Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By mid-October I want to have knitted 10-20 chemo caps (easy) with coordinating lapghans (also easy, but takes more time than I may have). Anyone know a pretty but very fast lapghan pattern? I was planning to just duplicate the stitch used in the cap and make a rectangle. I have thought about doubling the yarn but really don't want the bulk in Southern California. Any ideas?

Needless to say, I just started this project last weekend... and I work fulltime.

Soft deadline October 18. Must be done by October 31.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
:shock: :shock: oh my, well you could always do corner to corner with a yarnover in the pattern,
ie: increase the normal way
then do. k1, k2tog, yo, k1.
either do this both sides for an intersting change or purl on row then pattern the next..
i suggest using big needles for lapghans it will make them faster to do.
2DogMom said:
By mid-October I want to have knitted 10-20 chemo caps (easy) with coordinating lapghans (also easy, but takes more time than I may have). Anyone know a pretty but very fast lapghan pattern? I was planning to just duplicate the stitch used in the cap and make a rectangle. I have thought about doubling the yarn but really don't want the bulk in Southern California. Any ideas?

Needless to say, I just started this project last weekend... and I work fulltime.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Since time is of the essence here, why not just make garter stitch rectangles on a larger needles and let the color of the yarn speak for itself....I don't know what the stitch pattern in your caps is..that would be lovely to repeat it in the lapgan..but it might take longer to do...please believe me when I say the recipients of your generous gift will LOVE whatever you choose to do..
julie

·
Registered
20,964 Posts
Why don't you knit the hats and get coordinating fleece and crochet a simple edge around it.
The fleece afghans are super soft. Project Linus has a skip stitch blade for your rotary cutter to poke the holes around the edge. Check youtube: Crochet edge blanket.

I am always racing the clock, too.
will save you a lot of time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was looking at lapghan's on Ravelry last night and they had patterns for these knit onHUGE needles.......makes a very loose stitched blanket, nearly like a string vest, but must knit up really quickly and perfect for Californian weather........

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been doing charity knitting for years. DH is more understandable about stash if it seems to be moving and not just moving in. Anyway, I've found a couple of basic hat patterns that I can go to for a quick knit. I can also add a brim or ruffle, more or less edging, for variety.

For my lapghans or baby blankets I've gone to a variety of geometrics or simple YO lace designs. I can't imagine producing that many caps and squares in the next 6 weeks without using a knitting machine and I no longer work. I need to know your secret.

For the geometric pattern, I use a variation on a theme. Squares that are 3x3, 4x4, 5x5. Basket weave, diamonds, alternating stripes of K and P but wide enough so they act like stripes not ribbing. Look at dishcloth patterns and you can get some terrific ideas. The $$$ stores, Tuesday morning, Big lots, Dollar tree, and others all set aside their yarns that customers have messed up and sell them to me for really cheap. I use these, like the eyelash, as part of the brim, the edging, etc. worked into the design. It gives it a more designer look. It can tie them together if the patterns don't match.

I'm still amazed at that much quantity and working FT. Hope this helps. My favorite and most popular cap is a variation on a preemie cap called a petal hat. When trying to match the blanket, I was making mistakes and ripping, so went to the squares with the garter edges.

Hope this helps. Now, what designs and patterns have you been using?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LEE1313 said:
Why don't you knit the hats and get coordinating fleece and crochet a simple edge around it.
The fleece afghans are super soft. Project Linus has a skip stitch blade for your rotary cutter to poke the holes around the edge. Check youtube: Crochet edge blanket.

I am always racing the clock, too.
will save you a lot of time.
Great idea! I will start with knitting and if I'm in a crunch will make fleece.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Luv2knit2 said:
I've been doing charity knitting for years. DH is more understandable about stash if it seems to be moving and not just moving in. Anyway, I've found a couple of basic hat patterns that I can go to for a quick knit. I can also add a brim or ruffle, more or less edging, for variety.

For my lapghans or baby blankets I've gone to a variety of geometrics or simple YO lace designs. I can't imagine producing that many caps and squares in the next 6 weeks without using a knitting machine and I no longer work. I need to know your secret.

For the geometric pattern, I use a variation on a theme. Squares that are 3x3, 4x4, 5x5. Basket weave, diamonds, alternating stripes of K and P but wide enough so they act like stripes not ribbing. Look at dishcloth patterns and you can get some terrific ideas. The $$$ stores, Tuesday morning, Big lots, Dollar tree, and others all set aside their yarns that customers have messed up and sell them to me for really cheap. I use these, like the eyelash, as part of the brim, the edging, etc. worked into the design. It gives it a more designer look. It can tie them together if the patterns don't match.

I'm still amazed at that much quantity and working FT. Hope this helps. My favorite and most popular cap is a variation on a preemie cap called a petal hat. When trying to match the blanket, I was making mistakes and ripping, so went to the squares with the garter edges.

Hope this helps. Now, what designs and patterns have you been using?
All great suggestions, thanks. I got some pounds of love from Michael's last weekend for the blankets so can probably make three. I just learned about Tuesday Morning selling yarn from another post and will go this weekend. My friend has also had great luck with thrift shops for yarn.
I have downloaded several patterns including the no hair day hat which is made of funfur but so far have made two variations of Ann's Cap (Ravelry) which is lovely with a cute little flower blossom to dress it up. I'm typing this on my tablet so linking is complicated but when I'm back on my Mac will link to the pattern.
I knit on work breaks and in front of the tv at night and when I'm on vacation really get some hours in...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MOK said:
I was looking at lapghan's on Ravelry last night and they had patterns for these knit onHUGE needles.......makes a very loose stitched blanket, nearly like a string vest, but must knit up really quickly and perfect for Californian weather........
Good idea!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
2DogMom said:

If you are a machine knitter, you can knit up one in an evening. :?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Go to www.lionbrand.com. They have size 50 needles, called SPEED STIX, and two baby blanket patterns knit with 4 strands of #5 weight yarn together. The patterns are FREE, they are about right for a lapghan, and quick to knit. And you can vary the colors.

Pattern #890978 AD Wee Warmth Baby BLanket. 4 balls of yarn, two of one color, and one each of two other colors.

Pattern #50561-2 4 hour Bias Baby Afghan. 4 Balls in 4 different colors of #5 weight yarn. I used another brand of yarn as I don't like Homespun, and it came out great. It took me a bit more than 4 hours, but I am a slow knitter due to arthriti,carpal tunnel, and numbness in my hands.

They are fast to knit.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dowager said:
Go to www.lionbrand.com. They have size 50 needles, called SPEED STIX, and two baby blanket patterns knit with 4 strands of #5 weight yarn together. The patterns are FREE, they are about right for a lapghan, and quick to knit. And you can vary the colors.

Pattern #890978 AD Wee Warmth Baby BLanket. 4 balls of yarn, two of one color, and one each of two other colors.

Pattern #50561-2 4 hour Bias Baby Afghan. 4 Balls in 4 different colors of #5 weight yarn. I used another brand of yarn as I don't like Homespun, and it came out great. It took me a bit more than 4 hours, but I am a slow knitter due to arthriti,carpal tunnel, and numbness in my hands.

They are fast to knit.
Awesome! Thank you!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom