Knitting Tea Party Friday 23 August ‘19Baked Peaches
AUTHOR: ERIN / WELL PLATED
3 fresh, very ripe peaches — halved and pitted
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon brandy — bourbon, or rum (optional)
1tablespoon coconut sugar or light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Vanilla ice cream, Greek yogurt, or heavy cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9x9-inch or similarly sized baking dish that’s large enough to hold the peach halves in a single layer with nonstick spray. Pick a dish that's sized to where your peaches fit comfortably side by side, but there isn't too much excess room around them. Arrange peaches cut-side up in the dish.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the oil, maple syrup, brandy, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Spoon the mixture over the peaches, filling the center and letting it run over the sides.
3. Bake peaches, uncovered, until the peaches are cooked through and fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream, Greek yogurt, or a pour of heavy cream, as desired.
Amount per serving (1 peach half) — Calories: 104, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Potassium: 158mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 12g, Protein: 1g, Vitamin A: 245%, Vitamin C: 5%, Calcium: 15%, Iron: 1%http://www.wellplated.com/baked-peaches/Banana Cream Pie
Author: Holly Nilsson
1 single pie crust baked
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/3 cups whole milk
4 eggs beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons butter
3 large bananas
1 cup heavy cream whipped
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk. Whisk over medium heat until hot and bubbly. Let boil 1 minute and remove from heat.
2. Whisk 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the eggs a spoonful at a time until incorporated.
3. Pour the egg mixture back into the pot and whisk.
4. Bring to a low boil and let cook 1 minute.
5. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
6. Transfer to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap allowing the wrap to touch the surface of the custard mixture. Refrigerate 30-45 minutes.
7. Spread a thin layer of custard into the prepared pie crust. Add sliced bananas and remaining custard.
8. Spread with whipped cream and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
Calories: 419, Fat: 24g, Saturated Fat: 12g, Cholesterol: 137mg, Sodium: 344mg, Potassium: 335mg, Carbohydrates: 45g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 26g, Protein: 8g, Vitamin A: 851%, Vitamin C: 4%, Calcium: 125%, Iron: 1%http://www.spendwithpennies.com/banana-cream-pie/?utm_source=RSSNewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Headline&utm_campaign=RSSNewsletterMarie's Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Recipe by: Marie Thomas
4 pounds chuck roast
salt and pepper to taste
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 cup water
3 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 stalk celery, chopped
1. Season the roast with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Brown on all sides in a large skillet over high heat, about 4 minutes per side.
3. Place the roast in the slow cooker and add the soup mix, water, carrots, onion, potatoes, and celery.
4. Cover and cook on Low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
Per Serving: 540 calories; 30.6 g fat; 18.2 g carbohydrates; 45.7 g protein; 147 mg cholesterol; 272 mg sodium.http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16346/maries-easy-slow-cooker-pot-roast/Braised Pork Shanks
Author: Tim Love
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chili powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6 pork shanks, about 1 1/2 pounds each
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium celery ribs, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup dry white wine
6 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
3 rosemary sprigs
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
1. In a large, sturdy resalable plastic bag, combine the flour and chili powder with 1 tablespoon each of salt and pepper. Add the pork shanks, one at a time, and shake to coat thoroughly.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering.
3. Add 3 of the pork shanks and cook over moderately high heat until browned all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer the browned shanks to a deep, heavy casserole. Wipe out the skillet and brown the remaining 3 pork shanks in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; lower the heat if necessary. Add the pork shanks to the casserole.
4. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Simmer until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes.
6. Pour the wine and vegetables over the pork.
7. Add the stock, rosemary, bay leaves and thyme, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
8. Tuck the pork shanks into the liquid so that they're mostly submerged. Cover and cook over moderately low heat for 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is very tender. Turn the pork shanks every 30 minutes to keep them submerged in the liquid.
9. Transfer the braised shanks to a large, deep platter, cover and keep warm.
10. Strain the liquid, pressing hard on the solids; discard the solids.
11. Return the liquid to the casserole and boil until reduced to 4 cups, about 20 minutes.
12. Spoon off the fat, pour the pork gravy over the braised shanks and serve.http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/braised-pork-shanks?cid=412156&did=412156-20190803&mid=23268746431&utm_campaign=faw-daily_newsletter&utm_content=080319&utm_medium=email&utm_source=foodandwine.comRoasted Brussels Sprouts
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts — trimmed and halved
4 cloves garlic — very roughly chopped (leave the pieces a bit chunky; add more if you live in a house of garlic lovers)
1½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons freshly ground or grated parmesan
Any of the optional additions from the blog post above: lemon, balsamic vinegar, herbs, red pepper flakes, etc.
1. Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Place the Brussels sprouts and garlic in the center of a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any other desired spice additions. Gently mix until the Brussels sprouts are evenly coated, then spread them into a single layer on the baking sheet. For even better crisping, flip the Brussels sprouts so that they are all cut sides down.
3. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and stir in the parmesan cheese. Continue baking 10 to 20 additional minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are lightly charred and crisp on the outside and tender in the center. The outer leaves will be very dark too.
4. Watch carefully towards the end of the baking time, as the cooking time will vary based on the size of your sprouts. Remove from the oven. Season with additional salt and/or pepper to taste. Enjoy immediately or at room temperature.
• For Bacon Brussels Sprouts: Add the bacon pieces to the sheet pan right along with the brussels sprouts in Step 1.
• They will cook in about the same amount of time.
