Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Do you need backing for knitted & crochet blankets
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Jan 10, 2017 06:50:59   #
Maltova (a regular here)
 
I've seen some really beautiful knitted & crochet blankets posted by KPers here. I have never attempted one but am planning on a project with all my stash. I wanted to know if the blankets / afghans need backing or will they be fine without. Please could some of you who have made a lot of these enlighten me
 
Jan 10, 2017 06:52:50   #
Cimmanon
 
I've never used a backing, no matter what the backside of an afghan looks like. Others back every afghan they make. It's up to you.
Jan 10, 2017 06:54:02   #
susanmjackson (a regular here)
 
I have knit and crocheted many blankets over the years and have never backed any of them.
Jan 10, 2017 06:54:04   #
susanmjackson (a regular here)
 
I have knit and crocheted many blankets over the years and have never backed any of them.
Jan 10, 2017 06:55:17   #
Cyber Granny (a regular here)
 
I have never backed an afghan.
Jan 10, 2017 07:05:25   #
AudreyD
 
Crocheted a Dora the Explorer blanket for my gd and backed it with Dora flannel because of all of the little ends left when I color changed to make it look more finished on the back. Put a crocheted border on it after. Turned out nice.
 
Jan 10, 2017 07:07:54   #
bagibird
 
I would not normally back an afghan, but I am currently doing a crochet portrait afghan using the cut and tie method, which results in THOUSANDS of ends which truly couldn't be woven in, so I will have to back it and have bought fleece already. If the back is "presentable" I would not back it, unless it is intended for use somewhere very cold.

ETA I have an Edgerydoo which I shall use to attach the backing, so that I can crochet the fleece and crochet pieces together - I hate sewing!!
Jan 10, 2017 07:08:30   #
chooksnpinkroses (a regular here)
 
I have never lined a blanket. They are fine as they are. I make sure all darning away of ends is neat even from the back.
Jan 10, 2017 07:18:56   #
GrammieGail
 
I don't put a back on afghans, but I do back the blankies I make for little ones. They get a lot more wear and tear. Try to find matching material...just finished one with Thomas Tank Engine, and backed it with Thomas cloth. HUGS...GG
Jan 10, 2017 08:07:35   #
knitteerli (a regular here)
 
What is an edgerydoo? I have never backed a yarn afghan.
Jan 10, 2017 08:17:54   #
nonak
 
I usually back baby afghans that have lots of floats or ends that are hard to weave in. Don't want little toes or fingers getting caught.
 
Jan 10, 2017 08:29:50   #
bagibird
 
knitteerli wrote:
What is an edgerydoo? I have never backed a yarn afghan.


Here's a link to the edgerydoo website.

http://www.edgerydoo.com/edgerydoo.html

I know you can use a sharp hook or a rotary cutter, but the edgerydoo makes sure the distance from the edge of the fabric is constant and your stitches are always evenly spaced. Plus, you can get nice curved corners if you want to, so it's easy to add a pretty edging to a piece of fleece, or to join pieces fabric.
Jan 10, 2017 10:54:14   #
GrumpyGramma (a regular here)
 
To back or not to back a blanket, that is the question. I never have but would if I thought it was a good idea.

bagibird wrote:
Here's a link to the edgerydoo website.

http://www.edgerydoo.com/edgerydoo.html

I know you can use a sharp hook or a rotary cutter, but the edgerydoo makes sure the distance from the edge of the fabric is constant and your stitches are always evenly spaced. Plus, you can get nice curved corners if you want to, so it's easy to add a pretty edging to a piece of fleece, or to join pieces fabric.


That's new to me. Nice gadget.
Jan 10, 2017 15:06:26   #
linalu (a regular here)
 
I do not usually, but I did line my grandsons graduation blankets. Some of you may remember I posted them back in 2014. Here is the link.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-250766-1.html#5133925

I lined each strip with squares like the front, latched the strips, then crocheted all around. I really liked it and will do the next two the same way.
Jan 11, 2017 01:18:43   #
Maltova (a regular here)
 
linalu wrote:
I do not usually, but I did line my grandsons graduation blankets. Some of you may remember I posted them back in 2014. Here is the link.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-250766-1.html#5133925

I lined each strip with squares like the front, latched the strips, then crocheted all around. I really liked it and will do the next two the same way.


Lovely work..and thanks for your response
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.