Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
New smart phone
(?)
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: 1 2 next>>
Aug 9, 2019 10:51:53   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
My old smart phone & I had reached a treaty of sorts. I didn't ask it to do everything Samsung said it was capable of. It didn't make me feel too old & non-technical very often. That Galaxy 8 was just fine. Until, on the 5th, it wasn't. So I bought a new one at the best price possible, getting a better monthly rate in the process. What a bother. Couldn't get in once I took phone home. The 8 worked fine there. The 10 not at all. My passwords wouldn't work. Couldn't get into my email, the internet so horror of horrors, no KP until today. From August 5th!!! I have been in Verizon's store twice a day, called tech support, you name it. Finally had to create a new gmail account. I've had the original one for at least 12 years. So many people & businesses to notify of the change. Like my daughter said, technology is great until it isn't. So I have a new phone & email address. Could have been worse. DH is making progress with PT. Have a great day! So happy to be able to see KP again. When the budget allows I will have to get an I pad like device to have something to read KP & patterns, etc.
 
Aug 9, 2019 11:03:02   #
SueFerns
 
Good luck with your phone. I feel for you
Aug 9, 2019 11:18:35   #
Gaildh
 
Oh I so understand hubbie phone just died and I had to do the same as you you what a pain!
Aug 9, 2019 13:10:34   #
hannabavaria (a regular here)
 
Glad your DH is improving :) Would you please tell me, if they required an e-mail address from you (while applying for an e-mail acct.)?
Aug 9, 2019 13:35:38   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
hannabavaria wrote:
Glad your DH is improving :) Would you please tell me, if they required an e-mail address from you (while applying for an e-mail acct.)?

To get into the internet & email I had to create a new email address. But despite multiple attempts by the Verizon regional manager-tech guru person & their corporate tech support & Samsung's tech support, I cannot recover all my emails sent to my original address. Had a good bit of stuff saved there for later review, such as senior housing in Columbus, real estate contacts, etc. Made me pretty nuts for 3 days. But it is what it is. Wish I could get rid of my house & clutter so easily & completely! It was crazy. It wouldn't take my long established passwords so gmail sent me an email to open the locked up account. Which I couldn't open because it was sent to the locked up account! The loop from hell.
Aug 9, 2019 13:36:06   #
Evie RM (a regular here)
 
Good luck. I would still be using my flip phone if I had not taken advantage of the offer to purchase a $300 SIM card for 9 years of unlimited cell phone service. There were 4 phones on my Verizon bill that was costing about $125.00 per month and two of those phones were flip phones. We bought 4 SIM cards at $300 each and now have unlimited minutes, texting and 4G data with no monthly cell phone bill. Unfortunately, I had to give up the flip phone that my hubby and I shared and get a smart phone that my hubby and I share. It is off 95% of the time because we rarely go anywhere. Neither of us has learned how to use it for anything other than placing a call if we need to. The best thing is that I no longer have a cell phone bill. I cancelled Verizon in January, so $125.00 times 7 months of no cell phone bills equals $875.00. My savings over a full year will be $1,100.00. My savings over 9 years will be $9,900.00. Four SIM cards at $300 each is $1,200.00.

I have a desk top computer and I have a digital camera. So, no need for a smart phone, but we had to get one. The others in my family who have the SIM cards have great service and unlimited 4G data. No problems at all.

I am glad your DH is making such good progress.

Have a great day.
 
Aug 9, 2019 14:18:29   #
MarilynKnits (a regular here)
 
Something I did when I had to change my e-mail address was to send a group mailing to everybody in my address list on the old account with the new address. I just deleted the people I didn't want to deal with like old vendors I don't use any more. I got the most of them with the least hassle to me.

Enjoy your new phone. Hope your DH finds complete and perfect healing. Have a great weekend.

See about refurbished iPads. I have an older model which isn't that speedy but it does the job. I don't have a smart phone, so the iPad is my supplement for taking pictures and handling e-mails. Only inconvenience is I have to be where I can pick up wi-fi to use data.
charbaby wrote:
My old smart phone & I had reached a treaty of sorts. I didn't ask it to do everything Samsung said it was capable of. It didn't make me feel too old & non-technical very often. That Galaxy 8 was just fine. Until, on the 5th, it wasn't. So I bought a new one at the best price possible, getting a better monthly rate in the process. What a bother. Couldn't get in once I took phone home. The 8 worked fine there. The 10 not at all. My passwords wouldn't work. Couldn't get into my email, the internet so horror of horrors, no KP until today. From August 5th!!! I have been in Verizon's store twice a day, called tech support, you name it. Finally had to create a new gmail account. I've had the original one for at least 12 years. So many people & businesses to notify of the change. Like my daughter said, technology is great until it isn't. So I have a new phone & email address. Could have been worse. DH is making progress with PT. Have a great day! So happy to be able to see KP again. When the budget allows I will have to get an I pad like device to have something to read KP & patterns, etc.
My old smart phone & I had reached a treaty of... (show quote)
Aug 9, 2019 15:37:59   #
mattie cat (a regular here)
 
