Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Softening up knitting
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Dec 29, 2018 11:26:52   #
smidge1952
 
I believe I have read on this wonderful site before about softening yarn/garments after knitting up if they do not turn out as soft as expected. Cannot find the information now. Can someone out there help me please. Am in the process of knitting a cot blanket. The yarn is 60% acrylic and 40% nylon. It felt soft in the ball but does not now feel as soft as I am knitting it up. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
 
Dec 29, 2018 11:31:36   #
The Reader (a regular here)
 
Here is one way: https://www.allfreecrochet.com/Tips-for-Crochet/Howto-Soften-Yarn
Dec 29, 2018 11:32:05   #
JTM (a regular here)
 
smidge1952 wrote:
I believe I have read on this wonderful site before about softening yarn/garments after knitting up if they do not turn out as soft as expected. Cannot find the information now. Can someone out there help me please. Am in the process of knitting a cot blanket. The yarn is 60% acrylic and 40% nylon. It felt soft in the ball but does not now feel as soft as I am knitting it up. Any suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.


Sometimes the density of the knitting can make thing feel less soft than when the yarn is still in the skein. Often the item will get softer after washing.
Dec 29, 2018 11:49:56   #
Kim Pracy (a regular here)
 
I think I read to wash in hair conditioner.
Dec 29, 2018 12:35:40   #
gardenlady4012 (a regular here)
 
I would just launder it first, maybe more than once. If it’s still not as soft as you want, you can put some fabric softener in the rinse water. I believe (though I’ve never used it myself) that the hair conditioner in the rinse water would work better on wool than acrylic.
Dec 29, 2018 12:37:24   #
chickkie
 
gardenlady4012 wrote:
I would just launder it first, maybe more than once. If it’s still not as soft as you want, you can put some fabric softener in the rinse water. I believe (though I’ve never used it myself) that the hair conditioner in the rinse water would work better on wool than acrylic.


Only use fabric softener if it is unscented.
 
Dec 29, 2018 16:06:50   #
tdorminey
 
You may also want to try knitting it with larger size needles, especially if you tend to knit tightly. This may be the problem as you said the yarn felt soft before knitting. Maybe its the fabric that feels hard? Bigger sts = softer fabric with more drape.
Dec 29, 2018 16:42:50   #
fergablu2
 
For acrylic blends like that, I launder by machine using free and clear detergent and fabric softener, and put in the dryer on low. There’s no point in wasting your hair conditioner on artificial fibers.
Dec 30, 2018 05:08:17   #
possumlj (a regular here)
 
Hair conditioner works for wool (which is hair, after all) but probably not acrylic.
Dec 30, 2018 11:00:08   #
Kim Pracy (a regular here)
 
I'm always wrong. There was a topic on this a while back, but it's filtered through my memory & out the other side by the look of it. 😁
Dec 30, 2018 12:12:15   #
judysbg42
 
Use a eucalan soak. You don't have to rinse it and it soften up wool nicely.
 
Dec 30, 2018 14:33:08   #
tdorminey
 
judysbg42 wrote:
Use a eucalan soak. You don't have to rinse it and it soften up wool nicely.

Does that also work with acrylic and nylon yarns? I have only used it on natural animal fibres.
Dec 30, 2018 19:20:10   #
chickkie
 
It is a waste to use it on acrylic, as it is for wools

tdorminey wrote:
Does that also work with acrylic and nylon yarns? I have only used it on natural animal fibres.
Dec 31, 2018 00:17:56   #
Nanamel14 (a regular here)
 
Usually a wash will help soften a yarn....I like to use an unscented eco friendly fabric conditioner, I usually leave the item soaking for a good 20minutes (longer if time permitted) then leave to air dry
 
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.