Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Machine Knitting
can't replace knitting machine needles
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Jul 8, 2017 07:05:31   #
barbkin
 
Hi Everyone. Hope all is well with you. I have purchased a Knitmaster 302 from an auction site. I have removed all needles and have replaced sponge in sponge bar. Have oiled and cleaned it. Now I cannot get the needles back into the machine bed. When I insert the needle it bends to one side or the either and won't go further into the slot. Can't understand why as they came out very easily. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
 
Jul 8, 2017 07:18:29   #
der_fisherman (a regular here)
 
barbkin wrote:
Hi Everyone. Hope all is well with you. I have purchased a Knitmaster 302 from an auction site. I have removed all needles and have replaced sponge in sponge bar. Have oiled and cleaned it. Now I cannot get the needles back into the machine bed. When I insert the needle it bends to one side or the either and won't go further into the slot. Can't understand why as they came out very easily. Would appreciate any help. Thanks


If you don't have the manual page 48 maybe, look here (I am assuming that this is the right manual!):-

http://machineknittingetc.com/knitmaster-302-ribber-machine-instruction-manual.html

or even here:-

http://machineknittingetc.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=date&dir=desc&q=knitmaster+302

On machines that I have worked on (not this model of yours), you need to replace the needles and then replace the spnge bar.

Also, the position and orientation of the sponge bar is MOST important. Above or below?

I have helped people that did not follow exactly the way they took the parts off, in reverse of course. But not on this machine.....

Its ALWAYS a good idea to take digital photos as you start to remove parts......take too many rather than one too few. Or get someone else to do that part!!

I hope this helps.

regards

Andy
Jul 8, 2017 07:18:39   #
ac001234h
 
go to Ask Jack (Answer Lady). They can help with anything.
Jul 8, 2017 07:43:26   #
alan55
 
der_fisherman wrote:


the position and orientation of the sponge bar is MOST important. Above or below?

Andy


Just had a quick look at my Singer 322 and the sponge side goes to the bottom. I haven't needed to remove the needles yet but I have on my LK150 and quite often the latch gets caught as I replace a needle. Now I just completely open the latch so it lays flat.

Just make sure the bar is removed before removing/inserting needles.
Jul 8, 2017 18:13:25   #
barbkin
 
Hello Andy. Thanks for response. I do have the manual which I downloaded free of charge. I cannot actually replace the needles. When I insert them they bend either to the left or to the right. They won't slot into the grooves at the back of the bed. I might have a friend take the bed apart to try to see whther or not there is some kind of obstruction. Will update when he has done the job for me.
Jul 8, 2017 18:15:01   #
barbkin
 
I have removed the sponge bar as the sponge needed replacing. I then removed the needles and had not problem removing all of them. Thanks for response.
 
Jul 8, 2017 19:46:33   #
castonkid
 
Remove spongebar, leave needles in place...but...use a ruler to hold needles down....push spongebar in slot with sponge side DOWN....keep pushing needles down as you push spongebar in...no more needles to push down? Push spongebar all the way in. Spongeside will be pressing down on needles. CJ
Jul 9, 2017 02:04:52   #
redgem
 
You don't have the sponge bar in while trying to insert the needles do you, I only ask as its the sort of thing I do without thinking lol.
Jul 9, 2017 03:50:05   #
barbkin
 
Thanks Castonkid. I can do the spongebar replacement when the needles are in place. I have never had trouble doing that. The problem I have is that I removed all needles to clean them and cannot get them back. Thanks for trying to help.
Jul 9, 2017 03:51:35   #
barbkin
 
Hi Red. lol. No I don't have the spongebar in place but I know what you mean. I have been known to do a lot of daft stuff in recent years. I am 79 years' old so am allowed to have many senior moments. lol thanks anyway
Jul 9, 2017 08:38:17   #
alan55
 
barbkin wrote:
Hi Red. lol. No I don't have the spongebar in place but I know what you mean. I have been known to do a lot of daft stuff in recent years. I am 79 years' old so am allowed to have many senior moments. lol thanks anyway


I had a look in the manual and found this image which might help. Make sure the latch is fully open and insert the needle at the front of the bed as shown in the image.
From SK 302 manual - page 62
From SK 302 manual - page 62...
 
Jul 9, 2017 12:24:22   #
der_fisherman (a regular here)
 
barbkin wrote:
Thanks Castonkid. I can do the spongebar replacement when the needles are in place. I have never had trouble doing that. The problem I have is that I removed all needles to clean them and cannot get them back. Thanks for trying to help.


With or without the SB installed. You were unclear on that point!

regards

Andy

UPDATE.
You meant without the SB, good!!
Jul 9, 2017 18:11:39   #
30Knitter (a regular here)
 
Did you check to see if the channel where the sponge bar was in is clear? You may need to run a cat tail brush through the channel to clear any build-up.
Jul 10, 2017 16:59:12   #
barbkin
 
Thanks Andy. When I try to insert the needle i can get it into place and when I try to slot it back it bends to the right and won't go through the slot at the back. I have tried with different needles in different places on the bed. I will probably have to resell it with the needles separated and list the fact that I cannot get them back in. Hopefullt someone will buy it on the auction site and I can get some of my cash back. Thanks again everyone for your help
Jul 10, 2017 17:01:03   #
barbkin
 
Hi 30. yes I have been able to push the long brush right through the spongebar channel and cleared out the fluff which had gathered in there. So no blockage there. but thanks anyway
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Machine Knitting
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.