My brother gave me a smart phone for Christmas. I was happy to keep my old pre flip-phone but I think my brother was embarrassed that his sister still had a dumb phone. I don't use half of the features as I have a desktop and a Kindle10 which between those two I have everything I need. The new Kindle 10 is even connected to Alexa so I have that feature and it also takes wonderful photos. Before you purchase an Ipad check out the Kindle. I was able to keep my email address that I have had since 1995 but I had to jump through many hoops to do so.
Aug 9, 2019 16:33:09   #
hannabavaria (a regular here)
 
Don't remember who said it, or where on TV I heard it: Used/refurbished tablet ~$50.--, see E-bay.
Aug 9, 2019 16:37:41   #
Aisles (a regular here)
 
ugh not good one of the reasons that even though I now have a smart phone I don't use it for anything other than calls and texts.

Sorry you are having problems with your new one.
Aug 9, 2019 18:54:07   #
ChasingRainbows
 
I had to replace my old smartpnone, chose a different brand and had no problems at all. I still have access to my old emails, which I get to from my phone, tablet, Kindle and PC.I

I didn't have to change passwords or set up new accounts.

If you saved any passwords when prompted by your browser, they are still saved there.
 
Aug 10, 2019 09:38:56   #
Hazel Blumberg - McKee (a regular here)
 
Charbaby, I am probably the only person in the world who doesn't have a smartphone. I don't need one for my work, and I really don't want one. I have a flip phone. I haven't even memorized its number. And in any case, I would never give the number out. I carry it with me for emergency use. It's certainly come in handy when I've had car trouble, or when I realize I'm going to be late for some appointment. I am probably terribly old school. My DH has had a smartphone for years and loves it.

Hazel
Aug 10, 2019 09:57:27   #
charbaby (a regular here)
 
Hazel Blumberg - McKee wrote:
Charbaby, I am probably the only person in the world who doesn't have a smartphone. I don't need one for my work, and I really don't want one. I have a flip phone. I haven't even memorized its number. And in any case, I would never give the number out. I carry it with me for emergency use. It's certainly come in handy when I've had car trouble, or when I realize I'm going to be late for some appointment. I am probably terribly old school. My DH has had a smartphone for years and loves it.

Hazel
Charbaby, I am probably the only person in the wor... (show quote)

I still miss my old flip phone. But had to get another after it was irretrievably broken in a long fall. Then the smart revolution began. I'll get the hang of this one. I'm just whining about the least important thing in my life right now. My brothers & DD & SIL couldn't live without their smartphones. I'm the only one who refused an I-phone. Maybe I'm just stubborn. Like my Mom used to say "nobody will know the difference in a hundred years."
Aug 10, 2019 10:02:45   #
Hazel Blumberg - McKee (a regular here)
 
charbaby wrote:
I still miss my old flip phone. But had to get another after it was irretrievably broken in a long fall. Then the smart revolution began. I'll get the hang of this one. I'm just whining about the least important thing in my life right now. My brothers & DD & SIL couldn't live without their smartphones. I'm the only one who refused an I-phone. Maybe I'm just stubborn. Like my Mom used to say "nobody will know the difference in a hundred years."


I hear you. There's a smartphone put out by Jitterbug that seems to be really simple to use. If I ever feel that I need a smartphone, I think that's what I'll go for.

It just seems so crazy to me that I'd have to actually "study" to figure out how to use a smartphone. Maybe I'm the only person in the world who finds them confusing. Well, OK. Even my techie DH gets annoyed with his any number of times. ;-)

I do, however, use my computer for work all day long. And for correspondence. And of course for reading KP. Sometimes my computer does utterly bizarre things. Usually, just rebooting it takes care of that. It's only had to go to the repair shop once since I purchased it, five whole years ago! (It's a MacBook Pro.)

Hazel
Aug 10, 2019 10:26:35   #
Granny41 (a regular here)
 
mattie cat wrote:
My brother gave me a smart phone for Christmas. I was happy to keep my old pre flip-phone but I think my brother was embarrassed that his sister still had a dumb phone. I don't use half of the features as I have a desktop and a Kindle10 which between those two I have everything I need. The new Kindle 10 is even connected to Alexa so I have that feature and it also takes wonderful photos. Before you purchase an Ipad check out the Kindle. I was able to keep my email address that I have had since 1995 but I had to jump through many hoops to do so.
My brother gave me a smart phone for Christmas. I... (show quote)


It is now called Amazon Fire HD 10. My son gave me one for Mothers' Day and I absolutely love it. It is slightly larger than the iPad mini and does pretty everything my desktop does and more. It takes wonderful pictures. No problem setting up my existing email either. I am attaching a link to reviews --
https://www.pcmag.com/review/356287/amazon-fire-hd-10-2017
Page: 1 2 next>>
General Chit-Chat (non-knitting talk)
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright
KnittingParadise.com - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.