Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Emily Ocker cast on, oh my head!
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Apr 15, 2018 16:24:02   #
thadeus40
 
I'm starting a shawl which begins from the inside out, thus the Emily Ocker cast on. After transferring the stitches from the crochet hook to the 4 dpns to begin increases I begin to despair. It's needles all over the place, stitches sliding off but worst of all everything gets twisted. Before I completely despair...does anyone have any ideas how to keep these first few rounds under control.
 
Apr 15, 2018 16:25:21   #
fergablu2 (a regular here)
 
Use magic loop on a circular instead of double points. I can’t manage double points in that situation, either.
Apr 15, 2018 16:26:40   #
ChasingRainbows (a regular here)
 
Do you have a circular needle? That might make it easier to keep the stitches where they belong. Also, use a lifeline on each row until you can get it under control, so if you drop stitches you won't have to start over.
Apr 15, 2018 16:27:06   #
jmcret05 (a regular here)
 
fergablu2 wrote:
Use magic loop on a circular instead of double points. I can’t manage double points in that situation, either.


Apr 15, 2018 16:30:58   #
Gaildh (a regular here)
 
Without a doubt magic loop on circus- it is fiddly but once a few rows in you will be happy with the outcome! Keep trying you will get it!
Apr 15, 2018 16:58:15   #
rahi
 
thadeus40 wrote:
I'm starting a shawl which begins from the inside out, thus the Emily Ocker cast on. After transferring the stitches from the crochet hook to the 4 dpns to begin increases I begin to despair. It's needles all over the place, stitches sliding off but worst of all everything gets twisted. Before I completely despair...does anyone have any ideas how to keep these first few rounds under control.

That is exactly what happened to me. And after several trials i just gave up. What pattern are you knitting? And thanks for asking this question.
 
Apr 15, 2018 17:01:23   #
Sandysmom
 
http://techknitting.blogspot.ca/2009/09/knitting-from-center-belly-buttons-and.html
I find this one easier. I knit right handed but crochet left handed and I always get the Emily Ocker cast on screwed up. Hope this helps.
Apr 15, 2018 17:04:58   #
MMWRay (a regular here)
 
How is a life line any good on two rows and 16 sts? I want to learn this with double points for I own them. I don't see buying more needles with cables flexible and long enough to do something this small. Any suggestions to aide with this cast on? I wonder if anyone with flexiflips has tried Emily Ochers cast on?
Apr 15, 2018 17:19:50   #
LinJurm (a regular here)
 
I agree - a circular needle is definitely the answer I would heed.
Apr 15, 2018 17:33:53   #
GrumpyGramma (a regular here)
 
I do my center starts with magic loop also. DPNs mean hassle and I give it up. I have noticed that I prefer starting the center with a size smaller needles for a few rounds and then changing to the size for the project. The center lies flat that way and doesn't make a nipple.
Apr 15, 2018 17:38:33   #
Belle1
 
Rather than Emily Ocker's cast on I do the following: First of all, using scrap yarn that is no larger than the project yarn, preferably in cotton or with some other non "fuzzy" nap, I cast on the number of stitches desired onto a single needle. I use a regular long tail cast on, but any cast on you wish to use is fine. Now knit across, turn the work and purl and continue for a total of 4-6 rows ending with a purl row. Now with dp needles (preferably bamboo or wood because they are less slippery) in hand, work 1/3 of the number of stitches onto a dp needle, now put the next 1/3 onto the second needle, and then the final third onto the third needle. Arrange the dp needles and begin working in the round still with the scrap yarn. Work 2-3 rounds, now you are ready to switch to your project yarn and begin the project. Later remove the scrap yarn, use the cast on tail to catch up the cast on stitches, pull the scrap yarn tail up to close the center hole to whatever tension you desire, hide the end and that's it.

I've been using this circular start now for a good thirty years and it minimizes the starting awkward yarn/needle interplay to a minimum. I have found that using bamboo or wood dps makes a huge difference because they don't slip as easily as metal or plastic needles.

Good luck.
 
Apr 15, 2018 17:45:21   #
Kenny440
 
Belle1. What a clever procedure. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks.
Apr 15, 2018 17:58:06   #
krestiekrew (a regular here)
 
thadeus40 wrote:
I'm starting a shawl which begins from the inside out, thus the Emily Ocker cast on. After transferring the stitches from the crochet hook to the 4 dpns to begin increases I begin to despair. It's needles all over the place, stitches sliding off but worst of all everything gets twisted. Before I completely despair...does anyone have any ideas how to keep these first few rounds under control.


Just out of curiosity, are you using metal dpn? If you are, try using bamboo or wood dpn. Metal is too slick they just fly out of the stitches...i learned the hard way🤐
Apr 15, 2018 18:00:47   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
Don't know what this cast on is, but I do not care for the magic loop. To me it is way too fiddly. My method is hard to describe, but oh so easy to do. And on DPNs. One of these days I will do it and take pictures to show folks.
Apr 15, 2018 18:01:45   #
Chrissy (a regular here)
 
Belle1 wrote:
Rather than Emily Ocker's cast on I do the following: First of all, using scrap yarn that is no larger than the project yarn, preferably in cotton or with some other non "fuzzy" nap, I cast on the number of stitches desired onto a single needle. I use a regular long tail cast on, but any cast on you wish to use is fine. Now knit across, turn the work and purl and continue for a total of 4-6 rows ending with a purl row. Now with dp needles (preferably bamboo or wood because they are less slippery) in hand, work 1/3 of the number of stitches onto a dp needle, now put the next 1/3 onto the second needle, and then the final third onto the third needle. Arrange the dp needles and begin working in the round still with the scrap yarn. Work 2-3 rounds, now you are ready to switch to your project yarn and begin the project. Later remove the scrap yarn, use the cast on tail to catch up the cast on stitches, pull the scrap yarn tail up to close the center hole to whatever tension you desire, hide the end and that's it.

I've been using this circular start now for a good thirty years and it minimizes the starting awkward yarn/needle interplay to a minimum. I have found that using bamboo or wood dps makes a huge difference because they don't slip as easily as metal or plastic needles.

Good luck.
Rather than Emily Ocker's cast on I do the followi... (show quote)


I am going to try this, thank you.
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.