Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Swaps, KALs, Periodicals, Group Activities
The Lace Party- first edition for 2019- (which is where we are in NZ, today)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 98 next>>
Jan 2, 2019 19:47:02   #
Lurker 2 (a regular here)
 
JoyceinNC wrote:
I seem to be the glue that holds everything together, and sometimes I'm stretched very thin. I take care of my 7 year old grandson when he is not in school while his dad (my son) is at work. The school scheduling is the worst nightmare you can imagine. This year, teachers get 1 1/2 days of "teacher professional days", 8 months of the 9 1/2 months school is in session. That has cut into Winter/Christmas break and Spring/Easter break. These professional days are used for a variety of things, and students are not in class. Then there's the weather.... hurricane, snow storm, too much rain...all can close or delay opening school...even cause early release. It's nuts. My son can't just take off work for all this, so I'm the one making sure little guy gets where he is supposed to go. Oh, then he also got sick at school twice and I had to go rushing over there to get him. It's a solid 40-min drive between my house and his school. During the snow storm, a co-worker of my son's up and quit. Just like that. So, son is working 7 days a week, plus a few 12 hour shifts sprinkled in here and there. We've all taken turns being sick since the end of November. I was sick on Christmas Day, a day I won't want to remember. All anyone cared about was the ham. I should have just plopped it on the table and gone back to bed instead of cooking all the rest of the stuff. Oh well. I sure have some yummy leftovers though!

So I've been spending a lot more time than usual driving here and there. And way too much time at my son's house. True, I carry a car load of things over there to keep me busy. But I'd be so much happier in my own house. School starts tomorrow and that should make things a little more normal. Although, I'm beginning to wonder what "normal" is supposed to be! At least I will have a few hours at my house in the morning before I have to leave and get in line to pick up little guy at his school. Then there will be grandma duty this Saturday and Sunday. Ugh.

Everything will straighten out eventually. I just try not to think about all the things I need to do at my house, or the things I said I would make by the January meeting of Newborns in Need. It will all just have to wait. Sigh.....
I seem to be the glue that holds everything togeth... (show quote)


Joyce, I know it is not a lot of help- but try to look at it as the glass half full. I speak from the sad experience of being almost totally cut out from my grandchildren's lives.
I know partly it is my fault- I don't even like my son-in-law- he walked out on his first wife, AFTER he had met my daughter. The first time I spoke with him- not even knowing that she had acquired a flat mate- he was dancing around trying to make excuses to walk in on her in the shower. I was not impressed and kept him talking for at least half an hour, until I knew Bronwen had had enough time to get dry and dressed.
She is devoutly LDS, he is not any particular creed that I am aware of, and 19 years her senior. I think in honesty that she was his mid-life crisis. I hope sincerely he does not walk on her. She had stuck to her principles and went to marriage a virgin. Despite having him as flat-mate for almost four years I think it was. Legally they could not marry until his divorce was finalised.

It is awfully easy to feel overwhelmed when you have not been well.
Try to keep that glass at half full!
 
Jan 2, 2019 20:56:20   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
Belle1 wrote:
Hi, Julie. Seems that I've just been busy what with the holidays, the added seasonal challenge of traveling four days a week on bad roads to visit Mom and a slight new wrinkle in my life. Somewhere around the 13th of last December, a single mother and her almost 4-year old daughter moved into my Mom's house at my invitation. I had met them about 6 months earlier and had visited with them a couple of times in the intervening months. Then quite unexpectedly they found themselves in a very dangerous "stalking" situation. So without hesitation I invited them to stay with me at Mom's and the next day they "moved" in. Basically, the authorities escorted them from their home which is about 70 miles away. She has been able to make one trip back to her property to get clothing, toys, etc, but basically, they have been be "hiding" out. It seems that the danger was averted, but unfortunately, the jerk who caused the problem shows no sign of disappearing. Well, in any case, I've been spending sometime with them getting settled, trying to sort out my Mom's stuff so that they can be comfortable (cleaning out closets and drawers, etc). So it has been a busy season. For now, they continue to be my guests until the whole situation can be dealt with by the authorities.

