Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
High Tea in Vancouver, Canada
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jan 31, 2016 13:27:35   #
Toddytoo
 
My DIL is looking forward to having High Tea when we take a vacation in Vancouver in a few weeks. I have gone to various sites like: thierry, finchs and faubourg but they seem more like high class creative sandwich places. Butchart Gardens offer the type of menu I'm accustomed to, but the price is a little prohibitive. Does anyone have a favorite place in Vancouver that is reasonably priced and that you would recommend? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.
 
Jan 31, 2016 13:32:44   #
Marly
 
Toddytoo wrote:
My DIL is looking forward to having High Tea when we take a vacation in Vancouver in a few weeks. I have gone to various sites like: thierry, finchs and faubourg but they seem more like high class creative sandwich places. Butchart Gardens offer the type of menu I'm accustomed to, but the price is a little prohibitive. Does anyone have a favorite place in Vancouver that is reasonably priced and that you would recommend? Thank you for any assistance you can offer.


Dont know of where in Vancouver, but here in Victoria there is the famous Empress Hotel, never been and it is probably pricey also, what isn't now a days.
Marly
Jan 31, 2016 13:51:54   #
Mauigirl
 
The Empress IS pricey - if still open Billy Bunters was very nice - think I have the name right - it was a few years ago
Jan 31, 2016 13:55:46   #
Sine
 
Many, many years ago I went to High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria. When I walked in the front door I saw a advertisement to add champagne to your High Tea. Since I don't drink tea, I added the champagne. I don't remember the High Tea but I do remember the grandeur of the Empress.
On that trip I also went to Buchart Gardens which were beautiful though I didn't go to High Tea there.
Jan 31, 2016 15:02:10   #
Mauigirl
 
I googled high tea in Vancouver BC and got a long list of places...makes me want to travel!!
Jan 31, 2016 15:09:37   #
Toddytoo
 
Mauigirl wrote:
I googled high tea in Vancouver BC and got a long list of places...makes me want to travel!!


Yes, that's how I started, but most of them do not serve or offer the accepted British concept with several "courses" featuring savory and sweet foods, and especially scones with real Devonshire cream. Thank you for your suggestion. The closest I have come here in Calif. is The Ritz hotel in Dana Point and a couple of Tea Houses run by Brits.
 
Feb 1, 2016 05:48:10   #
raindancer (a regular here)
 
The Empress is now The Fairmont Empress. we had high tea there 2 years ago. I would highly recommend it! There is just no other place that compares to The Empress. I know it is pricey, but it is very lovely! Something that I always wanted to do and I am so happy we did it there!
Feb 1, 2016 07:04:29   #
lenorehf
 
We too did high tea at the Empress. It was pricey, lovely and a must do when in the area.
Feb 1, 2016 07:25:22   #
Kadoonya
 
What exactly is High Tea?
Feb 1, 2016 08:37:33   #
SallieH
 
I do think you are going to be visiting Victoria on Vancouver Island. This fall we visited that wonderful island. Yes, Buchart gardens are lovely. But, I really enjoyed visiting the Abkhazi house in the outskirts of Victoria. This is where you want to have High Tea or just "regular" tea with all the trimmings. The story of this house is incredible and the surroundings are lovely. We didn't have our car yet, so we took the bus. We arrived a bit early which allowed time to wander through an exquisit neighborhood bordering the water. So, try this for a great afternoon. I brought some tea home with me so I could continue the experience.
Feb 1, 2016 10:26:16   #
Doriseve
 
Kadoonya wrote:
What exactly is High Tea?


You can get Tea then Cream Tea and the more food items and more Silver ware that are added make it higher. Thus when meat and lots of silver is added it get to be High Tea.
 
Feb 1, 2016 10:31:25   #
Doriseve
 
Are you in Vancouver or Vancouver Island. I used to live in Victoria where the Empress is. There used to be the James Bay Tea Room at the back of the Parliament building. There also used to be Sooke Tea Room. Also check out Cadboro Bay.
Feb 1, 2016 11:15:05   #
smasha12
 
When I was growing up in England, high tea meant a cooked meal. Not a full-blown meal, but a fried meal or something like that. More like supper for N Americans. Afternoon tea was what you had in smart hotels or cafes with small sandwiches and little cakes, all served on fancy dishes. Tea of course. Cream tea was what we used to have in Devon and Cornwall, scones with jam and cream, even clotted cream.
Feb 1, 2016 13:27:50   #
Toddytoo
 
SallieH wrote:
I do think you are going to be visiting Victoria on Vancouver Island. This fall we visited that wonderful island. Yes, Buchart gardens are lovely. But, I really enjoyed visiting the Abkhazi house in the outskirts of Victoria. This is where you want to have High Tea or just "regular" tea with all the trimmings. The story of this house is incredible and the surroundings are lovely. We didn't have our car yet, so we took the bus. We arrived a bit early which allowed time to wander through an exquisit neighborhood bordering the water. So, try this for a great afternoon. I brought some tea home with me so I could continue the experience.
I do think you are going to be visiting Victoria o... (show quote)


That's good and interesting advice. Thank you.
Feb 1, 2016 13:57:34   #
bbk
 
I had high tea in Washington DC many years ago. Probably not original to our Brit friends but it was very elegant and fun. Wanted to do it again in Victoria last year when my cruise stopped there but there were other things my traveling companion wanted to do. Victoria is a lovely city and I want to go back!
bbk
Page: 1 2 next>>
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.