Knitting Paradise® - Knitting and Crochet Forum
Home | Knitting Digest | Active Topics | Newest Pictures | Search | Login | Register | Help
What are these?
If you would like to post a reply, then please login (if you already have an account) or register (if you don't).
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 next>>
May 22, 2012 08:55:34   #
The top one is definitely a tracing wheel. The bottom photo looks exactly like the double pointed needles I got from my grandmother. I haven't used any of them yet but they look the same.
May 22, 2012 09:10:53   #
The bottom ones are lace knitting needles, if my eyes are
seeing them correct. You would knit with them on lace yarn. It made lovely lace for trims on collars and etc.
May 22, 2012 09:14:23   #
I agree, my mother had both of these items & I now have them. I've never used them but I have them! I can't imagine knitting with the old DPNs but my both my mother & my grandmother did.
missvix61 wrote:
Yep, top one most definitely a tracing wheel and I agree the bottom pic looks like old DPNs.
May 22, 2012 09:15:10   #
The bottom ones look like "drawing in" tools. They are used in a mill for making patterns in material.
May 22, 2012 09:40:43   #
Hi, tatting is done with a shuttle or needles. I have done both, it is called needle tatting.
May 22, 2012 09:51:38   #
the first picture I agree is a tracing wheel for marking patterns. The tracing paper was much heavier that the tracing paper you are imagining it to be. The paper was coated with a heavy wax like substance that would wash out. It came in colors like white, red, yellow, and various shads of blue.
May 22, 2012 09:53:28   #
Well here is another the top one is a tracing wheel used for sewing. I still have one and the tracing paper to go with it.
May 22, 2012 09:53:29   #
The top one is a tracing wheel used to trace a pattern onto paper so you retain your master pattern intact. They can still be purchased today. I believe the bottom one is used in paper crafts either for punching designs as somone else suggested and also in paper quilling (or paper filligree) for rolling thin strips of paper into designs.
May 22, 2012 10:04:59   #
ompuff wrote:
Sine wrote:
The top one is called a tracing wheel and it is used for sewing. It is used for tracing your pattern markings onto your material. I haven't sewn in years but you used to buy tracing paper (dressmaker's carbon paper), put it between you pattern and your material. You ran that tool around the pattern for darts, buttonholes, etc.
There were (are?) three kinds: the saw-tooth with short, stubby teeth used for medium weight fabrics; the needle point with longer needle-like points for heavy fabrics; and the smooth-edge (un-serrated) used for fine or lightweight fabrics or leatyher, suedes or vinyl.
If the bottom ones had a tiny hook in one end, I would say they were lei needles (used to string Hawaiian leis), but it doesn't look like they do.
The top one is called a tracing wheel and it is us... (show quote)

Tracing wheel is correct for the top item. And, I think the others are a couple sets of DPNs (double point needles) with their wooden case. Really look a lot like some my gr-mother had when I was a child. In fact I learned to knit on a pair--she called them 'stocking needles' if memory serves
. :)
quote=Sine The top one is called a tracing wheel ... (show quote)

Your right I still have one or two of the dpn from my grandmother she would sit and watch tv and knit socks for the family. I love watching her as she never look down at her knitting. I ask her once how she did it and she told me practice. She taught me how to knit when I was 7 but I did'nt pick it up again till several years ago. And the tracing wheel I still have one.
May 22, 2012 10:15:30   #
If the needles have holes on the ends, they could have been used for needle tatting. But I'm a little stumped by the fact they have screw type threading on the ends? You can't knit tat or sew if these needles have screw threading on both ends
May 22, 2012 10:18:20   #
Jean Keith
gcoop hit it on the head for both counts.
May 22, 2012 10:23:15   #
Tracing Wheel for sewing Patterns at the top and the others look like double ended Sock Needles.
May 22, 2012 10:27:57   #
cgcharles wrote:
A friend of my husbands was cleaning out his deceased mother's home. He sent me all her craft stash and these were included. I have no idea what they are. The roller thing appears to be home made. I thought it might be for marking darts but the roller is too wide. The long double point needles things are very small diameter and came in a wooden holder. Any ideas?

If the teeth on the tracing wheel are very sharp it could be used as a tool for transferring embroidery designs to a dark fabric. You traced over the design with wheel then sprinkled a white powder (called "pounce") on the paper, removed the paper and there was your design caught in the fibers and showing the design. I suspect this was a real frustrating and fussy process!

The needles look like weaver's needles, 5-6" long with an eye. Still sold today by Lacis. Really useful still for repairing errors in knitting, inserting lifelines, you will find them very helpful.
May 22, 2012 10:46:24   #
Ditto. Bottom pic are DPNs, probably size 0. I have some in their wooden holder inherited from an aunt, probably close to 100 years old.
missvix61 wrote:
Yep, top one most definitely a tracing wheel and I agree the bottom pic looks like old DPNs.
May 22, 2012 10:46:42   #
cgcharles wrote:
The teeth on the tracing wheel would make awfully big holes in any tracing paper.

Dressmaker's tracing paper is quite a bit heavier than regular tracing paper. It's not a carbon paper, it has more of a waxy finish. I learned to sew it and I think, still have a pack around here. I used it till I started using thread to mark darts etc.
Page: <<prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 next>>
Home | Latest Digest | Back to Top | All Sections
Contact us | Privacy policy | Terms of use | Copyright - Forum
Copyright 2004-2016 Knitting Paradise, Inc.