Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Members affected by Florence---let's all post updates here---please?
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Sep 15, 2018 09:36:52   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
dotcarp2000 wrote:
The effects of Florence is not a game. Too much devastation is happening and is a constant news story. So why is it necessary to post on here??


Sorry this bothers you. Who said it was a game? I thought that those KP members who are going to be affected by the storm might like to know what others' experiences are so we could be better informed as to the progress of the storm and how it is affecting them in different areas of the states. Personal experiences of others can have great value, for many reasons.
 
Sep 15, 2018 09:51:46   #
st1tch
 
I hope it's passed now without huge amounts of injurys or lives lost and damage. Thinking of you all in its path.
Sep 15, 2018 09:57:11   #
elliekluge
 
Augustgran, just noticed your avatar and almost spit coffee across the room. Good one! LOL
Sep 15, 2018 10:12:03   #
knitteerli
 
I think it brings mutual comfort to know our friends in the path of the hurricane are coping well. They want to keep in touch as much as we do. Being cut off from the outside is one more stress, so knowing you can still get a message out is important. Stay safe and keep it in touch if you can. It is encouraging to see so many people helping and sending messages of support.
Sep 15, 2018 10:22:13   #
GeriT01 (a regular here)
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
I thought it would be nice if KP members in NC and SC would post updates and possibly photos on one thread to keep others informed as long as we have wifi. Also, if you stayed at home, how have you prepared? If you evacuated, where are you and how are you doing?

I'll start:

I am in Moncks Corner, SC, which is about 30 miles from the coastline. Florence has not yet arrived but we are supposed to get the storm later today into tonight and tomorrow. So far it is just a little breezy and cloudy. We have taken in all the stuff from our porch, and we are prepared with food, water, flashlights, etc. Of course we have books to read, and I have knitting.

During the past few days, I did all the laundry, baked bread and blueberry muffins and bought non perishable food. I had saved plastic pop bottles, and I filled them with water and froze a lot of them so that when we lose power we can use them inside the main part of the fridge to keep things cold. Like an old fashioned ice box, I suppose!

We are not frightened so far, but I am not good at waiting and it seems that's what we have been doing for days!

OK-- Now it's your turn, my fellow Carolinians!
I thought it would be nice if KP members in NC and... (show quote)


๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ Iโ€™m at our Cape Cod house at the moment with my fingers crossed๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป Our house in S.C. is 10miles south of Myrtle Beach,we are directly on the water so hoping for no or minimal damage as we just had new windows, siding, and roof done. We had some damage from Matthew so enough already. All neighbors had to evacuate and wonโ€™t be allowed back until deemed safe to do so, just have to wait it out and pray all will be safe.
Sep 15, 2018 10:30:18   #
lindseymary
 
Glenlady wrote:
From across the pond we are all hoping that everyone affected by Florence stays safe.


Watching the news and hoping the best for you.Lindseymary
 
Sep 15, 2018 10:30:30   #
LorettaHR
 
In the Upstate, downtown Greenville is just now getting some gusts of wind, but still sunny and beautiful out (10:30 AM). I expect it will be quite different in about 12 hours, particularly depending on which side of Columbia it goes. We anticipate between 2-6 inches of rain.
Sep 15, 2018 11:19:33   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
GeriT01 wrote:
๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ Iโ€™m at our Cape Cod house at the moment with my fingers crossed๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป๐Ÿคž๐Ÿป Our house in S.C. is 10miles south of Myrtle Beach,we are directly on the water so hoping for no or minimal damage as we just had new windows, siding, and roof done. We had some damage from Matthew so enough already. All neighbors had to evacuate and wonโ€™t be allowed back until deemed safe to do so, just have to wait it out and pray all will be safe.


Turn on the Weather Channel. They are reporting on damage in various areas. High tide is in 2 hours in MB, but an extremely high surge is unlikely. I heard from a friend in Georgetown this morning and she said they still have power, but MB does not, according to the Weather Channel. Expect that power will be out for a few days. Crews can't get into their bucket cranes until the wind gusts go below 35 mph. The roads are strewn with debris and fallen trees.