All this adds up to I now have neighbors, Mom's house is happy with occupants (in my opinion, a house always is better with occupants living in it and carrying for it on a daily basis), and CHANGE is afoot. Isn't it amazing how in the proverbial blink-of-an-eye, everything can change so much!!!

I have no idea how long they will stay, but my life has taken a turn. The little girl is delightful, well mannered, and truly lovely. It is really a joy to be around young ones again. For one thing they are refreshingly honest. One day she was here and while her Mom used the telephone, she watched me sweeping up my kitchen floor (which really needed it) and I casually commented that I ought to sweep more often. After carefully considering what I had said with a look on her face of great seriousness, she announced that I was correct -- I should.

Well, this was a long diatribe in response to your simple comment. Sorry about that, but I've been reluctant to take the time to write anything about their presence. Now we are in a new year, a fresh beginning, and I'm assuming that this will be a year of change in many ways. I'm very optimistic.

Happy New Year to each and every one of you. And happy knitting too. I'm working on the Niebling 2019 KAL. I'm somewhere around row 40 of the first central motifs of what I hope will become a nice table runner for my big table. Am working with size 30 crochet thread on 2.0mm needles. Can only work for an hour or so before I have to rest my eyes. Although the thread is white, it is still had to see something that small. Now that I've finally gotten the piece onto circs I suspect it will go faster. My 2.00mm dps are 6" and frankly, I need a bit more length to comfortable work another motif. I can feel a HandsomeFibers order coming on.........
Hi, Julie. Seems that I've just been busy what wi... (show quote)


You have been busy in many different ways! Yes, children can be rather blunt, but correct.

I am hoping to star the KAL tomorrow. I have been doing a lot of yard work in the past few days and the evenings have not been conducive to intricate knitting. Plus DH is going through male menopause I think. Men sure can be moody!

I will be starting with the bright red yarn I believe. I am hoping it is easier to see!
Jan 2, 2019 21:00:44   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
MissMelba wrote:
Greetings and Happy New Year LPers!

I have cast on three new projects to start the new year, and will cast on a fourth soon. I have Dogyarns' Molly shawl MKAL started using Patons Silk Bamboo in plum for the MC and black for the CC. BunnyMuff's Aloha Tahoe MKAL is started and I am using Jade Sapphire Lacey Lamb in Pine Forest with silver lined gunmetal beads. The third new year cast on is Dogyarns' Year Of Lace sampler MKAL using Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud lace weight doubled (two strands). I will most likely use clear AB beads. February will also see the start of another Year Of scarf, this one is Toni's Japanese sampler so that one will be new WIP #5. New WIP #4 is one of MMario's designs (may he rest in peace), Star of Bruce, which I will knit with Loops n Threads Woolike in navy with clear AB beads. This is the last pattern he uploaded to his online group.

Hope all have a nice day,

Melanie
Greetings and Happy New Year LPers! br br I have ... (show quote)



You have projects going like I have books I am reading! I think I currently have either 3 or 4 books in progress now. Keeps the mind engaged.

I have not seen the Star of Bruce. Must look it up.
Jan 2, 2019 21:48:19   #
kaixixang (a regular here)
 
I am also starting a red shade cowl...finally learned to separately cap ALL of the needles (2 at a time) so I can get beyond row 10!
Jan 2, 2019 23:13:41   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
kaixixang wrote:
I am also starting a red shade cowl...finally learned to separately cap ALL of the needles (2 at a time) so I can get beyond row 10!


Those caps do come in handy! 👍
Jan 3, 2019 08:35:54   #
MissMelba
 
run4fittness wrote:
You have projects going like I have books I am reading! I think I currently have either 3 or 4 books in progress now. Keeps the mind engaged.

I have not seen the Star of Bruce. Must look it up.


And I have three books going as well, lol!

Star of Bruce is new and not yet published. It was his last pattern release and has not been tested so it will be a knitting adventure. MMario's family have scheduled a memorial for him at 10am on the 19th. I plan to cast on then.
 
Jan 3, 2019 08:50:09   #
JoyceinNC (a regular here)
 
Lurker 2 wrote:
Joyce, I know it is not a lot of help- but try to look at it as the glass half full. I speak from the sad experience of being almost totally cut out from my grandchildren's lives.
I know partly it is my fault- I don't even like my son-in-law- he walked out on his first wife, AFTER he had met my daughter. The first time I spoke with him- not even knowing that she had acquired a flat mate- he was dancing around trying to make excuses to walk in on her in the shower. I was not impressed and kept him talking for at least half an hour, until I knew Bronwen had had enough time to get dry and dressed.
She is devoutly LDS, he is not any particular creed that I am aware of, and 19 years her senior. I think in honesty that she was his mid-life crisis. I hope sincerely he does not walk on her. She had stuck to her principles and went to marriage a virgin. Despite having him as flat-mate for almost four years I think it was. Legally they could not marry until his divorce was finalised.

It is awfully easy to feel overwhelmed when you have not been well.
Try to keep that glass at half full!
Joyce, I know it is not a lot of help- but try to ... (show quote)


Thank you, Julie. From what you have said previously, I think I can say that you and your family have had many huge trials. And yet, you seem to be hanging on. Good for you!

When my husband had his mid-life crisis, he sort of made up his own "religion" in his mind. A mish mash of different ideas, not related to any other church/religion/philosophy that I know of. Just a conglomeration that supports his behavior. So I know a little of what you are speaking of about the gap between Bronwen's beliefs and his. As you probably already know, the LDS Church has made huge changes in things like our Sunday meeting schedule and heading more toward personal and family religious study. There are many other changes also, but these are the ones that affect me the most. This has caused a lot of head scratching and wondering where I fit in, in the new scheme of things. Add all the family drama, and it's been quite a time for me since about last November. I will have to buckle down and form a new "routine" for myself that will be flexible enough to not fall apart when family demands are high, but keep things that are important to me in my everyday rat race. I just don't seem to think as quickly as I used to!

Little grandson is back in school today, and as far as I know he is OK. Yesterday he just wanted to snuggle up to me all day, so we played together with quiet toys and read books. By the time my son got home from work and it was time for me to leave, he was feeling much better. I used the excuse of it being his last day of winter break to take him out to lunch, he was thrilled to death about that! I'd love to kick his mom in the butt and chew her out for not being interested in his life, but I already know it wouldn't do any good. She definitely doesn't have a mother's heart. So perhaps it's a good thing God arranged things the way he did, so that I can make sure little guy gets the emotional and spiritual support he needs. It wears me out, but he really is the best part of my life right now. And that's what I have to remember when I'm tired and want to be free of all the responsibilities.

Thanks, Julie...and to all here on KP who are patient and supportive. I appreciate it more than you can know.
Jan 3, 2019 08:50:52   #
Vickie P (a regular here)
 
Babalou wrote:
What an incredible piece of work! It looks to be museum quality.

Thanks for rolling us over, Julie.

What a very kind thing you did for the family to have them move into your mother’€™s House. They must be so grateful. You are a special lady, DeEtta.

We had a beautiful New Year’s Eve celebration at the Taos Ski Basin. I am glad I judged the temperatures wrong. Instead of 7 degrees F, it was 19. There were about 30 skiers at sunset, once it was dark, with torches in each hand skiing down the mountain. Once they are all safely down, the fireworks begin. They were gorgeous this year and went on for about 20-25 minutes. It is a spectacular event. And one of the nicest parts is that from young to old, everyone is smiling and kind, hooting and hollering for the skiers and oohs and ahs for the fireworks.

We scooted out of Taos by 10 on New Year’s Day because it started to snow heavily and you have to drive out through a canyon of uphill and downhill curves, about 25 miles. DH’s car is all wheel drive and he is a very good snow driver. They were expecting 10”€ of snow and we didn’t want to risk closure of the roads. We got about 8” of snow here at home and it has warmed up to 20 from the 10 degrees when we got up.

The girls go home today. 😥 We have had a wonderful long visit with them. Helen, my DIL, and I stomped DH and DD in canasta last night.
What an incredible piece of work! It looks to be ... (show quote)

Sort of looks like here...
Jan 3, 2019 08:53:33   #
Vickie P (a regular here)
 
JoyceinNC wrote:
I seem to be the glue that holds everything together, and sometimes I'm stretched very thin. I take care of my 7 year old grandson when he is not in school while his dad (my son) is at work. The school scheduling is the worst nightmare you can imagine. This year, teachers get 1 1/2 days of "teacher professional days", 8 months of the 9 1/2 months school is in session. That has cut into Winter/Christmas break and Spring/Easter break. These professional days are used for a variety of things, and students are not in class. Then there's the weather.... hurricane, snow storm, too much rain...all can close or delay opening school...even cause early release. It's nuts. My son can't just take off work for all this, so I'm the one making sure little guy gets where he is supposed to go. Oh, then he also got sick at school twice and I had to go rushing over there to get him. It's a solid 40-min drive between my house and his school. During the snow storm, a co-worker of my son's up and quit. Just like that. So, son is working 7 days a week, plus a few 12 hour shifts sprinkled in here and there. We've all taken turns being sick since the end of November. I was sick on Christmas Day, a day I won't want to remember. All anyone cared about was the ham. I should have just plopped it on the table and gone back to bed instead of cooking all the rest of the stuff. Oh well. I sure have some yummy leftovers though!

So I've been spending a lot more time than usual driving here and there. And way too much time at my son's house. True, I carry a car load of things over there to keep me busy. But I'd be so much happier in my own house. School starts tomorrow and that should make things a little more normal. Although, I'm beginning to wonder what "normal" is supposed to be! At least I will have a few hours at my house in the morning before I have to leave and get in line to pick up little guy at his school. Then there will be grandma duty this Saturday and Sunday. Ugh.

Everything will straighten out eventually. I just try not to think about all the things I need to do at my house, or the things I said I would make by the January meeting of Newborns in Need. It will all just have to wait. Sigh.....
I seem to be the glue that holds everything togeth... (show quote)

Hang in there Joyce! Mothers are the glue for the family (usually). As my Mom used to say, "There are better days ahead!"
Jan 3, 2019 09:37:31   #
Babalou (a regular here)
 
JoyceinNC wrote:
I seem to be the glue that holds everything together, and sometimes I'm stretched very thin. I take care of my 7 year old grandson when he is not in school while his dad (my son) is at work. The school scheduling is the worst nightmare you can imagine. This year, teachers get 1 1/2 days of "teacher professional days", 8 months of the 9 1/2 months school is in session. That has cut into Winter/Christmas break and Spring/Easter break. These professional days are used for a variety of things, and students are not in class. Then there's the weather.... hurricane, snow storm, too much rain...all can close or delay opening school...even cause early release. It's nuts. My son can't just take off work for all this, so I'm the one making sure little guy gets where he is supposed to go. Oh, then he also got sick at school twice and I had to go rushing over there to get him. It's a solid 40-min drive between my house and his school. During the snow storm, a co-worker of my son's up and quit. Just like that. So, son is working 7 days a week, plus a few 12 hour shifts sprinkled in here and there. We've all taken turns being sick since the end of November. I was sick on Christmas Day, a day I won't want to remember. All anyone cared about was the ham. I should have just plopped it on the table and gone back to bed instead of cooking all the rest of the stuff. Oh well. I sure have some yummy leftovers though!

So I've been spending a lot more time than usual driving here and there. And way too much time at my son's house. True, I carry a car load of things over there to keep me busy. But I'd be so much happier in my own house. School starts tomorrow and that should make things a little more normal. Although, I'm beginning to wonder what "normal" is supposed to be! At least I will have a few hours at my house in the morning before I have to leave and get in line to pick up little guy at his school. Then there will be grandma duty this Saturday and Sunday. Ugh.

Everything will straighten out eventually. I just try not to think about all the things I need to do at my house, or the things I said I would make by the January meeting of Newborns in Need. It will all just have to wait. Sigh.....
I seem to be the glue that holds everything togeth... (show quote)


You have quite a bit on your plate, Joyce. Your son is lucky you are there for your grandson. Hang in there and take a {{virtual hug}}.
Jan 3, 2019 09:49:00   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
MissMelba wrote:
And I have three books going as well, lol!

Star of Bruce is new and not yet published. It was his last pattern release and has not been tested so it will be a knitting adventure. MMario's family have scheduled a memorial for him at 10am on the 19th. I plan to cast on then.


No wonder I could not find it! Thanks for the information.
 
Jan 3, 2019 09:50:00   #
Babalou (a regular here)
 
Some of the new folks who have posted, welcome by the way!, have expressed an interest in a lace knitting project. Melanie may have mentioned these. Sorry if it’s a repeat. Toni Lorenz on Ravelry has a Japanese Lace Sampler scarf KAL in her group “Knitting in the Loft” and Elizabeth Ravenwood on Ravelry has a KAL too in her Dogyarns Group. I’m doing both and usually do theirs because their patterns are always lovely, well written, and the forum where people engage in thoughts about the patterns are really loving, caring people. You get a clue this year every other month.
Jan 3, 2019 09:52:29   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
JoyceinNC wrote:
Thank you, Julie. From what you have said previously, I think I can say that you and your family have had many huge trials. And yet, you seem to be hanging on. Good for you!

When my husband had his mid-life crisis, he sort of made up his own "religion" in his mind. A mish mash of different ideas, not related to any other church/religion/philosophy that I know of. Just a conglomeration that supports his behavior. So I know a little of what you are speaking of about the gap between Bronwen's beliefs and his. As you probably already know, the LDS Church has made huge changes in things like our Sunday meeting schedule and heading more toward personal and family religious study. There are many other changes also, but these are the ones that affect me the most. This has caused a lot of head scratching and wondering where I fit in, in the new scheme of things. Add all the family drama, and it's been quite a time for me since about last November. I will have to buckle down and form a new "routine" for myself that will be flexible enough to not fall apart when family demands are high, but keep things that are important to me in my everyday rat race. I just don't seem to think as quickly as I used to!

Little grandson is back in school today, and as far as I know he is OK. Yesterday he just wanted to snuggle up to me all day, so we played together with quiet toys and read books. By the time my son got home from work and it was time for me to leave, he was feeling much better. I used the excuse of it being his last day of winter break to take him out to lunch, he was thrilled to death about that! I'd love to kick his mom in the butt and chew her out for not being interested in his life, but I already know it wouldn't do any good. She definitely doesn't have a mother's heart. So perhaps it's a good thing God arranged things the way he did, so that I can make sure little guy gets the emotional and spiritual support he needs. It wears me out, but he really is the best part of my life right now. And that's what I have to remember when I'm tired and want to be free of all the responsibilities.

Thanks, Julie...and to all here on KP who are patient and supportive. I appreciate it more than you can know.
Thank you, Julie. From what you have said previous... (show quote)


It is wonderful that you are there for your grandson. You are all very fortunate to have each other. A true blessing.
Jan 3, 2019 09:53:24   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
Babalou wrote:
Some of the new folks who have posted, welcome by the way!, have expressed an interest in a lace knitting project. Melanie may have mentioned these. Sorry if it’s a repeat. Toni Lorenz on Ravelry has a Japanese Lace Sampler scarf KAL in her group “Knitting in the Loft” and Elizabeth Ravenwood on Ravelry has a KAL too in her Dogyarns Group. I’m doing both and usually do theirs because their patterns are always lovely, well written, and the forum where people engage in thoughts about the patterns are really loving, caring people. You get a clue this year every other month.
Some of the new folks who have posted, welcome by ... (show quote)


I have looked at theirs. 👍. Good ones again.
Jan 3, 2019 11:19:16   #
JoyceinNC (a regular here)
 
Thanks Vickie, Barbara and Janet Lee.

By the way, a suggestion to the new joiners (and a big welcome, too). It can get a little confusing here on Lace Party as to who is who! Some of the folks have been on this part of the Knitter's Forum for a long long time and are very close friends. Some have met outside KP and are very close. Newbies may find it helpful to make a list of first names that go with screen names. Sometimes those two are similar or the same, other times not. My list has helped me many times keep my mind straight on who people are. Confusing people can make their comments hard to follow. I've also tried to remember where people are, but that's a little easier to keep track of. Anything to save face!
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 98 next>>
Swaps, KALs, Periodicals, Group Activities
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.