Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Russian Knitting
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Feb 27, 2017 21:32:07   #
crivitz
 
There has been quite a bit of discussion plus a mention here and there about Russian knitting lately. One post had links to some YouTube videos. When I first learned to knit (from a Polish neighbor) I only learned to knit and purl but then got too busy with work and family so knitting went by the wayside until many years (like 25 years) later. By then I was a member of a spinning guild where everyone was a knitter except me. Watching them I realized that what I had learned wasn't anything like they were doing. Since I am a crocheter I completely retaught myself to knit continental where both the knit and purl stitches are done differently from the Russian method. When the post with the YouTube videos showed up I decided to watch them and give myself a refresher course on Russian knitting. I was amazed at how easy on the hands it is. My hands really hurt a lot these days so the small movements used in this method didn't hurt my hands at all. I still don't know anything but knit and purl so next I'm going to find some videos on increasing and decreasing and then I might just switch to the Russian knitting rather than having to cut down on my knitting. If anyone else is at this same point with pain she/he might like to give Russian knitting a try.
 
Feb 27, 2017 21:35:12   #
dunnville89 (a regular here)
 
I'll take a look. I switched to continental about a year ago but my hands are still hurting
Feb 27, 2017 21:35:37   #
pjmcd
 
I love the continental knitting, much easier on my arms and hands
Feb 27, 2017 21:59:06   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
Worth looking into. Thank you for the heads up.
Feb 27, 2017 22:05:12   #
Ellie RD (a regular here)
 
I just learned Portuguese knitting two weeks ago and love it, but several people had mentioned Russian knitting (especially the Russian purl) so I am going to check it out. Thanks!
Feb 28, 2017 00:28:37   #
Fialka
 
crivitz wrote:
There has been quite a bit of discussion plus a mention here and there about Russian knitting lately. One post had links to some YouTube videos. When I first learned to knit (from a Polish neighbor) I only learned to knit and purl but then got too busy with work and family so knitting went by the wayside until many years (like 25 years) later. By then I was a member of a spinning guild where everyone was a knitter except me. Watching them I realized that what I had learned wasn't anything like they were doing. Since I am a crocheter I completely retaught myself to knit continental where both the knit and purl stitches are done differently from the Russian method. When the post with the YouTube videos showed up I decided to watch them and give myself a refresher course on Russian knitting. I was amazed at how easy on the hands it is. My hands really hurt a lot these days so the small movements used in this method didn't hurt my hands at all. I still don't know anything but knit and purl so next I'm going to find some videos on increasing and decreasing and then I might just switch to the Russian knitting rather than having to cut down on my knitting. If anyone else is at this same point with pain she/he might like to give Russian knitting a try.
There has been quite a bit of discussion plus a me... (show quote)


That is a really good point of view ! I am knitting "Russian way" for more than 50 years and it is painless and quick in comparison with other methods ! Good luck to you also !
 
Feb 28, 2017 02:32:07   #
deemail
 
crivitz wrote:
There has been quite a bit of discussion plus a mention here and there about Russian knitting lately. One post had links to some YouTube videos. When I first learned to knit (from a Polish neighbor) I only learned to knit and purl but then got too busy with work and family so knitting went by the wayside until many years (like 25 years) later. By then I was a member of a spinning guild where everyone was a knitter except me. Watching them I realized that what I had learned wasn't anything like they were doing. Since I am a crocheter I completely retaught myself to knit continental where both the knit and purl stitches are done differently from the Russian method. When the post with the YouTube videos showed up I decided to watch them and give myself a refresher course on Russian knitting. I was amazed at how easy on the hands it is. My hands really hurt a lot these days so the small movements used in this method didn't hurt my hands at all. I still don't know anything but knit and purl so next I'm going to find some videos on increasing and decreasing and then I might just switch to the Russian knitting rather than having to cut down on my knitting. If anyone else is at this same point with pain she/he might like to give Russian knitting a try.
There has been quite a bit of discussion plus a me... (show quote)
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

Here is the quintessential inc/dec page.... it show each style of inc, demos in both continental and english, so you can choose the style you like (I do KRLs and KLLs... and then learn in the style you already knit in. On the lower righthand corner of the page is a link to the same information on decs....
Feb 28, 2017 08:02:54   #
tamarque
 
Thank you. Love learning different techniques. I knit Continental but often change the way I do it to relieve stress on the body.
Feb 28, 2017 08:24:12   #
tamarque
 
I must have been taught by a someone with a Russian set of genes as this is very familiar to me. What I cannot do is work with the yarn and left index finger to close to the needle no matter how I try. What this video did show me was a different way to wrap the yarn on the left index finger and may actually work for me Other techniques never quite 'took' for my hands. Always reverted to winding the yarn several times around the index finger which does take extra time.

One thing I saw on the videos is what is called Russian is basically what Annie Modesett calls combination knitting. The problem that I see with it is doing other stitches like SSK with the combination method. Maybe there is a video on that that I haven't seen yet.
Feb 28, 2017 08:28:08   #
njbetsy
 
tamarque wrote:
I must have been taught by a someone with a Russian set of genes as this is very familiar to me. What I cannot do is work with the yarn and left index finger to close to the needle no matter how I try. What this video did show me was a different way to wrap the yarn on the left index finger and may actually work for me Other techniques never quite 'took' for my hands. Always reverted to winding the yarn several times around the index finger which does take extra time.

One thing I saw on the videos is what is called Russian is basically what Annie Modesett calls combination knitting. The problem that I see with it is doing other stitches like SSK with the combination method. Maybe there is a video on that that I haven't seen yet.
I must have been taught by a someone with a Russia... (show quote)


Decreases are backwards, but it's worth learning because combination knitting is so fast. When the pattern calls for a SSK, you knit two together. And when it calls for K2tog, you SSK. The purl stitch is much faster than the Continental purl stitch. There is a chart out there showing what to do.
Feb 28, 2017 08:47:26   #
tamarque
 
njbetsy wrote:
Decreases are backwards, but it's worth learning because combination knitting is so fast. When the pattern calls for a SSK, you knit two together. And when it calls for K2tog, you SSK. The purl stitch is much faster than the Continental purl stitch. There is a chart out there showing what to do.


Thanx. Agree about the purl stitch which I often use when wanting to change the stress in my hands. Will have to try the SSK and K2tog in combination style. Will also try to find the chart you mention. I think I once had that in my files--several computer crashes ago.
 
Feb 28, 2017 09:05:18   #
tamarque
 
Okay--found a few things online. Here is a chart from Grumperina's site:

http://www.grumperina.com/table.pdf
Feb 28, 2017 09:42:21   #
sockyarn (a regular here)
 
I will have to look that up on Youtube. I did try the Norwegian style and found it to be very easy on hands and arms.
Feb 28, 2017 09:47:29   #
brendakbb
 
I have arthritis in my right hand and have switched to Portuguese knitting. I have no pain issues when I knit.
Feb 28, 2017 09:52:28   #
Dsynr (a regular here)
 
dunnville89 wrote:
I'll take a look. I switched to continental about a year ago but my hands are still hurting

If your hands are hurting, maybe you should see a doc about it. Could be something serious that needs intervention.
Most likely, it's something you can handle with simple changes and limiting your knitting marathons, maybe....
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.