Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
checkerboard slippers
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Sep 22, 2013 11:07:25   #
gakernil
 
I have knit for years but prefer crochet. got my needles out to try my hand at the checkerboard slippers and am amazed at how slow I am at doing one. Is it just slow knitting or is it me? have wanted to make these slippers for years and couldn't figure them out and with today's computer help, I am on the right road, just slow?
 
Sep 22, 2013 11:40:46   #
crispie (a regular here)
 
Is this the one? http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/checkerboard-slippers-2
Cute slippers. I have not made these, but do find that when I have to change colors it takes more time. The more color/yarn switching, the more time involved.
Sep 22, 2013 12:12:02   #
gakernil
 
thanks, it just seems like I am getting slower but have not changed colors in a number of years, will just keep plugging along. determined to make these!
Sep 22, 2013 15:51:24   #
Joy Marshall (a regular here)
 
They are awfully cute slippers. Am sure you will find they are worth the extra work. And changing colours all the time is work, and slows you down.
Sep 22, 2013 18:20:58   #
SouthernGirl (a regular here)
 
They are cute.
Sep 23, 2013 08:56:47   #
Fluffysmom
 
Try making the same pattern in one color. I've seen the pattern for that same slipper but in one color. No idea where I saw the pattern.
 
Sep 23, 2013 09:57:41   #
morgansam51
 
gakernil wrote:
I have knit for years but prefer crochet. got my needles out to try my hand at the checkerboard slippers and am amazed at how slow I am at doing one. Is it just slow knitting or is it me? have wanted to make these slippers for years and couldn't figure them out and with today's computer help, I am on the right road, just slow?


I'm trying to get up the nerve to make these! My grandmother used to make these all the time and they were extremely popular among all the girls in the family. They make your feet feel wonderful. My grandmother has been gone for some time now and my Mom tried to remember how to knit them. One day she sat down with me and tried to walk me through the pattern - all the pulling you have to do was murder on my fingers! I do have some arthritis in my fingers. I do have some real good patterns, one with real specific directions that I plan to attempt one day. I think it probably not only takes more time with changing colors but also with pulling the yarn. Good luck!
Sep 23, 2013 11:21:44   #
gdhavens (a regular here)
 
I think it may just be because you crochet more than knit. I find, for me, crocheting goes much faster than knitting, but uses a bit more yarn. Knitting goes slower, but I still prefer it.
Sep 23, 2013 13:18:11   #
DickWorrall
 
My wife's aunt, who passed recently, used to make those years ago.
We all loved them.
Dick
Sep 23, 2013 14:28:56   #
jvallas (a regular here)
 
Those remind me a lot of this cute little old-fashioned tea cozy.
http://teabythesea.blogspot.com/2008/04/grannies-traditional-tea-cozy.html

My mom made one for me and one for my daughter using a different pattern but looking almost identical, and she'd learned to make them when she was a young girl in Australia. She's 86 now, so that's a "vintage" pattern, as I imagine the slippers are!
(Not my Mom's)
(Not my Mom's)...
(Mom's)
(Mom's)...
Sep 23, 2013 16:00:05   #
SGale
 
I just learned to make them last year. I made mine just a tad too long and they slip off my foot but I plan to make another pair since they are so comfortable.

The ravelry site has the pattern posted by some kind person, as a PDF file since the original posted pattern is no longer available.

I took note of the tea pot cozy picture someone posted and am struck as to how easy it would be to adjust the pattern to make a toilet roll cover and/or a tissue box cover with the same basic pattern.

I just love the ideas that are shared here!
 
Sep 23, 2013 17:41:35   #
sseidel
 
jvallas wrote:
Those remind me a lot of this cute little old-fashioned tea cozy.
http://teabythesea.blogspot.com/2008/04/grannies-traditional-tea-cozy.html

My mom made one for me and one for my daughter using a different pattern but looking almost identical, and she'd learned to make them when she was a young girl in Australia. She's 86 now, so that's a "vintage" pattern, as I imagine the slippers are!


Love the slippers, my mother and grandmother used to make these. I have the pattern but have not made them. Love the tea cozy, thanks for posting the pattern, I may make it before the slippers to surprise my sister.

:thumbup:
Sep 23, 2013 17:47:59   #
DenzelsMa
 
I would be slow doing those. It's probably all the colour changes that slow you down.
Di
Sep 23, 2013 17:49:12   #
jvallas (a regular here)
 
sseidel wrote:
Love the slippers, my mother and grandmother used to make these. I have the pattern but have not made them. Love the tea cozy, thanks for posting the pattern, I may make it before the slippers to surprise my sister.

:thumbup:


You're welcome. The advantage of the tea cozy (same as the slippers, I'm sure) is it's so well insulated because of the extra fabric with the stranding at the back.
Sep 24, 2013 18:46:15   #
grammacat
 
Actually you have both colors as working yarn. Knit with color A, drop A and pick up B give it a little tug and knit, then repeat. After a few rows you reverse color pattern.
 
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.