Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Shawl
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Jul 23, 2018 18:37:13   #
deercreek
 
What type of boarder should I use for this shawl pattern. The bottom part curls up. Thanks


 
Jul 23, 2018 18:42:59   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
That is a knit stitch... have you found a shawl pattern that uses it or are you making your own?
If I were using it in a blanket, I would do a seed stitch.
Jul 23, 2018 18:57:12   #
targa416 (a regular here)
 
It curls because it’s almost stockinette, which simply curls. You could try a seed stitch border as knit4 suggested, or you could try a simple garter stitch, or moss stitch, or even faux rib. Maybe knit some swatches to see what works best. Let us know how it turns out.
Jul 23, 2018 19:10:40   #
deercreek
 
knit4ES wrote:
That is a knit stitch... have you found a shawl pattern that uses it or are you making your own?
If I were using it in a blanket, I would do a seed stitch.


I am making a shawl and I love seed stitch
Jul 23, 2018 19:12:00   #
deercreek
 
So at the beginning I will do 10 rows of seed stitch and 5 stitch boarder.
Jul 23, 2018 19:13:09   #
Katee4
 
This is one of my favorite edgings - it takes some math to figure out the number of stitches to cast on, but it seems to help with stockinette curl.



https://howdidyoumakethis.com/scalloped-knitting-edge-stitch/


 
Jul 23, 2018 19:33:30   #
balston
 
I like the garter or seed stitch for my borders. They work well without adding additional weight.
Jul 23, 2018 19:39:13   #
knit4ES (a regular here)
 
Katee4 wrote:
This is one of my favorite edgings - it takes some math to figure out the number of stitches to cast on, but it seems to help with stockinette curl.
https://howdidyoumakethis.com/scalloped-knitting-edge-stitch/

That would be nice with the knit stitch pattern OP is using...
Jul 23, 2018 19:41:14   #
deercreek
 
Katee4 wrote:
This is one of my favorite edgings - it takes some math to figure out the number of stitches to cast on, but it seems to help with stockinette curl.



https://howdidyoumakethis.com/scalloped-knitting-edge-stitch/


Too advance for me
Jul 23, 2018 19:45:22   #
Chesneys
 
Katee4 wrote:
This is one of my favorite edgings - it takes some math to figure out the number of stitches to cast on, but it seems to help with stockinette curl.



https://howdidyoumakethis.com/scalloped-knitting-edge-stitch/


This looks great. I am looking forward to trying it. Thanks.
Jul 23, 2018 19:51:04   #
nwlouie
 
Katee4 wrote:
This is one of my favorite edgings - it takes some math to figure out the number of stitches to cast on, but it seems to help with stockinette curl.

https://howdidyoumakethis.com/scalloped-knitting-edge-stitch/


Beautiful edging! It does look like it might be hard to do but as I looked at the instructions, taken step by step, I think I can do it! Thanks for sharing!!
 
Jul 23, 2018 19:59:04   #
Katee4
 
nwlouie wrote:
Beautiful edging! It does look like it might be hard to do but as I looked at the instructions, taken step by step, I think I can do it! Thanks for sharing!!



Welcome. I didn't find the stitch itself hard (although i think i changed it a bit; i almost always do), but i found it a challenge to cast on a multiple of 11 and end up with a multiple of 6 - did the math a couple of times so that it would come out right. LOL
Jul 23, 2018 20:02:14   #
ouijian (a regular here)
 
Katee4 wrote:
Welcome. I didn't find the stitch itself hard (although i think i changed it a bit; i almost always do), but i found it a challenge to cast on a multiple of 11 and end up with a multiple of 6 - did the math a couple of times so that it would come out right. LOL


This is a great border. How do you cast off with the same border?
Jul 23, 2018 20:09:21   #
Katee4
 
ouijian wrote:
This is a great border. How do you cast off with the same border?


I learned to do the Kitchener stitch so that it looked like it was the same, but i added it at the end. Another possibility would to be to do two halves, and join them in the middle.

https://www.craftsy.com/knitting/article/knitting-kitchener-stitch-tutorial/
Jul 23, 2018 20:16:01   #
ouijian (a regular here)
 
Katee4 wrote:
I learned to do the Kitchener stitch so that it looked like it was the same, but i added it at the end. Another possibility would to be to do two halves, and join them in the middle.

https://www.craftsy.com/knitting/article/knitting-kitchener-stitch-tutorial/


Okay. I hate Kitchener, but what are you gonna do? :-)
Page: 1 2 3 4 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.