Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
When to wind a skein into a ball??
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Dec 2, 2011 02:19:38   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
Dreamweaver wrote:
I also have a gazillion thrumsfrom cutting off the loom that would work for that OR make great cat beds!!!
Thrums? I've been resisting buying a kit to make a thrummed hat and mittens; they made it easy, since my chosen colourway is out of stock. Instead, I'm thinking of using some almost-unspun super-bulky yarn to make thrums, and then add them to too-big mittens.
 
Dec 2, 2011 02:32:38   #
Dreamweaver
 
What are you looking for - wool? I may even have the right color, but thrums won't show. Mine wouldn't be bulky though. I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. They would be very warm and soft feeling inside. They might not be very flexible if they get too puffy, but you could do the top heavier than the palm. BTW, how long is DH away?
Dec 2, 2011 02:47:10   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
Dreamweaver wrote:
What are you looking for - wool? I may even have the right color, but thrums won't show. Mine wouldn't be bulky though. I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. They would be very warm and soft feeling inside. They might not be very flexible if they get too puffy, but you could do the top heavier than the palm. BTW, how long is DH away?
Return date is February 2 - assuming there are still flights out then.
Dec 2, 2011 07:56:46   #
Topsy
 
What is a thrum?
Dec 2, 2011 08:09:23   #
mamiepooh
 
Topsy wrote:
What is a thrum?


http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html
Dec 2, 2011 08:45:02   #
Topsy
 
mamiepooh wrote:
Topsy wrote:
What is a thrum?


http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/thrumfaq.html


Thanks, Mamie.
 
Dec 2, 2011 09:19:53   #
julietremain
 
My LYS winds the yarn for me as soon as I buy it...I really like having a ball ready to go...no one has ever said anything about possible stretching as a result of being wound into a ball....I buy alot of Berrocco (Flicker is my current fav!) and I look for sales to stretch my yarn money...I have a few skeins of pricier wool and whrn I use them after being wound a year or more earlier I have never noticed a problem with stretching...
julie
Dec 2, 2011 09:47:20   #
mamiepooh
 
julietremain wrote:
My LYS winds the yarn for me as soon as I buy it...I really like having a ball ready to go...no one has ever said anything about possible stretching as a result of being wound into a ball....I buy alot of Berrocco (Flicker is my current fav!) and I look for sales to stretch my yarn money...I have a few skeins of pricier wool and whrn I use them after being wound a year or more earlier I have never noticed a problem with stretching...
julie


Is LYS stands for Lady in Yarn Shop ? It seems everyone has a LYS of their own.
Dec 2, 2011 10:05:06   #
kyterp
 
Wind right before you use.
Dec 2, 2011 10:16:18   #
Kathie (a regular here)
 
Jessica-Jean wrote:
Having a new ball winder, I was about to convert a bunch of skeins into easier-to-store balls. Then I got to wondering ... Is it better to keep skeins as such until just before beginning to knit them?
Does it matter if the wool (it is wool I'm talking about) is balled or not?
Anyone know?

My experience with quality wool is meager.

Thanks.


If you wind them in advance wouldn't that prevent you from being able to return any unused skeins. I often buy an extra skein just to be sure I have enough to finish my projects. They usually are either an afghan or a sweater. I can return any unused yarn provided it is within a given amount of time. It isn't unusual for me to need that extra skein and don't want to have to worry about getting more yarn in the same dye lot.
Dec 2, 2011 10:30:26   #
lvchocl8nknitting
 
My LYS says it all depends on how tightly you wind the hanks into balls. If you conscientiously wind them so the yarn is not stressed, it makes no difference at all...after all, look at how tightly looped some of the purchased hanks are...the idea is just not to change the "dormant state" of the yarn.
 
Dec 2, 2011 10:32:56   #
lvchocl8nknitting
 
Jessica-Jean wrote:
No way am I weaving in 140 ends on something small!! Unless someone really wants it?


Wouldn't want to deny you the challenge of dealing with this wonderful skein of yarn...
Dec 2, 2011 10:34:46   #
lvchocl8nknitting
 
mamiepooh wrote:

Is LYS stands for Lady in Yarn Shop ? It seems everyone has a LYS of their own.


Local Yarn Shop
Dec 2, 2011 10:37:37   #
lvchocl8nknitting
 
Kathie wrote:


If you wind them in advance wouldn't that prevent you from being able to return any unused skeins. I often buy an extra skein just to be sure I have enough to finish my projects. They usually are either an afghan or a sweater. I can return any unused yarn provided it is within a given amount of time. It isn't unusual for me to need that extra skein and don't want to have to worry about getting more yarn in the same dye lot.


I tuck the band from the hank/skein I am winding into the center of the newly-formed cake, so there is no doubt about the identity of the yarn. Was a little taken aback by your suggestion to return overages...it's a one-way street to my house where yarn is concerned; it's really funny, it never occurred to me that "leftovers" in full skeins could be returned.
Dec 2, 2011 10:46:40   #
nevadalynn
 
I wrap everything as soon as I buy it - I love how the wound skeins look. Probably doesn't make a difference one way or the other - it IS nice to have it wound for my "spir of the moment" knitting projects
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.