Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Will wonders never cease?
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
May 29, 2019 10:04:42   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
I, like many others, hate those robocalls. Along with spam & scam calls. I have a call blocker app and I have actually blocked numbers that have made it through. This morning, thanks to the wonders of technology, I have been inundated with TEXT MESSAGES asking for my committed ($$$) support for 4 different possible presidential nominees AND, my favorite guy, the current President himself. I think I'm going to set up camp in the woods, in a cabin snug & warm, and rely on smoke signals til late November, 2020. But then I'd miss KP and that makes me break out in a sweat. Oh, well.....
 
May 29, 2019 10:12:16   #
Nanxy (a regular here)
 
They will find you anyway, must as well stay put and deal with them like the rest of us!
May 29, 2019 10:13:37   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
Nanxy wrote:
They will find you anyway, must as well stay put and deal with them like the rest of us!

Yeah. But they're all pesky weasels nonetheless. 😏
May 29, 2019 10:19:49   #
janallynbob (a regular here)
 
If that poor woman lost in Hawaii for 17 days could be found, they will find you, lol, with drone's.

Janallyn
May 29, 2019 10:20:48   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
janallynbob wrote:
If that poor woman lost in Hawaii for 17 days could be found, they will find you, lol, with drone's.

Janallyn


Oh, boy! You speak truth, Sister! LOL!
May 29, 2019 10:30:55   #
susandkline (a regular here)
 
Not sure, but I think political messages are allowed.
 
May 29, 2019 10:57:15   #
seamer45 (a regular here)
 
Try getting your name off those lists. After my SIL died 16 months ago I was caring for our GD so our daughter gave me his phone to use. She had no land line, hubby and I had one cell phone between us. And every politician running for office in CA and VT texted or emailed him for the 2018 election. I got them all to stop. Most had an unsubscribe process the others I emailed. SIL had lived in CA for many years before returning to VT.
May 29, 2019 11:31:00   #
Janpeonys (a regular here)
 
janallynbob wrote:
If that poor woman lost in Hawaii for 17 days could be found, they will find you, lol, with drone's.

Janallyn


May 29, 2019 11:40:38   #
impatient knitter (a regular here)
 
I have had good results with what I do to stop, or limit, these unwanted and annoying phone calls. I've mentioned it on KP before, and it's still working for me.

Firstly, I believe the reason of some of these automatic, or "robo" calls, is for the expressed purpose of finding out when the phone calls would be answered, so they can use "live people" to call back during that time and give you their "pitch." If they don't get a response to that first automatic call, they'll usually keep calling back until they get someone to answer. Incidentally, an answering machine indicates the robo-call has been answered. I only activate my answering machine when I leave the house, although I have a cell phone that only my family would use in case of an emergency. I have a brother who is 88 and still lives alone, and a 90yr old sister who is always on the go, and still drives. I am always concerned about them, and want them to be able to contact me whenever.

So, what do I do to cut down on the unwanted calls? When I get one from a number I don't recognize--or one I DO recognize as a robo-call--I mute every "sound" in the room I'm in, muting the TV if it's on. With my thumb over the tiny "microphone" in the handset of the phone, I answer the call, but do not speak. I count to three and then disconnect the call. It doesn't matter if I hear a voice or just silence. This almost always indicates to a caller--human or otherwise--that their call reached a non-working number. I rarely...and I do mean rarely get another call from that same number. As a result of this, I believe I receive much fewer calls, as opposed to the 10-15 calls a day I used to get before I started doing this.

While this may not work in the same manner for everyone, depending on where you live, and/or what your telephone provider allows, it works quite well for me. I found these calls really annoying, and since my phone company does not (yet) allow any method to stop them, I had to take matters into my own hand.
May 29, 2019 12:37:30   #
klrober (a regular here)
 
impatient knitter wrote:
I have had good results with what I do to stop, or limit, these unwanted and annoying phone calls. I've mentioned it on KP before, and it's still working for me.

Firstly, I believe the reason of some of these automatic, or "robo" calls, is for the expressed purpose of finding out when the phone calls would be answered, so they can use "live people" to call back during that time and give you their "pitch." If they don't get a response to that first automatic call, they'll usually keep calling back until they get someone to answer. Incidentally, an answering machine indicates the robo-call has been answered. I only activate my answering machine when I leave the house, although I have a cell phone that only my family would use in case of an emergency. I have a brother who is 88 and still lives alone, and a 90yr old sister who is always on the go, and still drives. I am always concerned about them, and want them to be able to contact me whenever.

So, what do I do to cut down on the unwanted calls? When I get one from a number I don't recognize--or one I DO recognize as a robo-call--I mute every "sound" in the room I'm in, muting the TV if it's on. With my thumb over the tiny "microphone" in the handset of the phone, I answer the call, but do not speak. I count to three and then disconnect the call. It doesn't matter if I hear a voice or just silence. This almost always indicates to a caller--human or otherwise--that their call reached a non-working number. I rarely...and I do mean rarely get another call from that same number. As a result of this, I believe I receive much fewer calls, as opposed to the 10-15 calls a day I used to get before I started doing this.

While this may not work in the same manner for everyone, depending on where you live, and/or what your telephone provider allows, it works quite well for me. I found these calls really annoying, and since my phone company does not (yet) allow any method to stop them, I had to take matters into my own hand.
I have had good results with what I do to stop, or... (show quote)


Glad your method works for you but the phone company will still register your number as an active one....maybe the scammers give up easily as there are plenty out there...for me I had to get a new phone with " call blocking" & that is working out great....I too was getting 10-20 calls a day & it was driving me nuts....
May 29, 2019 13:05:35   #
esseike (a regular here)
 
Those politicians blow a lot of smoke so you will still get unwanted smoke signals. Just sayin'...
 
May 29, 2019 13:10:49   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
esseike wrote:
Those politicians blow a lot of smoke so you will still get unwanted smoke signals. Just sayin'...


Boy, you aren't just whistlin' Dixie! Would have to find some of those signal lamps & learn Morse Code like the Navy!
May 30, 2019 08:33:47   #
Cindy N in Jax
 
TRUMP is your favorite guy??????
May 30, 2019 10:04:51   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
Cindy N in Jax wrote:
TRUMP is your favorite guy??????

Hard to get sarcasm & facetiousness to come across. No, I think I can say without reservation of all the politicians in my life (I'm 68) he tops the list of least favorite & most loathsome. I cannot imagine disliking anyone more. And I'll leave it at that before I go off on a foul-mouthed tirade.
May 30, 2019 13:39:59   #
GrandmaSuzy
 
charbaby wrote:
I, like many others, hate those robocalls. Along with spam & scam calls. I have a call blocker app and I have actually blocked numbers that have made it through. This morning, thanks to the wonders of technology, I have been inundated with TEXT MESSAGES asking for my committed ($$$) support for 4 different possible presidential nominees AND, my favorite guy, the current President himself. I think I'm going to set up camp in the woods, in a cabin snug & warm, and rely on smoke signals til late November, 2020. But then I'd miss KP and that makes me break out in a sweat. Oh, well.....
I, like many others, hate those robocalls. Along w... (show quote)


Reply 'STOP' and they will stop. Voice of experience!
Page: 1 2 next>>
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.