Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures(new!!!) | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Magic loop for sweater sleeves?
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Aug 20, 2013 06:55:07   #
misslucille40
 
Has anyone on here used the magic loop method for sweater sleeves on the round? I'm making a sweater on a 40" cable and don't have dpn's in the correct size to do the sleeves. Thought this would save me a few dollars.
 
Aug 20, 2013 07:01:28   #
mopgenorth
 
you can absolutely do sleeves with magic loop - you can even do them two at a time; I have done this several times.
Aug 20, 2013 07:03:17   #
Sharonll
 
Hi,
I do everything on circulars including two at a time socks from the toe up.
Sleeves are very easy, just divide your stitches in two and arrange your cable as you would for any other magic loop project.
SharonLL
Aug 20, 2013 07:03:40   #
sophie11
 
I only use dpn. This works for me and I enjoy it. Probably will never us another method.
Aug 20, 2013 07:10:22   #
misslucille40
 
Thank you. I think I'll try it.Not too sure about two at once. Think the first time I'll just try one.
Aug 20, 2013 07:16:42   #
LBush1144
 
Yes, I am in the process of finishing a cropped cardi and am using magic loop for the sleeves. I dislike sewing up sleeves if I can avoid it.
 
Aug 20, 2013 07:22:21   #
misslucille40
 
LBush1144 wrote:
Yes, I am in the process of finishing a cropped cardi and am using magic loop for the sleeves. I dislike sewing up sleeves if I can avoid it.

Amen to that! I have a UFO from two years ago.All knitted and stashed till I get ready to stitch it together. I have a sewing shop.The LAST thing I want to do when I get home is sew! In the round for me all the way!
Aug 20, 2013 07:24:25   #
Debiknit (a regular here)
 
I do sleeves using magic loop. I pick up around sleeve
opening and work down to the cuff. No sewing, no seaming.
Love it!!
Aug 20, 2013 07:25:05   #
RoxyCatlady (a regular here)
 
I've been doing sweater sleeves two at a time magic loop ever since I first "got" the method... Before that, I did them two at a time back and forth on the needles, or in the round on double points.
Aug 20, 2013 07:27:33   #
lifeline (a regular here)
 
In fear of repeating the answers you've already been given, I too knit sleeves with magic loop. I'm so glad I discovered this method earlier this year.
Aug 20, 2013 07:28:45   #
kathleenTC (a regular here)
 
Yes, I do two at a time sleeves in the round. Once you get going it is great.
 
Aug 20, 2013 07:30:40   #
lifeline (a regular here)
 
RoxyCatlady wrote:
I've been doing sweater sleeves two at a time magic loop ever since I first "got" the method... Before that, I did them two at a time back and forth on the needles, or in the round on double points.


I am looking at going into this 'two at a time' business...just a little unsure about making the first step. Do you have any good sites or videos you could could recommend and point me in the direction of, please?
Aug 20, 2013 08:20:28   #
RoxyCatlady (a regular here)
 
lifeline wrote:
I am looking at going into this 'two at a time' business...just a little unsure about making the first step. Do you have any good sites or videos you could could recommend and point me in the direction of, please?


Unfortunately, I can't recommend sites or videos, as I used neither!! I did use a knitty.com pattern for socks that used the two circular method to do one sock at a time. I then would cast on for two socks with double points, then transfer to the two circular. I was with a friend who used the magic loop to do two at a time once, when knitting the two on two circs, when I accidently grabbed the wrong needle, and ended up knitting with "magic loop" and she said something like "and that is how you learn to do it".

Anyway, I basically worked out on my own how to cast on, then how to deal with the heals, without following any directions from the internet (and I rarely watch videos of techniques; not everyone has the latest and greatest equipment to make watching videos easy or even possible). I have at various times looked at some directions that others have linked to, and confirmed that the methods I worked out are the same as what everyone else seems to do.

I'm sure, though, that there are others here who would be willing and able to point you at tutorials and videos, or you could try google or youtube searches - I'm sure you'll find one that you like :)
Aug 20, 2013 09:06:23   #
lifeline (a regular here)
 
RoxyCatlady wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't recommend sites or videos, as I used neither!! I did use a knitty.com pattern for socks that used the two circular method to do one sock at a time. I then would cast on for two socks with double points, then transfer to the two circular. I was with a friend who used the magic loop to do two at a time once, when knitting the two on two circs, when I accidently grabbed the wrong needle, and ended up knitting with "magic loop" and she said something like "and that is how you learn to do it".

Anyway, I basically worked out on my own how to cast on, then how to deal with the heals, without following any directions from the internet (and I rarely watch videos of techniques; not everyone has the latest and greatest equipment to make watching videos easy or even possible). I have at various times looked at some directions that others have linked to, and confirmed that the methods I worked out are the same as what everyone else seems to do.

I'm sure, though, that there are others here who would be willing and able to point you at tutorials and videos, or you could try google or youtube searches - I'm sure you'll find one that you like :)
Unfortunately, I can't recommend sites or videos, ... (show quote)


Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I think I'm going to have to try and jump in there...I think really I am procrastinating as I have enjoyed doing socks...second sock syndrome...but one day I will do it :-D
Aug 20, 2013 10:09:10   #
KnitterNatalie (a regular here)
 
misslucille40 wrote:
Has anyone on here used the magic loop method for sweater sleeves on the round? I'm making a sweater on a 40" cable and don't have dpn's in the correct size to do the sleeves. Thought this would save me a few dollars.


I use Magic Loop for everything, and haven't run into a problem yet! Happy knitting!
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
          
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.