Turned out beautiful, BUT I would write the designer and let them know the problems you had so they maybe can correct the pattern.
The other projects with that pattern on Ravelry seem to have come out right which would suggest it's either my knitting or the yarn I used causing it to be too small. I'm happy for my notes to convey the problems I had.
Never having done a crescent shawl before, nor a shawl with a solid body, I didn't realise as I was knitting it that it would be far too small. The pattern requires 4 ply/fingering and I used Tosh Merino Light (shade Cousteau) which was the correct weight. I also used the needles specified - 3.25mm.
The first attempt was ripped out and the next attempt was done on 3.75mm needles. I still couldn't get the dimensions but noticed the edging seemed the right size. A couple of friends suggested doing only the body again and also going up another needle size. I went up 2 needle sizes to 4.5mm and finally it seemed more in proportion. I cast off using 5.5mm needles. However, in order to fully spread out the lace edging, I had to lose the wedges shown in the pattern and mine is a full crescent. I prefer the look of that anyway!
I won't do this pattern again although the end result is fine. A KP friend saw the pattern I was doing and she knitted one too and, you've guessed it, it's too small. Her opinion is, and I think she's right, that there aren't enough stitches picked up from the edging to do the body. There are another 4 people on Ravelry who've done this shawl but they didn't do project notes so I've no idea how they got on.
If I'd paid for this pattern I'd have been spitting nails and the blocking wouldn't have been the only aggressive thing about it.
I knitted this for my friend and she's pleased wit... (show quote)