Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Crochet Hook cast on
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Dec 11, 2017 00:07:46   #
hypnotized
 
I would like to learn this method of cast on for this blanket I'm knitting.
My pattern calls for size 13 needles.

what size hook would I use for this?
 
Dec 11, 2017 00:15:55   #
ChasingRainbows (a regular here)
 
When in doubt, ask Google. I did a search for knitting needle/crochet hook sizes. Here are two charts to keep handy.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/hooks.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_standard_crochet_hook_and_knitting_needle_sizes
Dec 11, 2017 00:21:08   #
Becca (a regular here)
 
Since it is just a cast-on any size hook will really work but small ones but if you want the correct size it would be an M or size 13 hook. Any hook that will grab the yarn will be fine.
Dec 11, 2017 00:22:35   #
hypnotized
 
ChasingRainbows wrote:
When in doubt, ask Google. I did a search for knitting needle/crochet hook sizes. Here are two charts to keep handy.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/hooks.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_standard_crochet_hook_and_knitting_needle_sizes


Yes. I do that. I'm sorry, my question wasn't clear.
What I want to know is if I should use the same size hook as my knitting needle?
All the you tubes I've seen don't mention that. so I'm assuming it's a given?

Is this a good tutorial?--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2zEF0tTnE
Dec 11, 2017 00:24:45   #
hypnotized
 
Becca wrote:
Since it is just a cast-on any size hook will really work but small ones but if you want the correct size it would be an M or size 13 hook. Any hook that will grab the yarn will be fine.


This is what I want to know.
So it doesn't matter the size of the hook?
Shouldn't it be the equivalent size to my size 13 needles?

I found this you tube on how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2zEF0tTnE
Dec 11, 2017 00:31:08   #
Becca (a regular here)
 
I really couldn't tolerate the presenters voice. There are many videos to watch that are easier than this one. Though many say to use the same size hook as needle, if you don't have an M/13 hook, a slightly smaller size will be fine, just don't tighten the stitches too tight.
 
Dec 11, 2017 00:36:46   #
hypnotized
 
Becca wrote:
I really couldn't tolerate the presenters voice. There are many videos to watch that are easier than this one. Though many say to use the same size hook as needle, if you don't have an M/13 hook, a slightly smaller size will be fine, just don't tighten the stitches too tight.

This is what I wanted to know.
Thank you :)
Dec 11, 2017 01:22:56   #
ChasingRainbows (a regular here)
 
I use the same size crochet hook as needle size. If I can't find one, I'll use the next closest size, and if I'm making something flat - like a blanket, I'll use the same crochet hook to cast off, so the cast on and cast off look the same.
Dec 11, 2017 01:44:55   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
Becca wrote:
Since it is just a cast-on any size hook will really work but small ones but if you want the correct size it would be an M or size 13 hook. Any hook that will grab the yarn will be fine.
Umm ... No. The hook is forming a chain, that matches the cast off, and which needs to be as elastic as the cast off and the main body of the fabric. To that end, it should be as close as one can get to the same size as the knitting needle.
Looks like the same size, no?
Looks like the same size, no?...
Dec 11, 2017 01:45:51   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
Becca wrote:
I really couldn't tolerate the presenters voice. ...
That's the main reason I always have the audio muted on YouTube. Show me, don't yak at me!
Dec 11, 2017 01:53:16   #
SometimesaKnitter (a regular here)
 
Becca wrote:
Since it is just a cast-on any size hook will really work but small ones but if you want the correct size it would be an M or size 13 hook. Any hook that will grab the yarn will be fine.


I think you are right. The crochet hook is only used to get the yarn through the loop. The needle size forms the resulting loop. How much the stitch is tightened once it’s on the needle matters more than the hook size.
It’s kind of the same as when doing long tail cast on, where if you spread out your stitches the cast on becomes a bit looser than if you form one stitch after another closer together.
Don’t be confused here. I only compared the two cast ons for ease of explanation. The cast on styles are different for different purposes.
 
Dec 11, 2017 06:15:59   #
mlab
 
Jessica-Jean wrote:
That's the main reason I always have the audio muted on YouTube. Show me, don't yak at me!


Love that!
Dec 11, 2017 08:58:25   #
RoxyCatlady (a regular here)
 
I've used bigger than the needle crochet hooks, I've used smaller than the needle crochet hooks. Doesn't matter, as long as the hook throat is deep enough to catch the yarn without splitting it. It is the needle that determines the loop/stitch size on the needle. Not the hook.

One time, I'd gone on a camping trip, taking along some knitting. Forgot about the crochet hook for a provisional cast on... found a stick thick enough to handle a notch, and carved out my own "crochet hook" for the job - it worked just fine.
Dec 11, 2017 09:44:43   #
Swiss Miss
 
RoxyCatlady wrote:
I've used bigger than the needle crochet hooks, I've used smaller than the needle crochet hooks. Doesn't matter, as long as the hook throat is deep enough to catch the yarn without splitting it. It is the needle that determines the loop/stitch size on the needle. Not the hook.

One time, I'd gone on a camping trip, taking along some knitting. Forgot about the crochet hook for a provisional cast on... found a stick thick enough to handle a notch, and carved out my own "crochet hook" for the job - it worked just fine.
I've used bigger than the needle crochet hooks, I'... (show quote)

Look at resourceful you! I'll keep that in mind. LOL.
Dec 12, 2017 08:02:36   #
Beetytwird
 
hypnotized wrote:
Yes. I do that. I'm sorry, my question wasn't clear.
What I want to know is if I should use the same size hook as my knitting needle?
All the you tubes I've seen don't mention that. so I'm assuming it's a given?

Is this a good tutorial?--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg2zEF0tTnE


YES! it helps to use a crochet hook as close to the knitting needle size as possible. Trying to make a chain large enough with a small hook does not work. If your chain stitches are too tight, the CO edge of your knitting will pucker.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.