Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
knitting a scallop edge vertically?
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Oct 27, 2016 12:19:18   #
didevine
 
Hello dear KPers,

I was just watching a u tube video on how to knit a scalloped edge horizontally.

I hope this doesn't sound like a crazy question but does anyone know how to knit the scallop edge vertically? For example, on the edge of a cardigan front? It could be a scallop-loop buttonhole?

Thank you.

Dianne in snowy New York today
 
Oct 27, 2016 14:49:26   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
Oooo.... snow.... not ready for that yet.... but hopefully it gives you an excuse to stay inside and knit.
Yes, if I am understanding what you are asking, this can be done ... won't look exactly like the horizontal edge.... I'm thinking of one example but I'll have to go find it again.
Are you thinking of doing this like knit-as-you-go buttonbands (usually garter or seed stitch)? Not the buttonbands that stitches are picked up and knit?
I'm not following your idea about the buttonhole....
Oct 27, 2016 14:55:07   #
mirl56
 
Can you link us to the video you watched with the horizontal scallop? If we can see it, we might be to better find a vertical one similar.
Oct 27, 2016 15:00:26   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
Okay... here's one that I was thinking of ... it has a leaf motif but the idea is the same as what I was thinking.
This is a paid pattern, but I have seen others that do something similar. I won't continue looking for them until I hear from you whether this is what you had in mind.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cove-cardigan-2
Oct 27, 2016 15:15:09   #
mirl56
 
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf-knit-on-border
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaf-lace-cotton-cuff
Oct 27, 2016 15:33:53   #
didevine
 
mirl56 wrote:
Can you link us to the video you watched with the horizontal scallop? If we can see it, we might be to better find a vertical one similar.



Here's the U Tube video I was watching:
How to knit a scallop edge
Chelsea Flesher


Thank you.
 
Oct 27, 2016 15:47:31   #
didevine
 
knit4ES wrote:
Oooo.... snow.... not ready for that yet.... but hopefully it gives you an excuse to stay inside and knit.
Yes, if I am understanding what you are asking, this can be done ... won't look exactly like the horizontal edge.... I'm thinking of one example but I'll have to go find it again.
Are you thinking of doing this like knit-as-you-go buttonbands (usually garter or seed stitch)? Not the buttonbands that stitches are picked up and knit?
I'm not following your idea about the buttonhole....
Oooo.... snow.... not ready for that yet.... but ... (show quote)



Yes, I'm thinking of doing this as knit as you go stockinette edge. How's this for a rough (very, rough haha) picture?
0) vertically, instead of horizontally?
0)
0)
0)
Oct 27, 2016 15:51:42   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
didevine wrote:
Yes, I'm thinking of doing this as knit as you go stockinette edge. How's this for a rough (very, rough haha) picture?
0) vertically, instead of horizontally?
0)
0)
0)


Okay, got it... I'll go look for the others similar to that .... I know I've seen them... just have to find where!
Oct 27, 2016 16:24:14   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
Here's a couple.... you are going to have to replace ~~~ with free knit stitches (no spaces) (KP admin does not allow direct reference to this site for some reason)
They are not strictly scallops but they are close. You would want to do a test knit anyway to see how they work, so you might do some finagling with it for yourself....

http://~~~.com/pattern.php?num=72&menu=8

http://~~~.com/pattern.php?num=77&menu=8
Oct 27, 2016 17:57:48   #
GrumpyGramma (a regular here)
 
didevine wrote:
Here's the U Tube video I was watching:
How to knit a scallop edge
Chelsea Flesher


Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POw5_WMKFa0
This?
Oct 27, 2016 23:56:33   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
didevine wrote:
Hello dear KPers,

I was just watching a u tube video on how to knit a scalloped edge horizontally.

I hope this doesn't sound like a crazy question but does anyone know how to knit the scallop edge vertically? For example, on the edge of a cardigan front? It could be a scallop-loop buttonhole?

Thank you.

Dianne in snowy New York today
Many cardigan patterns have the button and button hole bands made by picking up stitches from the sides of the sweater.
Well, what's to stop you from knitting that scalloped bit and then either sewing or grafting it to the sweater?
 
Oct 28, 2016 04:26:24   #
Aunty M (a regular here)
 
knit4ES wrote:
Okay... here's one that I was thinking of ... it has a leaf motif but the idea is the same as what I was thinking.
This is a paid pattern, but I have seen others that do something similar. I won't continue looking for them until I hear from you whether this is what you had in mind.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cove-cardigan-2


Thanks for this link. A gorgeous cardigan.
Oct 28, 2016 06:32:42   #
JTM (a regular here)
 
didevine wrote:
Hello dear KPers,

I was just watching a u tube video on how to knit a scalloped edge horizontally.

I hope this doesn't sound like a crazy question but does anyone know how to knit the scallop edge vertically? For example, on the edge of a cardigan front? It could be a scallop-loop buttonhole?

Thank you.

Dianne in snowy New York today


I would think an arrangement of short rows would allow you to have some scallop design up the front panels of a sweater.
Oct 28, 2016 07:15:51   #
didevine
 
Jessica-Jean wrote:
Many cardigan patterns have the button and button hole bands made by picking up stitches from the sides of the sweater.
Well, what's to stop you from knitting that scalloped bit and then either sewing or grafting it to the sweater?


Thank you J-J. Yes, I could knit the scalloped edge separately but I really wanted to knit it as I went along.

When I mentioned the "scalloped button hole", it was only to provide a vertical visual of what I wanted it to resemble, as my search was not finding anything on how to knit a scallop edge, vertically.

Thank you.
Oct 28, 2016 07:20:00   #
didevine
 
knit4ES wrote:
Okay, got it... I'll go look for the others similar to that .... I know I've seen them... just have to find where!


Thank you, knit4ES, I looked through all the stitches. I'm not able to find the fit for what I have in mind.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.