Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
How do they do it? K
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Mar 22, 2019 19:29:56   #
Casey47
 
How do you get the stitching perfect like this. When I go from the knit sts to the purl ones it's all sloppy. This is what I want mine to look like. I don't have a sample of mine. It was too awful to keep and I tinked it.


 
Mar 22, 2019 19:30:30   #
Beachgirl1000 (a regular here)
 
Casey47 wrote:
How do you get the stitching perfect like this. When I go from the knit sts to the purl ones it's all sloppy. This is what I want mine to look like. I don't have a sample of mine. It was too awful to keep and I tinked it.


It could be a machine knitted item.
Mar 22, 2019 19:33:28   #
jmcret05 (a regular here)
 
I would say that blocking after it was finished had a lot to do with it. Pictures of the back on Ravelry. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/all-these-places/people
Mar 22, 2019 19:35:00   #
JoanDL (a regular here)
 
Maybe wood needles would help grab the yarn? My tension is a little more even with wood. I find metal ones allow the yarn to slip more. Depends on what I am making which I use. Just a thought.
Mar 22, 2019 19:35:34   #
Augustgran (a regular here)
 
Found the blog associated with the puc.
Jmcret05 is correct in suggesting blocking had a lot to do with it.
If you scroll down in the link ,you can see her progress pics.
Before and after blocking
https://fiftyfourtenstudio.blogspot.com/2019/02/all-these-places-new-blanket-knitting.html
Mar 22, 2019 20:06:37   #
MMWRay (a regular here)
 
Tighten up your tension when going from the knit to purl and purl to knit.
 
Mar 22, 2019 20:10:12   #
run4fittness (a regular here)
 
MMWRay wrote:
Tighten up your tension when going from the knit to purl and purl to knit.




Just don't over tighten your tension.
Mar 22, 2019 20:47:03   #
LEE1313 (a regular here)
 
And years of practice.
we all try for perfection. Some of us fall short ( ME !) But I keep trying
Hang in there. Sone great tips have been offered
Mar 22, 2019 21:48:37   #
connieengel
 
Very pink knit addresses this problem in one of her videos.
Mar 22, 2019 22:49:28   #
Casey47
 
Augustgran wrote:
Found the blog associated with the puc.
Jmcret05 is correct in suggesting blocking had a lot to do with it.
If you scroll down in the link ,you can see her progress pics.
Before and after blocking
https://fiftyfourtenstudio.blogspot.com/2019/02/all-these-places-new-blanket-knitting.html


Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that it was made out of bulky yarn. BUT - big but here - do you block if you use acrylic yarn. I didn't even check if her yarn was acrylic or not. I can't use animal fibers at all. And I'm terrified of killing the yarn if I try to block acrylic. It's pretty clear that I don't know much about this stuff - sorry.
Mar 22, 2019 23:37:33   #
no1girl (a regular here)
 
I think it looks better as a basketweave idea all woven and bumpy. The flat, sat on look spoils it for me.
 
Mar 22, 2019 23:52:01   #
SiblingRivalry
 
Casey47 wrote:
Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that it was made out of bulky yarn. BUT - big but here - do you block if you use acrylic yarn. I didn't even check if her yarn was acrylic or not. I can't use animal fibers at all. And I'm terrified of killing the yarn if I try to block acrylic. It's pretty clear that I don't know much about this stuff - sorry.


The sample is acrylic yarn. Here’s an excerpt from the blog:

I used Lion Brand Yarn 'Color Made Easy' bulky weight yarn in the colorway 'Basalt'. This bulky weight yarn has a lovely, light weight feel. The stitch definition is fantastic!! I'm absolutely thrilled with the final appearance of this project. This yarn is 100% acrylic, easy care and affordably priced. And, it's available in more than 20 pretty colorways. I really enjoyed knitting with it! (In fact, I've already started on another design using this yarn!)

With this type of acrylic yarn, one need only machine wash and dry for “blocking”.
Mar 23, 2019 06:20:14   #
Caroline19 (a regular here)
 
Casey47 wrote:
Thanks for the link! I didn't realize that it was made out of bulky yarn. BUT - big but here - do you block if you use acrylic yarn. I didn't even check if her yarn was acrylic or not. I can't use animal fibers at all. And I'm terrified of killing the yarn if I try to block acrylic. It's pretty clear that I don't know much about this stuff - sorry.


All my baby blankets that I have knit are made of acrylic yarn and I always block the blankets when finished. As for tension that will come with practice and time. I have been practicing for almost 50 years and I no longer think about tension...it just happens. What I would love is to learn how to knit while I'm sleeping so that I could get all my WIP projects done!!!😉
Mar 23, 2019 08:24:21   #
Colour wheel (a regular here)
 
It's all in the choice of yarn.
Mar 23, 2019 09:51:32   #
BethKlinger
 
Yarn has a lot to do with it, but that definitely looks blocked to me too. Beautiful stitch though.
Page: 1 2 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.