Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
slip stitch at beginning of row
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Jun 3, 2013 07:21:05   #
amarj
 
I am working on a wrap and on the pearl side (wrong side), I slip the first stitch. Have done great remembering to do that UNTIL the last 5"!!! Just notice last night that I have forgotten to do it. Rats!

Is there a way to fix it (like I would a slipped stitch in the middle)?? Before I back it out to that point, thought I would check!

If so, how can I do it??

thanks!
Judy
 
Jun 3, 2013 07:28:01   #
dccjb (a regular here)
 
Not sure if this site would help

http://techknitting.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/fixing-errors-at-sides-edges-of-your.html
Jun 3, 2013 07:37:45   #
tdorminey (a regular here)
 


Yes, that is exactly what she needs. I have used that several times and it works very well. It will look a little funny at first but can be pulled into shape; after washing, you will never see the fix.
Jun 3, 2013 08:03:10   #
amarj
 
But I haven't lost the stitches yet ... just didn't do them as I worked. I purled the first stitch instead of slipping it. So I just unravel along the edge?
Jun 3, 2013 09:00:08   #
dalex1945
 
amarj wrote:
But I haven't lost the stitches yet ... just didn't do them as I worked. I purled the first stitch instead of slipping it. So I just unravel along the edge?


Yes, you can carefully unravel the edge, just the first stitch, and then pick it up as in the first illustration. I have done this, and it works.
Jun 3, 2013 10:00:17   #
amarj
 
so I would need to unravel all the way down?

It's several rows (about 30) that I missed doing the slip at the beginning.

I've unraveled in the middle of a project to catch a knit that should have been a purl or vice versa, but, never at the beginning.

Is it the same for the edge.

That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I don't want to make it worse than it already is and maybe it would be faster to back it out.
 
Jun 3, 2013 16:53:10   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
amarj wrote:
so I would need to unravel all the way down?

It's several rows (about 30) that I missed doing the slip at the beginning.

I've unraveled in the middle of a project to catch a knit that should have been a purl or vice versa, but, never at the beginning.

Is it the same for the edge.

That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I don't want to make it worse than it already is and maybe it would be faster to back it out.
IF you try to drop down just the mistaken stitches at the very edge and succeed, you'll have saved yourself a ton of ripping/reknitting.
If you get totally screwed up in trying to fix just the edge stitches, you do the ripping/reknitting.

Or, you can just leave it as is and chalk it up to learning.

KNOW THIS: There are NOT ANY stupid questions. If you have a question, probably there are seventeen-dozen others with the same question, but who're too shy to ask it. So, ask away!
Jun 3, 2013 22:10:25   #
Cindy M
 
The problem is that we knitters are our own worst critics. A non knitter wouldn't even pay attention to it. There's no knitting police here. I say ignore it and move on unless it's something that's a complicated pattern and a glaring difference.
Jun 3, 2013 22:23:00   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
Cindy M wrote:
The problem is that we knitters are our own worst critics. A non knitter wouldn't even pay attention to it. There's no knitting police here. I say ignore it and move on unless it's something that's a complicated pattern and a glaring difference.
:thumbup:
Jun 4, 2013 06:37:07   #
grandmatimestwo (a regular here)
 
Cindy M wrote:
The problem is that we knitters are our own worst critics. A non knitter wouldn't even pay attention to it. There's no knitting police here. I say ignore it and move on unless it's something that's a complicated pattern and a glaring difference.


I agree completely!
Jun 4, 2013 08:22:37   #
dalex1945
 
grandmatimestwo wrote:
I agree completely!


I also agree, unless you are a perfectionist like me. If it's not right, I would always know it wasn't right, and it would haunt me until I fixed it. Non-knitters will never know the difference, so if you can live with it, just let it go.
 
Jun 4, 2013 11:07:26   #
Dsynr (a regular here)
 
I agree with the "Let-it-be" school. As JJ has often said, "If it can't be seen from the back of a glloping horse" or won't throw off the pattern or otherwise ruin the piece, LEAVE IT ALONE!
ON THE OTHER HAND,
If U just want to learn the technique, here's a perfect chance!
Do what U feel best in any event; and ENJOY your craft!
Jun 4, 2013 13:17:12   #
Tennessee.Gal
 
If it were me, I'd leave it as it is. Trying to fix it sounds like a hassle.
Jun 4, 2013 22:06:00   #
Rafiki (a regular here)
 

My Oh My!! - I learn something new on a regular basis on this site - thank you all. I have knitted and crocheted for years but there is still so much I do not know - thanks to KPers - I continue to learn new and interesting things. I would have frogged it until the error and redone it.
 
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.