Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I've mastered the 10 stitch pattern and am thinking of making an afghan for my teenage grandson but can't decide between 10 stitch and the log cabin pattern. It would be 'boy' colours and wonder if anyone who has made these afghans can offer some advice. Also with the 10 stitch pattern do you use the different colours randomly or change between corners.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I haven't made either, but the log cabin could look very masculine. Or the 10 stitch could too! Wasn't much help on choice but good luck with your choice and I look forward to seeing the post of your grandson's finished afghan!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jessica Jean, Thanks for the link to the log cabin pattern - certainly interesting to have the crochet joining idea. Will have to give this a 'dummy run' with some scrap yarn to see how I go.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'm about 3/4 done with a log cabin blanket for my adult son. It certainly is masculine enough and rather quick and easy to knit. Not sure I seamed it exactly right (first time I've picked up stitches and my first afghan/blanket, but he'll never know will he?

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
I love all the ten-stitch patterns, but I also love this log cabin method.

Can you tell that I dislike sewing my knitting?!;)
I checked out her website and do like her log cabin method. However, I'm confused about her previous paragraph where she refers to her working method of drawing up a foot long loop and then knitting 2 rows. I couldn't find any other reference to this on her site and was wondering if you were familiar with it and could explain it purpose. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,351 Posts
Bea 465 said:
Jessica-Jean said:
I love all the ten-stitch patterns, but I also love this log cabin method.

Can you tell that I dislike sewing my knitting?!;)
I checked out her website and do like her log cabin method. However, I'm confused about her previous paragraph where she refers to her working method of drawing up a foot long loop and then knitting 2 rows. I couldn't find any other reference to this on her site and was wondering if you were familiar with it and could explain it purpose. Thanks!
Purpose? NO SEWING!
How? Well, you pull up a very long loop of yarn through the next stitch on the side you're attaching to, knit away from that edge and then back to it. Then you pull the ball-end of the yarn to collapse the rest of that loop and pull up another in the next stitch. This way, every row is attached as you go.
It does make for a less portable project as it gets larger, but I prefer that to sewing a bazillion smaller pieces together. (I prefer anything to sewing!)

I think she or someone else has put that technique up on YouTube, but I can't find it now.

It does work best if you work a chain selvedge on every row. One way of making a chain selvedge is: slip first stitch purl-wise, pass yarn to back between needle tips .... and knit the last stitch.

Kim Salazar said:
First, in answer to a question about how to draw up a loop, I do a normal pick-up one into one chain selvage (or bind off, or cast on) stitch, then I grab it and pull more yarn through, distending the newly made stitch until I’ve pulled a foot or more of yarn through. Once I’ve got the giant loop, I use it to knit the next two rows. When I’ve finished the two rows I grab the strand leading back to the ball and give it a firm tug to pull any left-over yarn back out of the loop, and to snick the newly knit piece up closely to the existing work. Here you see the loop being pulled through prior to knitting with it:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Thanks Jessica Jean. I was writing to say I still didn't understand, but then I noticed the fold in the blanket and realized she was knitting a row on the right needle back and forth to the center, pulling the yarn snug, and then picking up a new stitch to the left of the last stitch and repeating the process. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,351 Posts
Bea 465 said:
Thanks Jessica Jean. I was writing to say I still didn't understand, but then I noticed the fold in the blanket and realized she was knitting a row on the right needle back and forth to the center, pulling the yarn snug, and then picking up a new stitch to the left of the last stitch and repeating the process. Thanks!
:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom