Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Decorative stitches without losing (much) speed
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Dec 19, 2018 08:48:25   #
engblom
 
If you are tired of just plain stockinette and you want some variations, what stitches do you use? As I am not having time to knit even every week I am especially interested in stitches not slowing down the progress. These kind of stitches are heel flap stitches, garter etc.

What are your favorites?
 
Dec 19, 2018 08:54:35   #
pommom2
 
One of my favorites for socks is from a sock pattern called Skype. I use a favorite sock pattern but incorporate the skype stitch from this pattern. It is an easy attractive rib pattern with nice stretch for socks. Free pattern in Ravelry.
Dec 19, 2018 09:36:14   #
rwpfenni
 
Hi,

I always like to throw a few cables in there to make the patterns pop - I love cables and they're so easy to do. I've also become quite a fan of the American moss stitch as I've been using it for a sweater - switching the yarn every other stitch I thought was going to be very time-consuming, but your hands get very used to it and you can do it rather quickly. (My stitches do become looser with moss! I'm working on trying to tighten them, but I think to a certain extent that will be inevitable.)

Happy knitting!
Dec 19, 2018 09:47:12   #
Cathy B (a regular here)
 
pommom2 wrote:
One of my favorites for socks is from a sock pattern called Skype. I use a favorite sock pattern but incorporate the skype stitch from this pattern. It is an easy attractive rib pattern with nice stretch for socks. Free pattern in Ravelry.


I'll have to try the Skyp pattern. I like the second one as well, looks like little faux cables while maintaining a 2x2 rib. I see there is also a pattern for fingerless mitts.
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-skyp-socks
https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/skyp-rib-socks

If you are searching for the stitch pattern it is SKYP without the "e" it is the abbreviation for Sl1pw-k1-yo-psso.
Dec 19, 2018 13:43:13   #
fergablu2
 
If speed is a consideration, I crochet instead of knit.
Dec 19, 2018 14:25:51   #
wordancer
 
rwpfenni wrote:
Hi,

I always like to throw a few cables in there to make the patterns pop - I love cables and they're so easy to do. I've also become quite a fan of the American moss stitch as I've been using it for a sweater - switching the yarn every other stitch I thought was going to be very time-consuming, but your hands get very used to it and you can do it rather quickly. (My stitches do become looser with moss! I'm working on trying to tighten them, but I think to a certain extent that will be inevitable.)

Happy knitting!
Hi, br br I always like to throw a few cables in ... (show quote)


When you are doing the purl stitch, wrap clockwise. this used less yarn, Note when you come to that stitch on the wrong side or in the next round that stitch will be twisted, just knit or purl in the back leg.
 
Dec 19, 2018 16:14:22   #
engblom
 
wordancer wrote:
When you are doing the purl stitch, wrap clockwise. this used less yarn, Note when you come to that stitch on the wrong side or in the next round that stitch will be twisted, just knit or purl in the back leg.


What you describe sounds like continental combined (aka Russian style). This is what I am doing, especially for ribbing. It is so much faster as I am a continental style knitter.
Dec 20, 2018 19:52:02   #
Nanamel14 (a regular here)
 
I like to add cables to plain stockinette, I don't think it takes any more time to do as I love the look of cables
Dec 28, 2018 21:40:35   #
Irene P (a regular here)
 
I enjoy knitting cables of all sizes and have also combined them with the seed stitch or a knit 2, purl 2 ribbing section.
 
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.