is released each week. So if you don't sign up now, you'll miss this week's digest.)

 
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
about our National anthem
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
May 6, 2013 13:58:38   #
dollknitter
 
this was just sent to me and I agree...comment?

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan .

"So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the
next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting
event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your
concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in
kindergarten - straight up, no styling.

"Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and
Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world.
Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification.
Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets
wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans
and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country
they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician.
They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage.

Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility
that tells the audience that it is about America , not you.
Francis Scott Key does not need any help."

Semper Fi
 
May 6, 2013 14:03:28   #
knitwitconnie
 
Great advice!
May 6, 2013 14:05:12   #
MissNettie (a regular here)
 
I agree wholeheartedly. Sick of hearing them murder The Star Spangled Banner.
May 6, 2013 14:06:50   #
Peoline
 
I get very Geary when I hear our National Anthem. I thank a soldier when ever I come across one. Hope more people becomes aware of what the National Anthem represents.
Thank you,
May 6, 2013 14:10:32   #
Colonial Cat
 
So totally agree with you .
May 6, 2013 14:12:06   #
Gail Sullivan
 
I would like to see the crowd at a sporting advent sing the National Anthem,
Instead of those self-centered rock star or actors whom just want the attention. They show no respect at all.
 
May 6, 2013 14:12:09   #
nanacari
 
I too am tired of so-called superstars mangling our National Anthem. Just sing it as it was meant to be, leave your interpretations for whatever junk you want to sing at a pop-concert.
May 6, 2013 14:15:17   #
radar
 
I am not American but I have to agree with that soldier's sentiments.I will tell you this tho'...many of of us Canadians feel as much pride in the American anthem as you do, and it brings tears to my eyes too. We are closer than you think.
May 6, 2013 14:15:43   #
Redhead1951
 
I agree 100% with this sentiment about the Star Spangled Banner. However, I have a small little wish that our national anthem was a wee bit easier to sing. I kinda prefer America the Beautiful myself. :D :-D
May 6, 2013 14:24:19   #
alese
 
I am going to steal it from here and post it on facebook. hopefully it will be reposted a LOT!
dollknitter wrote:
this was just sent to me and I agree...comment?

From a Marine Corps Colonel in Afghanistan .

"So with all the kindness I can muster, I give this one piece of advice to the
next pop star who is asked to sing the national anthem at a sporting
event: save the vocal gymnastics and the physical gyrations for your
concerts. Just sing this song the way you were taught to sing it in
kindergarten - straight up, no styling.

"Sing it with the constant awareness that there are soldiers, sailors, airmen and
Marines watching you from bases and outposts all over the world.
Don't make them cringe with your self-centered ego gratification.
Sing it as if you are standing before a row of 86-year-old WWII vets
wearing their Purple Hearts, Silver Stars and flag pins on their cardigans
and you want them to be proud of you for honoring them and the country
they love - not because you want them to think you are a superstar musician.
They could see that from your costume, makeup and your entourage.

Sing 'The Star Spangled Banner' with the courtesy and humility
that tells the audience that it is about America , not you.
Francis Scott Key does not need any help."

Semper Fi
this was just sent to me and I agree...comment? br... (show quote)
May 6, 2013 14:24:26   #
sten66
 
Gail Sullivan wrote:
I would like to see the crowd at a sporting advent sing the National Anthem,
Instead of those self-centered rock star or actors whom just want the attention. They show no respect at all.


I agree. A crowd singing together is unbelievably moving.
 
May 6, 2013 14:30:19   #
alese
 
since the horrible bombings at the recent Boston Marathon, boston sports crowds now sing the anthem all together. it is very moving. and it brings us all together even more. BOSTON STRONG here!
sten66 wrote:
I agree. A crowd singing together is unbelievably moving.
May 6, 2013 14:41:40   #
DonnieK
 
Personally, I think the entire congregation needs to be standing, singing, and their hands to their hearts. This is AMERICA. I am proud to be an American. I think one of the first things besides speaking English of course is that anyone wishing to become a citizen know the words to the anthem. I don't want to see somebody grabbing at their crotch and jumping around all over the place and wrecking the pride that Americans should have when they are singing that song. They should be proud to have been asked, they should feel humbled that they were invited to lead the song, they should have American soldiers on their minds and their eyes should be full of proud tears for our great country. We may be down and weak right now, but AMERICANS are not going to stand it for much longer.
May 6, 2013 15:25:13   #
StellasKnits (a regular here)
 
radar wrote:
I am not American but I have to agree with that soldier's sentiments.I will tell you this tho'...many of of us Canadians feel as much pride in the American anthem as you do, and it brings tears to my eyes too. We are closer than you think.


Most of us Americans think of Canadians the same way. Sort of like a sibling rivalry I think! We can make fun of each other but don't anyone else dare do the same or there will be the devil to pay! :thumbup:
May 6, 2013 15:26:49   #
StellasKnits (a regular here)
 
I couldn't agree more. I get enraged when I see people talking and laughing during the times our national anthem is sung. I feel no hesitation to glare at the offender who is wearing a hat and ask them to remove their cover or talking and SHUSHING them!
Page: 1 2 next>>
          
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.