Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
Main
Weaving in ends
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
May 11, 2019 23:06:05   #
cknonna
 
Hi there. I was wondering how most of you weave in the ends of the yarn after you are done knitting dishcloths. It seems that I weave them through, knot them & then cut the extra yarn off. But, when I use them for a while the knotted ends seem to come out. Any help and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
 
May 11, 2019 23:09:45   #
books (a regular here)
 
cknonna wrote:
Hi there. I was wondering how most of you weave in the ends of the yarn after you are done knitting dishcloths. It seems that I weave them through, knot them & then cut the extra yarn off. But, when I use them for a while the knotted ends seem to come out. Any help and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you.


My ends come out too. Seems the friction of using on dishes makes the ends pop out. Doesn't bother me, really. It's just a dishcloth.
May 11, 2019 23:32:25   #
Knitting in the Rockys (a regular here)
 
books wrote:
My ends some out too. Seems the friction of using on dishes makes the ends pop out. Doesn't bother me, really. It's just a dishcloth.


My feelings exactly. If anyone wants to inspect my dishcloths for ends that are showing, I'm likely to invite them to leave anyway. Someone once used my guest bathroom, came out and told me they "fixed" my toilet paper and put it on the holder properly, I showed them the front door and asked them to walk out of it.
May 11, 2019 23:35:59   #
books (a regular here)
 
Knitting in the Rockys wrote:
My feelings exactly. If anyone wants to inspect my dishcloths for ends that are showing, I'm likely to invite them to leave anyway. Someone once used my guest bathroom, came out and told me they "fixed" my toilet paper and put it on the holder properly, I showed them the front door and asked them to walk out of it.


Although, I suppose if the OP is making the cloths for gifts, she would want them as nice as possible

This might help https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAWAFN_enUS822&q=knitting+weaving+in+ends+cotton&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil7MHTh5XiAhUJCawKHR47Ba8Q1QIoBXoECAUQBg&biw=1366&bih=609#kpvalbx=1
May 11, 2019 23:45:18   #
cknonna
 
Many thanks to all of you!!
May 11, 2019 23:47:04   #
dawn-in-nz
 
I usually just fasten off at the end by threading the cotton onto a plastic needle and looping the cotton through itself and pulling tight, cut cotton leaving about a finger length and weave through the dishcloth until you can't see it, I don't knot after doing that and so far haven't had any problems with the three I'm using myself. It will most probably start to poke out at some stage but by then I'm past caring! As someone else said, it's a dishcloth!

I'm wondering if anyone else has made dishcloths with a 50% cotton/50% acrylic mix thread? I'd like to know how they hold up to the wear and tear and if they are as good as the 100% cotton cloths?


 
May 11, 2019 23:49:39   #
The Reader
 
cknonna wrote:
Hi there. I was wondering how most of you weave in the ends of the yarn after you are done knitting dishcloths. It seems that I weave them through, knot them & then cut the extra yarn off. But, when I use them for a while the knotted ends seem to come out. Any help and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you.


Very pink has a video that shows how she weaves in the ends on dishcloths. She splits the yarn into two strands and then weaves these ends in two different directions. You might check the video: it is called how to make a dishcloth: go near the end to watch her technique.
May 11, 2019 23:53:06   #
dawn-in-nz
 
Oh I love this, thank you so much for the link, I'm going to try that in future, excellent.

> This might help https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAWAFN_enUS822&q=knitting+weaving+in+ends+cotton&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwil7MHTh5XiAhUJCawKHR47Ba8Q1QIoBXoECAUQBg&biw=1366&bih=609#kpvalbx=1
May 11, 2019 23:57:15   #
books (a regular here)
 
dawn-in-nz wrote:
I usually just fasten off at the end by threading the cotton onto a plastic needle and looping the cotton through itself and pulling tight, cut cotton leaving about a finger length and weave through the dishcloth until you can't see it, I don't knot after doing that and so far haven't had any problems with the three I'm using myself. It will most probably start to poke out at some stage but by then I'm past caring! As someone else said, it's a dishcloth!

I'm wondering if anyone else has made dishcloths with a 50% cotton/50% acrylic mix thread? I'd like to know how they hold up to the wear and tear and if they are as good as the 100% cotton cloths?
I usually just fasten off at the end by threading ... (show quote)


Have never used a blend, only pure cotton for my cloths. Usually, the cheap stuff, Peaches and Creme.
May 12, 2019 00:05:22   #
adamsdh
 
cknonna wrote:
Hi there. I was wondering how most of you weave in the ends of the yarn after you are done knitting dishcloths. It seems that I weave them through, knot them & then cut the extra yarn off. But, when I use them for a while the knotted ends seem to come out. Any help and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you.


I just finished a dishcloth this evening and as I was weaving in the ends, I wondered how it would hold up over time.
I wove the yarn end back and forth a bit and then separated the yarn into two strands. I then tied the two strands in a knot and wove in those ends as well. I did not cut them at the knot.
May 12, 2019 00:49:11   #
dawn-in-nz
 
books wrote:
Have never used a blend, only pure cotton for my cloths. Usually, the cheap stuff, Peaches and Creme.


I haven't either. I just wish any of the cotton yarn was cheap here!
 
May 12, 2019 01:56:31   #
Nanamel14 (a regular here)
 
I just weave them in for a few stitches, then back the other way....i then pull my cloth in each direction before snipping of the thread as close as possible, it then vanished into the cloth
May 12, 2019 07:17:02   #
jinx (a regular here)
 
I weave the end down several stitches then weave the end back up again to the edge. Pull left, right, up and down and then cut off even with the edge. Knock wood, I never have an end show it's nasty face again.
May 12, 2019 07:23:26   #
WendyMargaret (a regular here)
 
Nanamel14 wrote:
I just weave them in for a few stitches, then back the other way....i then pull my cloth in each direction before snipping of the thread as close as possible, it then vanished into the cloth


I do the same. I have never had an end pop out. Don’t like knots.
May 12, 2019 07:35:35   #
Aunty M (a regular here)
 
cknonna wrote:
Hi there. I was wondering how most of you weave in the ends of the yarn after you are done knitting dishcloths. It seems that I weave them through, knot them & then cut the extra yarn off. But, when I use them for a while the knotted ends seem to come out. Any help and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you.


Here's a link for weaving in ends for cotton dishcloths. I use it for other cotton knits, too.

https://youtu.be/j4iOwsf4smQ
Page: 1 2 3 next>>
Main
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.