Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Gregg Shorthand Dictation
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
Mar 18, 2019 11:11:22   #
TapestryArtist
 
I am looking for a CD or something that will read to me on the computer so that I can refresh my Gregg Shorthand skills. I took Shorthand in both high school and vocational college being trained for the Mayo Clinic, but that "skill" is pretty lame in me now. SO.........if anyone knows where I can get that kind of disk........etc. so I can practice that would be great. I found, even in my younger days, that shorthand was so very helpful practice for the mind.

Thanks for any information pointing me to a source.
 
Mar 18, 2019 11:14:56   #
abc123retired
 
Audiobooks? Be entertained while you listen and transcribe. The speed of mine can be adjusted to suit. I so wanted to learn that skill when I was young. My mother was a secretary and she didn’t want her girls to have that career.
Mar 18, 2019 11:17:31   #
flowergrower (a regular here)
 
I learned shorthand in business college and never enjoyed it! Teacher we had could have had that negative impact! Nearly 50 years ago.
Mar 18, 2019 11:19:32   #
SQM (a regular here)
 
TapestryArtist wrote:
I am looking for a CD or something that will read to me on the computer so that I can refresh my Gregg Shorthand skills. I took Shorthand in both high school and vocational college being trained for the Mayo Clinic, but that "skill" is pretty lame in me now. SO.........if anyone knows where I can get that kind of disk........etc. so I can practice that would be great. I found, even in my younger days, that shorthand was so very helpful practice for the mind.

Thanks for any information pointing me to a source.
I am looking for a CD or something that will read ... (show quote)


Did you try looking on Amazon or used book stores? I think shorthand went out with the dodo once dictaphones became popular. Are there really computer programs out there? That would surprise me. But it is a worthwhile endeavor.
Mar 18, 2019 11:20:21   #
Curmudgeon (a regular here)
 
I loved shorthand. It was like writing in secret code - and nobody could read my diary. Every once in a while I drag out my ancient book and review/practice a little.
Mar 18, 2019 11:20:36   #
RookieRetiree (a regular here)
 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=gregg+shorthand+tutorial&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=diamond+ruby+white+gold+pendant&LH_TitleDesc=0

Some have 33-1/3 RPM records...you could transfer to thumb drive.
 
Mar 18, 2019 11:32:09   #
lil rayma (a regular here)
 
Don't forget to try the library. They may have books and/or recordings.
Mar 18, 2019 11:32:17   #
luvrcats (a regular here)
 
I, too, loved shorthand--and taking all the business subjects in HS, led me to being a secretary--to supplement my income white being a dance teacher for 21 years and after "retired" from teaching. Also, it was by the grace of these subjects, that I had a higher grade score for graduation!
Mar 18, 2019 11:40:36   #
riversong200 (a regular here)
 
Gregg Shorthand was a great skill to have in the olden days when I first started working. I used to try to keep it up but there are very few symbols that have stuck with me. It might be fun to try to recover some of it. Anyone else remember the steno books with the common symbols on the back cover?
Mar 18, 2019 11:40:38   #
MsNewKnit (a regular here)
 
TapestryArtist wrote:
I am looking for a CD or something that will read to me on the computer so that I can refresh my Gregg Shorthand skills. I took Shorthand in both high school and vocational college being trained for the Mayo Clinic, but that "skill" is pretty lame in me now. SO.........if anyone knows where I can get that kind of disk........etc. so I can practice that would be great. I found, even in my younger days, that shorthand was so very helpful practice for the mind.

Thanks for any information pointing me to a source.
I am looking for a CD or something that will read ... (show quote)


I used to listen to records, and write the lyrics in shorthand...really helped my speed.
Mar 18, 2019 11:42:03   #
Meryl Needles
 
took a couple semesters of Grieg in business school many moons ago but didn't do well with it. Later on, learned ABC shorthand. It was easier and quicker to learn, plus, after learning the basics, you can pretty much create your own system or code. I still use it now when writing myself reminder notes.
 
Mar 18, 2019 12:00:47   #
nsoldriver
 
I learned it almost 30 years ago and STILL "write" with my finger while I watch tv as if I'm taking dictation. :/ I could scribble it out on paper, but would I be able to transcribe it...?! HaHa
Mar 18, 2019 12:01:47   #
ChasingRainbows (a regular here)
 
Meryl Needles wrote:
took a couple semesters of Grieg in business school many moons ago but didn't do well with it. Later on, learned ABC shorthand. It was easier and quicker to learn, plus, after learning the basics, you can pretty much create your own system or code. I still use it now when writing myself reminder notes.


I also learned ABC shorthand. I think it's the precursor for the acronyms/abbreviations now used in texting.
Mar 18, 2019 12:13:39   #
Curmudgeon (a regular here)
 
MsNewKnit wrote:
I used to listen to records, and write the lyrics in shorthand...really helped my speed.

I did that too!
Mar 18, 2019 13:10:33   #
TapestryArtist
 
SQM wrote:
Did you try looking on Amazon or used book stores? I think shorthand went out with the dodo once dictaphones became popular. Are there really computer programs out there? That would surprise me. But it is a worthwhile endeavor.


I have the books......... I need to have dictation............ spose' that's past its time......
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next>>
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.