• For Balsamic or Lemon Brussels Sprouts: Drizzle the vinegar or lemon juice over the sprouts after removing them from the oven. Return the pan to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes, and then serve.
• Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Re-crisp in a 350 degree F oven or rewarm in the microwave.
Calories: 540, Fat: 26g, Carbohydrates: 66g, Protein: 28ghttp://www.wellplated.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts-with-garlic/Chicken with Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
Author: Nagi | RecipeTin Eats
Servings 4 – 5
750g / 1.5lb chicken thighs OR chicken breast, skinless and boneless
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, strips, drained of oil (Note 1)
2 tbsp oil from sun dried tomatoes jar (Note 1)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine (sub chicken broth)
3/4 cup (185 ml) chicken broth/stock, low sodium
3/4 cup (185 ml) thickened heavy cream
1/3 cup (30g) parmesan, very finely shredded (Note 2)
2 tsp Dijon mustard (Note 3)
1 cup basil leaves, packed (optional)
1. Breast: Cut chicken in half horizontally to form 2 thin steaks.
2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil from sun dried tomato jar in a large skillet over high heat.
3. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides - 6 minutes total for thigh or 4 minutes for breast. Remove onto a plate, keep warm.
4. Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds until light golden.
5. Add wine. Bring to simmer and scrape the bottom of the skillet to mix all the brown bits into the wine.
6. Let the wine simmer for 1 minute or so until the smell of alcohol is gone which means it has evaporated.
7. Mix in mustard, then add the chicken broth, cream, parmesan and sun dried tomatoes.
8. Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Stir regularly to dissolve parmesan cheese.
9. Taste sauce and add more salt and pepper if needed.
10. Stir through basil leaves, and then return chicken into pan. Spoon sauce over and simmer 1 minute.
11. Serve immediately! Great served over mashed potato, *Creamy Mashed Cauliflower or pasta. Or serve with bread on the side to mop up sauce!
Notes: 1. Sun Dried Tomatoes - I use the sun dried tomatoes that are marinated in olive oil, rather than the dried ones without oil. It comes in a jar and you can get it over the counter at delis too. I like using the oil to cook with for extra sun dried tomato flavour!
2. Parmesan - must use either parmesan that's finely grated you (pack the cup to measure) OR store bought finely shredded that looks like thin batons. Do NOT use sand-like store bought parmesan, it doesn't melt.
3. Mustard - The mustard is optional. I add it because it thickens the sauce slightly and also adds a touch of acidity to cut through the creaminess.
Serving: 212gCalories: 529kcal (26%)Carbohydrates: 11g (4%)Protein: 42g (84%)Fat: 33g (51%)SaturatedFat: 14g (88%)Cholesterol: 247mg (82%)Sodium: 831mg (36%)Potassium: 1043mg (30%)Fiber: 2g (8%)Sugar: 6g (7%)Vitamin A: 1224IU (24%)Vitamin C: 10mg (12%)Calcium: 171mg (17%)Iron: 3mg (17%)http://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-with-creamy-sun-dried-tomato-sauce/Crock Pot Beef Tips and Gravy
Author: Brandie @ The Country Cook
1 1/2 lbs beef chuck roast
1 1/2 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning, optional
1 package of dry onion soup mix
1 (10.5 oz) can of cream of mushroom soup (lower sodium)
1 (14 oz) can of beef broth (low sodium)
1. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine dry onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup and beef broth. Whisk to combine (don't worry if there are lumps, they will come out as it cooks).
2. Cut beef into about 1 1/2-inch cubes.
3. Sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on beef.
4. Add meat to crock pot and give it all a good stir.
5. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. You can serve this up just as it is when it is ready or you can easily thicken up the gravy part.
6. In a medium pot, melt two tablespoons of butter.
7. Once it is melted, add in about 3 heaping tablespoons of flour.
8. Whisk it together until smooth.
9. Then pour in 2 cups of the beef broth mixture into the butter/flour mixture.
10. Whisk it again until smooth, then bring the heat up to high (while whisking briskly the whole time.) It should quickly begin to thicken.
11. Once it gets to your desired thickness, take it off the heat and pour it back into your crock pot.
12. Then add the beef tips back in and stir well.
13. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.http://www.thecountrycook.net/slow-cooker-beef-tips-with-gravy/?utm_source=The+Country+Cook%2C+LLC&utm_campaign=82707cba40-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_08_11_02_20&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b1e30a0783-82707cba40-6373677&ct=t
(EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_8_11_2019_10_34)&mc_cid=82707cba40&mc_eid=e4181d5601Everyday Turmeric Smoothie
Author: Alisa Fleming
Serves: 1 serving
1 frozen ripe banana, broken into chunks (can sub ¾ cup frozen mango chunks)
½ to 1 cup dairy-free unsweetened coconut milk beverage (I use So Delicious)
2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (I use alcohol-free)
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch black pepper
3 to 5 drops pure stevia or your favorite sweetener, to taste
1. Place the frozen fruit, ½ cup milk beverage, coconut milk, vanilla (to taste), turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and pepper in your blender and puree until smooth.
2. Blend in sweetener, to taste, and more milk beverage to thin, if desired.http://www.godairyfree.org/recipes/turmeric-smoothiePEA SALAD
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
4 cups frozen peas
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
6 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed
1/2 small red onion, peeled and sliced thin
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the peas, bacon, cheese, red onion and parsley. Stir to combine.
3. Add the dressing and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.http://www.recipegirl.com/pea-salad/