Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone knit with this yet? I saw it in a store here in Denver and its wonderful! If you made a stole pattern out of it, you can say you own a mink stole! Right? LOL. Its gorgeous.

Any tips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jealous that you live in NJ! I was born and raised in Bergen County, Ridgewood. I now live in Denver, near perfect weather but the people are not my cup of tea, I miss New Jerseyites!!! Send me "REAL" tomatoes!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
denvervet said:
Jealous that you live in NJ! I was born and raised in Bergen County, Ridgewood. I now live in Denver, near perfect weather but the people are not my cup of tea, I miss New Jerseyites!!! Send me "REAL" tomatoes!!!!!!
hahaha, you got that right...nothing like a good Jersey tomato, I so look forward to warm weather just to have them in my house....

I grew up in Essex County, then moved to Monmouth County (Spring Lake) to raise my family. I am now in Budd Lake (Morris County)....only thing about Jersey that I don't like is the darn traffic...LOL.....Nice to meet you!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,991 Posts
I haven't seen this yarn - and the ones I find online are... well, to be honest, somehow above my price range, but that's not even the biggest problem for me - I know I would never get a mink coat, not even if I'm swimming in money, it wouldn't feel right to kill a mink for it (note: I'm not criticizing people who do own mink coats. It's just something I wouldn't do - but I'm far past my "trying to change the world" rebel days. I now let everyone have his/her own opinion, haha. Getting older, I guess). But how is mink yarn produced? Minks do need their coat and undercoat, for the proper water insulation... how does one shear a mink? I hope they aren't hurting the animals.... *thinking emotikon*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
HandyFamily said:
I haven't seen this yarn - and the ones I find online are... well, to be honest, somehow above my price range, but that's not even the biggest problem for me - I know I would never get a mink coat, not even if I'm swimming in money, it wouldn't feel right to kill a mink for it (note: I'm not criticizing people who do own mink coats. It's just something I wouldn't do - but I'm far past my "trying to change the world" rebel days. I now let everyone have his/her own opinion, haha. Getting older, I guess). But how is mink yarn produced? Minks do need their coat and undercoat, for the proper water insulation... how does one shear a mink? I hope they aren't hurting the animals.... *thinking emotikon*
Oh I wouldn't buy it....LOL, it's too expensive and I have no use for it, but the feel is stunning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,991 Posts
arlenecc said:
This yarn looks and feels like mink. Knit it for my Granddaughter's grad.It is super slippery!
I think its called Bella by RedHeart but don't have the label.
It is an acrylic and I had washed it so the fur wasn't brushed enough.
It looks absolutely stunning! Like... like real - but without killing the little rascal, I love it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
HandyFamily said:
I haven't seen this yarn - and the ones I find online are... well, to be honest, somehow above my price range, but that's not even the biggest problem for me - I know I would never get a mink coat, not even if I'm swimming in money, it wouldn't feel right to kill a mink for it (note: I'm not criticizing people who do own mink coats. It's just something I wouldn't do - but I'm far past my "trying to change the world" rebel days. I now let everyone have his/her own opinion, haha. Getting older, I guess). But how is mink yarn produced? Minks do need their coat and undercoat, for the proper water insulation... how does one shear a mink? I hope they aren't hurting the animals.... *thinking emotikon*
I believe that they brush out the minks twice a year at shedding time, it's definitely not sheared.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,854 Posts
arlenecc said:
This yarn looks and feels like mink. Knit it for my Granddaughter's grad.It is super slippery!
I think its called Bella by RedHeart but don't have the label.
It is an acrylic and I had washed it so the fur wasn't brushed enough.
This is really pretty. Hope Michaels or Joanns carries it soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,991 Posts
Teriwm said:
I believe that they brush out the minks twice a year at shedding time, it's definitely not sheared.
Hahaha, I would have never thought of brushing them at the right time as a possible way of getting some flees - not very smart of me, right, shedding a mink... :mrgreen: Sometimes I do give out I'm naturally blond... :mrgreen:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,778 Posts
jtreuter... I love your scarf. You do stunning work! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed working with it.

I purchased a couple of skeins (one for me and one for a friend as a gift) from my LYS and I cannot WAIT to use it. It actually costs LESS than some of the other lace weight yarns I was looking at!

WEBS carries the same brand of mink yarn I purchased. It is $23.00 for 330 yards. THAT is less than the baby alpaca I purchased recently!

http://www.yarn.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/D1F6A4C9-BC25-4E89-955B-48AD09E5F517/productID/FF3002C2-0A60-4E37-8C31-6E5D55518318/

Mink YARN looks nothing like that furry-type novelty yarn in the photo above. (That, of course is a pretty piece for your GD.. I am sure she loves it... perfect for a young, funky lady!) Mink yarn looks like fine, luxury yarn and feels like heaven. For only $23.00 we can make a beautiful luxury scarf, or shawlette and... like denvervet says... they will have their very own mink stole!

No minks were harmed to make your yarn and it is VERY affordable.
 

Attachments

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,778 Posts
tamarque said:
Not a cheap yarn, but definitely within a moderate range price. Lots of yardage for the price.

What size needle is recommended for this Amy?
It is a fingering weight yarn and recommended needle is 3-4US. Now I've gone and taken it out of it's package and need to pet it some more!

I think the scarf above is going to cause me to wind this up and start knitting with it!
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom