Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
snickerdoodle cookies
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Feb 22, 2019 18:05:25   #
BarbaraSD
 
Does anyone make these cookies? If so, do you put in the Cream of Tarter? I understand it is supposed to make the. cookies puff up, but I was told long ago that it makes the cookies harder. What is your take on the cream of tarter? Yes? or No?

Thanks for your replies Barbara
 
Feb 22, 2019 18:07:17   #
Nanxy (a regular here)
 
Don’t bake any longer but Snickerdoodles was one of my favorites to make and I never used cream of tartar. Mine never got hard...but then I have three hungry kids and one hungry husband.
Feb 22, 2019 18:20:24   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
BarbaraSD wrote:
Does anyone make these cookies? If so, do you put in the Cream of Tarter? I understand it is supposed to make the. cookies puff up, but I was told long ago that it makes the cookies harder. What is your take on the cream of tarter? Yes? or No?

Thanks for your replies Barbara


Basically, baking powder is just cream of tartar and baking soda. So using it along with baking soda supplies a basic leavening action. Some commercial baking powders contain other ingredients that might affect the taste. Also, adding other ingredients are for fine tuning the leavening process. Older recipes might just be sticking to basics with the simple baking soda and tartaric acid (cream of tartar) leavening.
Feb 22, 2019 18:22:34   #
BarbaraSD
 
thanks for your reply. making them for my son’s birthday. His favorite, too. and he’s 51
Feb 22, 2019 18:29:13   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
Nanxy wrote:
Don’t bake any longer but Snickerdoodles was one of my favorites to make and I never used cream of tartar. Mine never got hard...but then I have three hungry kids and one hungry husband.


My husband and kids were always waiting by the oven for them! No stale cookies in our house, either! 🙂🙂🙂
Feb 22, 2019 18:38:28   #
golddigger
 
I use the cream of tartar. I like the flavor and my cookies do not turn out hard.
 
Feb 22, 2019 18:44:57   #
Helma (a regular here)
 
I use the cream of tartar .
One of my favorite things to do is freezing them .
When you thaw them out , they are nice and soft .
I usually bake at least a triple batch of any of my baking .
There is only my husband and I , but he has a sweet tooth .
I like to freezer bake and quite often make at least 12 dozen cookies at a crack .
Feb 22, 2019 18:50:48   #
grammypeg (a regular here)
 
I think part of the hardness of the cookies is the kind fat that is used. I've made snickerdoodles from the same recipe for almost 60 years. I started with shortening which was used a lot in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.
Now I use butter which or half butter and half shortening, it keeps the cookies softer and more chewy. My recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tartar.
It is one of the very favorites of my grandsons.
Feb 22, 2019 19:29:02   #
BarbaraSD
 
thanks everyone. I’ve decided to make two batches. one without cream of tarter and one with. I’ll let everyone know which one i liked.
Feb 22, 2019 19:31:47   #
crafterwantabe (a regular here)
 
I make these cookies, and I do use the cream of tarter... I guess I don’t really know If the cream of taster causes them to be hard or just baking to long. I like crispy cookies.
Feb 22, 2019 19:40:21   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
grammypeg wrote:
I think part of the hardness of the cookies is the kind fat that is used. I've made snickerdoodles from the same recipe for almost 60 years. I started with shortening which was used a lot in the 40s, 50s, and 60s.
Now I use butter which or half butter and half shortening, it keeps the cookies softer and more chewy. My recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tartar.
It is one of the very favorites of my grandsons.


It's the sugar, too. On "America's Test Kitchen," they discovered that using all white sugar made for crispier cookies, and brown sugar made them chewier.
 
Feb 22, 2019 19:50:31   #
kaytea (a regular here)
 
I use it, snicker-doodles is my daughters favorite cookie and I make them for her every year for Christmas , I have never left it out so can't tell you what difference it would make . All I know is she won't even share her cookies lol .
Feb 22, 2019 20:22:34   #
Quiltermouse
 
I always use it. I don't think the texture is right without it.
Feb 22, 2019 20:24:56   #
grammypeg (a regular here)
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
It's the sugar, too. On "America's Test Kitchen," they discovered that using all white sugar made for crispier cookies, and brown sugar made them chewier.


I think brown sugar makes everything moister. It's more hydrophilic, so holds water. But then they would look and taste different from the "old fashioned" snickerdoodles of my past.
Feb 22, 2019 20:26:24   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
Yes, I use it also.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.