Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Cabone Rings
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Jan 28, 2018 23:21:34   #
didevine
 
Hello dear KPers,
Has anyone used these? If so, are they washable?

I was looking for 2 inch plastic rings but could only find these today. There is no info on the packaging in reference to what they are made of and I was not able to find any info online.

Thank you in advance for your help.
 
Jan 28, 2018 23:36:34   #
gr8 (a regular here)
 
https://www.createforless.com/Boye-Cabone-Rings-2-in.-White-5-pc/pid249763.aspx?utm_source=bingProdAds&utm_medium=cse&CAWELAID=530001980000126596&catargetid=530001980000165868&cadevice=c
eta: here is the product decription:
"Description: Boye Cabone Rings are circular rings used for crocheted buttons, jewelry, cafe curtains, Roman shades, and more. Sew onto tie backs to hold drapes open, use in home decor projects. Plastic. 2 inch (50 mm). Translucent White. 5 pc."
Jan 28, 2018 23:47:48   #
makeitsew2750
 
If you look below in the description they are just plastic rings and depending on what you use them for yes they can be washed. I use them as stitch markers or you can make Bullion Buttons with them they have many uses and come in many sizes.
Jan 29, 2018 02:06:56   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
Yes, they can be washed, but - after many years - they are liable to break seemingly for no reason. I have some, but haven't ever used any. I bought two lovely little potholders which had such rings as the hanger; eventually, one broke and that left the stitches that had been worked around it flopping loosely.
Jan 29, 2018 07:56:31   #
KeesieMommy
 
Plastic. Listed by Susan Bates and other craft sites. My mom used them on draperies, to gather pleats. I’ve used them in crocheting
Jan 29, 2018 08:33:00   #
CKnits
 
I've used them in the past couple yrs to make buttons on baby tops. And, for stitch markers.
 
Jan 29, 2018 08:37:16   #
Jes61
 
I buy cabone rings at Hobby Lobby. Michaels has them too.
Jan 29, 2018 09:09:04   #
didevine
 
Thank you all for the speedy replies.
Jan 29, 2018 09:35:09   #
didevine
 
makeitsew2750 wrote:
If you look below in the description they are just plastic rings and depending on what you use them for yes they can be washed. I use them as stitch markers or you can make Bullion Buttons with them they have many uses and come in many sizes.


PS What is a Bullion Button?
Jan 29, 2018 11:02:54   #
ggmomliz
 
Sure, I've used them many times to make matching buttons for things with no problem at all.
Jan 29, 2018 13:53:13   #
makeitsew2750
 
Sorry meant Dorset Buttons http://www.craftstylish.com/item/42688/how-to-make-dorset-buttons/page/all
 
Jan 29, 2018 14:23:57   #
priscillapaisley
 
My MIL knitted a beautiful sweater coat for me; it wasn't wool (1975), she lived in New Mexico and only yarn available in her small town was synthetic. I had wanted to hand wash it and she said no, dry clean it. It came back shrunken and the rings dissolved in the dry cleaning process. I was heart broken. I replaced the buttons and gave it away.
Jan 30, 2018 03:43:29   #
Jessica-Jean (a regular here)
 
priscillapaisley wrote:
My MIL knitted a beautiful sweater coat for me; it wasn't wool (1975), she lived in New Mexico and only yarn available in her small town was synthetic. I had wanted to hand wash it and she said no, dry clean it. It came back shrunken and the rings dissolved in the dry cleaning process. I was heart broken. I replaced the buttons and gave it away.
Just goes to prove that not all mothers know everything!

I'm sorry that happened to your sweater-coat.
Jan 30, 2018 04:51:49   #
MKDesigner
 
Yes, they can be washed on gentle cycle low spin. My mom always had cafe
curtains in kitchens & laundry rooms. She hung them to dry and lightly ironed the fabric ( just don't let iron touch Canon rings. I've used them in small crochet projects and washed them in a mesh lingerie bad, and dry. No problems

Marge
Jan 31, 2018 14:03:55   #
priscillapaisley
 
Jessica-Jean wrote:
Just goes to prove that not all mothers know everything!

I'm sorry that happened to your sweater-coat.


Thank you Jessica-Jean.
 
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.