Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Length for 6 month old sweater
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Feb 22, 2019 23:30:16   #
craftsbycheri
 
I love knitting but am not the best. I have taught myself how to knit but there are things I still need to learn. I am making a sweater in size 6 month. But I don't think from the underarm down to the hem will be long enough. Maybe I am making it too loose causing it to be a little bigger around for the length. So I was wondering how long from the underarm to the hem a 6 month sweater should be? Thanks for any help
 
Feb 23, 2019 00:00:21   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
craftsbycheri wrote:
I love knitting but am not the best. I have taught myself how to knit but there are things I still need to learn. I am making a sweater in size 6 month. But I don't think from the underarm down to the hem will be long enough. Maybe I am making it too loose causing it to be a little bigger around for the length. So I was wondering how long from the underarm to the hem a 6 month sweater should be? Thanks for any help


The Craft Yarn Council has size charts. This one is the baby sizes.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/baby-size-chart
Feb 23, 2019 00:48:45   #
k1p1granny (a regular here)
 
The mothers I knit for prefer the garments to be on the longer side. They tend to ride up and expose their little backs if not long enough
Feb 23, 2019 03:54:26   #
Chrissy (a regular here)
 
I am currently knitting a 6 - 12 month size. Underarm to hem is 8 inches. Hope that helps.
Feb 23, 2019 08:17:03   #
craftsbycheri
 
Thank you so much. I didn't want to make it too long either.
Feb 23, 2019 08:17:56   #
craftsbycheri
 
Thank you. I will keep that in mind. My youngest is 27 so it has been awhile
 
Feb 23, 2019 08:18:36   #
craftsbycheri
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
The Craft Yarn Council has size charts. This one is the baby sizes.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/baby-size-chart


Thanks that helps alot for sizing
Feb 23, 2019 16:42:34   #
Binzy
 
My GD (1yo) just received a hand knit sweater from a friend of mine. I thought it looked short but it was a cute fit. I think it was only about 5” underarm to the hem. She is petite but I guess what I’m saying is it’s ok if it’s shorter than you think. Longer will make it wearable for longer but the cropped look was cute. Then too, we are in CA where it isn’t so cold and a cropped sweater might be more appropriate.
Feb 24, 2019 18:41:22   #
craftsbycheri
 
Binzy wrote:
My GD (1yo) just received a hand knit sweater from a friend of mine. I thought it looked short but it was a cute fit. I think it was only about 5” underarm to the hem. She is petite but I guess what I’m saying is it’s ok if it’s shorter than you think. Longer will make it wearable for longer but the cropped look was cute. Then too, we are in CA where it isn’t so cold and a cropped sweater might be more appropriate.


Thank you for the help. I ended up making it 8 inches and it looks good to me with how big around the waist is. Now just to sew to the sleeve seams and try to find a hat pattern that matches. I will try to get a picture. Thanks for all the help everyone
 
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.