Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Knitting and Crochet Workshops 'copies of all classes
Alpaca show Who knew?
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Mar 17, 2017 11:44:00   #
silvrepen
 
I saw this in the Denver post this week. Little did I know this was nearby. Too bad I did not find it until I was unable to go over to visit. Welcome to Red Granite Ranch near Denver, CO. (Colorado means Red Earth) You will have to copy and paste the site named below to view it.

denverpost.com/alpacashow
 
Mar 17, 2017 11:54:14   #
Linda6885 (a regular here)
 
It is almost time for the Wisconsin Alpaca Fest. First time I will be going. http://wisconsinalpacafiberfest.com/
Mar 17, 2017 12:10:22   #
silvrepen
 
It is a testament to the quality of Alpaca yarn that it has become so popular everywhere especially since its first use in the US was just in 1985. That is pretty quick for it to become a world wide yarn if choice. It is not just this article that was run in our newspaper recently. Also running was a Leisure section front page discussion of in-home yarn spinning and loom knitting. All of a sudden we are popular!
Mar 17, 2017 14:25:13   #
m_azingrace (a regular here)
 
Alpaca is being called the new cashmere. While not quite as luxurious as high quality cashmere, it is, (IMHO), superior to the "affordable" cashmere fiber that has become so commonplace and cheap (produced under inhumane, and environmentally/ecologically unsound conditions). I love alpaca wool. It's my "go-to" fiber for shawls.
Mar 18, 2017 10:02:54   #
mjs
 
silvrepen wrote:
I saw this in the Denver post this week. Little did I know this was nearby. Too bad I did not find it until I was unable to go over to visit. Welcome to Red Granite Ranch near Denver, CO. (Colorado means Red Earth) You will have to copy and paste the site named below to view it.

denverpost.com/alpacashow


This should work. http://kdvr.com/2017/03/17/hundreds-of-alpacas-in-denver-for-the-2017-national-alpaca-show/
Mar 18, 2017 10:06:08   #
antiqueone
 
m_azingrace wrote:
Alpaca is being called the new cashmere. While not quite as luxurious as high quality cashmere, it is, (IMHO), superior to the "affordable" cashmere fiber that has become so commonplace and cheap (produced under inhumane, and environmentally/ecologically unsound conditions). I love alpaca wool. It's my "go-to" fiber for shawls.


And hats. And mittens, fingerless and regular. And cowls. Well, you get the picture. Fortunately for me, my DIL raises alpaca, so I know the conditions. Even my vegan granddaughter enjoys things made from Auntie H's fiber.....
 
Mar 18, 2017 10:59:06   #
keetza (a regular here)
 
There are FOUR (4!!!) alpaca farms with 1/2 hour of me and a couple of llama farms (WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY?? IN NEW JERSEY?!?!) Well, yes! They are adorable, the yarn is wonderful. But guess what! There are TWO (2!!) Buffalo farms as well, tho' gathering their fur is a bit tricky!
Mar 18, 2017 12:35:56   #
mary139
 
keetza wrote:
There are FOUR (4!!!) alpaca farms with 1/2 hour of me and a couple of llama farms (WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY?? IN NEW JERSEY?!?!) Well, yes! They are adorable, the yarn is wonderful. But guess what! There are TWO (2!!) Buffalo farms as well, tho' gathering their fur is a bit tricky!


Mar 21, 2017 12:34:17   #
Lilyan (a regular here)
 
keetza wrote:
There are FOUR (4!!!) alpaca farms with 1/2 hour of me and a couple of llama farms (WHAT'S THAT YOU SAY?? IN NEW JERSEY?!?!) Well, yes! They are adorable, the yarn is wonderful. But guess what! There are TWO (2!!) Buffalo farms as well, tho' gathering their fur is a bit tricky!


Thank you for letting us know. Do they sell their yarn there?
Mar 21, 2017 18:36:52   #
keetza (a regular here)
 
Lilyan wrote:
Thank you for letting us know. Do they sell their yarn there?


Some do have an alpaca store, some sell at local farm markets, some even have knitters (both machine and hand) who make items sold at local fairs. The buffalo farms do have their own stores as well but I never see any yarn.
Mar 21, 2017 19:32:55   #
Lilyan (a regular here)
 
keetza wrote:
Some do have an alpaca store, some sell at local farm markets, some even have knitters (both machine and hand) who make items sold at local fairs. The buffalo farms do have their own stores as well but I never see any yarn.


Thank you!
 
Knitting and Crochet Workshops 'copies of all classes
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.