If you have insurance you will be able to make repairs if you can hire people to do it. But construction companies may be very busy for some time and materials may be in short supply.
Sep 15, 2018 11:38:07   #
GeriT01 (a regular here)
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
Turn on the Weather Channel. They are reporting on damage in various areas. High tide is in 2 hours in MB, but an extremely high surge is unlikely. I heard from a friend in Georgetown this morning and she said they still have power, but MB does not, according to the Weather Channel. Expect that power will be out for a few days. Crews can't get into their bucket cranes until the wind gusts go below 35 mph. The roads are strewn with debris and fallen trees.

If you have insurance you will be able to make repairs if you can hire people to do it. But construction companies may be very busy for some time and materials may be in short supply.
Turn on the Weather Channel. They are reporting on... (show quote)


We have good insurance and a fantastic contractor, he stays in touch with us all year and goes by our property regularly to check it. He had to evacuate to Atlanta as that was the only place that had hotel rooms still avail. As soon as allowed he will be checking his own property in Myrtle Beach and then ours. We are blessed to have such wonderful folks! All can be replaced except friends and family. Stay safe!
Sep 15, 2018 11:38:50   #
Granny41 (a regular here)
 
dotcarp2000 wrote:
The effects of Florence is not a game. Too much devastation is happening and is a constant news story. So why is it necessary to post on here??


Beachgirl explained why. For those affected by the storm to keep in touch. You are not affected so roll on by.
To all of you in the path of the storm please stay safe and dry.
Sep 15, 2018 11:54:41   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
GeriT01 wrote:
We have good insurance and a fantastic contractor, he stays in touch with us all year and goes by our property regularly to check it. He had to evacuate to Atlanta as that was the only place that had hotel rooms still avail. As soon as allowed he will be checking his own property in Myrtle Beach and then ours. We are blessed to have such wonderful folks! All can be replaced except friends and family. Stay safe!


Sounds good! Hopefully there won't be too much damage to your house.

Live webcam of MB boardwalk area. Loads a bit slowly.

ย https://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/?cam=myrtlebeach_hd

The camera lens is foggy from spray, but you can tell the tide is higher than usual.
 
Sep 15, 2018 13:14:01   #
Montana Gramma (a regular here)
 
elliekluge wrote:
Augustgran, just noticed your avatar and almost spit coffee across the room. Good one! LOL


I too think it is nice to hear from KP members in jeopardy, others were worried about us and our fires.
Just an observation, Augustgran made remarks about the USA Flag being horizontal so I was surprised when I saw the disrespect, imho, of the Canadian Flag, my Flag, this way, not intending to start any arguments, sorry to interrupt this thread but for reasons unknown to me she has me ignored or that is should where I would have made a comment.
Sep 15, 2018 13:17:53   #
GeriT01 (a regular here)
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
Sounds good! Hopefully there won't be too much damage to your house.

Live webcam of MB boardwalk area. Loads a bit slowly.

ย https://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/?cam=myrtlebeach_hd

The camera lens is foggy from spray, but you can tell the tide is higher than usual.


๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ We just got some pictures of our beach fron a neighbor, not sure how she got there to take them but happy she did, all looks good so far and I think the worst has passed. Feel like the good lord was with us again. Hope you have no damage and stay safe as well. Where are you near in S.C.
Sep 15, 2018 13:28:27   #
GeriT01 (a regular here)
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
Sounds good! Hopefully there won't be too much damage to your house.

Live webcam of MB boardwalk area. Loads a bit slowly.

ย https://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/myrtlebeach/?cam=myrtlebeach_hd

The camera lens is foggy from spray, but you can tell the tide is higher than usual.


Thank you for the webcam link.๐Ÿ‘
Sep 15, 2018 13:38:57   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
GeriT01 wrote:
๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿผ We just got some pictures of our beach fron a neighbor, not sure how she got there to take them but happy she did, all looks good so far and I think the worst has passed. Feel like the good lord was with us again. Hope you have no damage and stay safe as well. Where are you near in S.C.


We aren't really near any major cities. Moncks Corner, near Lake Moultrie and the outskirts of Walmart.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.