Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Help please! Curling edges of afghan (k)
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Mar 22, 2019 18:07:40   #
Sampymom
 
The bottom edge of this afghan is curling up. It is not stockinette, so I was surprised when it started curling. It is acrylic yarn, so blocking won't help much. The only thing that I can think of to do is "kill" the yarn - just on the curling edge. I wanted to check with you all before doing that drastic measure. Thank you!




 
Mar 22, 2019 18:10:11   #
fergablu2 (a regular here)
 
If you can crochet, a row or two single crochet, 3 stitches in each point, will help, if a trip through the washer and dryer don’t, when it’s finished, of course.

You can use steam from an iron held several inches above the wrong side to block without killing the acrylic.
Mar 22, 2019 18:46:46   #
GermaineL
 
I think crocheting the edge would ruin the nice stitch pattern. I would machine wash it and lay it flat to dry on towels on the floor.. I've been chairman of the afghan projects for our knitting guild and have had a lot of experience with blocking acrylics and acrylic blends and they always flatten out well using this technique.
Mar 22, 2019 18:54:31   #
MMWRay (a regular here)
 
Your cast on was too tight. Do the single crochet on both ends to match. I usually knit a segment of garter before starting this pattern.
Mar 22, 2019 19:07:51   #
painthoss (a regular here)
 
I’m with Fergablue, steam it, pat it flat and you should not have to do it again.
Mar 22, 2019 19:20:02   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
MMWRay wrote:
Your cast on was too tight. Do the single crochet on both ends to match. I usually knit a segment of garter before starting this pattern.


I agree--the cast on is too tight. That's why I like having so many different kinds of cast on available.
 
Mar 22, 2019 19:31:49   #
Knitting in the Rockys (a regular here)
 
Beachgirl1000 wrote:
I agree--the cast on is too tight. That's why I like having so many different kinds of cast on available.


I also agree and a crochet edging isn't going to help either. That too tight edge is simply going to pull the crochet edging with it. Casing on with a needle 2 sizes up will prevent this.
Mar 22, 2019 20:18:35   #
SongbirdRichards
 
What is the pattern, I like that a lot.
Have to agree that the vast on looks like it could do with being 're knit a couple of needle sizes up, but lovely work.
Mar 22, 2019 21:22:54   #
GrumpyGramma (a regular here)
 
I wonder if the technique in this video might help. If the cast on is too tight I have doubts. Sorry. I'd only kill the acrylic as a very last resort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqs_CZxe9Cg&t=5s
Mar 22, 2019 23:28:10   #
laceluvr (a regular here)
 
If you used a long tail CO to start your project; the cast on technique in this video may help the next time you start a lacy pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA3CFC2MYDY
Mar 22, 2019 23:49:23   #
Sampymom
 
GrumpyGramma wrote:
I wonder if the technique in this video might help. If the cast on is too tight I have doubts. Sorry. I'd only kill the acrylic as a very last resort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqs_CZxe9Cg&t=5s


I think this is what I'm going to do. I don't think the cast on is too tight to do it. Thank you for the link! I'm going to do it from the back so it won't show as much and will help the cupping.
 
Mar 22, 2019 23:51:12   #
Sampymom
 
laceluvr wrote:
If you used a long tail CO to start your project; the cast on technique in this video may help the next time you start a lacy pattern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA3CFC2MYDY


Thank you so much for this link! What a great, easy cast on.
Mar 22, 2019 23:53:11   #
Sampymom
 
painthoss wrote:
I’m with Fergablue, steam it, pat it flat and you should not have to do it again.


I'm going to do this first to flatten it somewhat. Then I'll do the crochet trick mentioned below if it's still cupping. Thank you!
Mar 22, 2019 23:55:36   #
Sampymom
 
SongbirdRichards wrote:
What is the pattern, I like that a lot.
Have to agree that the vast on looks like it could do with being 're knit a couple of needle sizes up, but lovely work.


It is an afghan kit from Mary Maxim called Sandstone Ripple Afghan.
Mar 22, 2019 23:59:10   #
SongbirdRichards
 
Thank you. I will check that out.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.