Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Has anyone knit a Phoenix Wing or Dream Bird Shawl?
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jan 11, 2017 14:34:32   #
colleenmay
 
Has anyone knit a Phoenix Wing or a Dream Bird Shawl . . . . in worsted weight yarn????? I really want to make one of these shawls but besides having to buy the pattern, having to buy so SO many colors of yarn in fingering weight is daunting. I would really like to just go shopping in my own personal stash, however, most of it is worsted weight. Could I make one of these in worsted weight? Has anyone done that?????
 
Jan 11, 2017 14:42:15   #
Hilary4 (a regular here)
 
This person on Ravelry has, there are probably more amongst the over 2800 projects: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/poodleplum/dreambird-kal
Jan 11, 2017 14:42:45   #
Knitcrazydeborah
 
I have only done it with fingering weight and tho you could certainly use worsted - it would be a heavy dense knit. Which you might actually like? Minneapolis can be pretty "nippy" in winter!😄
Another option would be KnitPicks Pallette yarn. It's reasonably priced and tho wool...when washed it's nice & soft.
Jan 11, 2017 14:58:58   #
colleenmay
 
Hilary1, how did you find this? Or did you just stumble on one that had used worsted weight yarn?
Jan 11, 2017 15:12:04   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/bassetslave/dreambird-kal
when you look at the projects you can enter search criteria/phrases...
Jan 11, 2017 15:42:19   #
nittineedles (a regular here)
 
I haven't knit either pattern in worsted weight but I expect it would just be bigger, thicker and require a LOT more yarn.

I knit the Dreambird a couple of years ago. It was an awful pattern to follow. I sold it asap just to get the thing out of my house. Will never, ever knit another from that horrendous pattern. I'm adding the photo so you can see it turned out quite nice in the end. It just wasn't worth the stress and frustration.
Dreambird
Dreambird...
 
Jan 11, 2017 16:23:08   #
Hilary4 (a regular here)
 
colleenmay wrote:
Hilary1, how did you find this? Or did you just stumble on one that had used worsted weight yarn?


I clicked on the projects tab: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dreambird-kal/people and scrolled down till I saw a yarn I recognised as worsted weight.
Jan 11, 2017 16:23:51   #
ChristmasTree
 
nittineedles wrote:
I haven't knit either pattern in worsted weight but I expect it would just be bigger, thicker and require a LOT more yarn.

I knit the Dreambird a couple of years ago. It was an awful pattern to follow. I sold it asap just to get the thing out of my house. Will never, ever knit another from that horrendous pattern. I'm adding the photo so you can see it turned out quite nice in the end. It just wasn't worth the stress and frustration.


Mine is sitting in the closet 3/4 finished. If I could have done it all at once I might have finished it but every time I put it down I had to re-learn. The last stop was when I had to look for another skein of the solid color yarn, and there it sits.

Yours turned out really nice. I don't know if mine is going to look that nice if/when I finally finish it :)

I think it would be nice in a sport weight yarn. You don't have to buy a lot of different color skeins, use one with long color runs, and a solid.
Jan 11, 2017 18:05:31   #
m_azingrace (a regular here)
 
nittineedles wrote:
I haven't knit either pattern in worsted weight but I expect it would just be bigger, thicker and require a LOT more yarn.

I knit the Dreambird a couple of years ago. It was an awful pattern to follow. I sold it asap just to get the thing out of my house. Will never, ever knit another from that horrendous pattern. I'm adding the photo so you can see it turned out quite nice in the end. It just wasn't worth the stress and frustration.


I've actually made four of the dreambird, with no difficulty, and would do it again.
Jan 11, 2017 19:22:54   #
Sorlenna (a regular here)
 
I did one in worsted and it was big but I was OK with that. I don't have a photo, sorry. However, remember that color choice is up to you. You just need a main color and then at least one other (maybe try variegated) if you want to use fingering weight.
Jan 12, 2017 06:09:40   #
aussiebead (a regular here)
 
I have done two, and enjoyed making them. Follow the pattern exactly, and it works.
On the 2nd one I extended the length of the feathers by regraphing the pattern, and was very pleased with it. Used a 4 ply yarn for the body, and mohair for the feathers.
If you want a heavier one, then use worsted weight, but you will have to adjust the needles too.
The pink dreambird was unfinished when photographed, and now belongs to my daughter.
Summer here now, so my shawls are put away, but my blue one, which has extended feathers is a wardrobe staple in the winter.




 
Jan 12, 2017 07:28:07   #
Conchalea (a regular here)
 
aussiebead wrote:
I have done two, and enjoyed making them. Follow the pattern exactly, and it works.
On the 2nd one I extended the length of the feathers by regraphing the pattern, and was very pleased with it. Used a 4 ply yarn for the body, and mohair for the feathers.
If you want a heavier one, then use worsted weight, but you will have to adjust the needles too.
The pink dreambird was unfinished when photographed, and now belongs to my daughter.
Summer here now, so my shawls are put away, but my blue one, which has extended feathers is a wardrobe staple in the winter.
I have done two, and enjoyed making them. Follow ... (show quote)


Those are beautiful! I have the yarn & pattern but haven't started knitting it yet.
Jan 12, 2017 08:12:46   #
debbie pataky
 
Check out the KAL.....it is amazing....walk you right through it easy peasy..there is a cheat sheet for each row....had this pattern forever and just couldn't wrap my head around it....UNTIL the KAL...since then have made one in lace (more scarf size).finger weight, DK, and worsted...heads ups they are addictive....you get the "wonder what these colors will look like bug).....my kids and grands take them as fast as I make them.....I asked my grand "Why" her answer " Grand, nobody has one like this". Well ok then.
Jan 12, 2017 08:29:28   #
LilgirlCA (a regular here)
 
You could use worsted weight - just remember to use a larger needle and your gauge will be off. If you attempt to make gauge with worsted then you will have a very dense shawl.

It will be larger too unless you adjust the number of stitches in the pattern.
Jan 12, 2017 09:14:07   #
Nittinnut
 
I knit one a few years ago and found the pattern onerous. However once I started using the graphic, the whole thing fell into place.

Enjoy.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.