Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a small set of Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles. Usually work with Magic Loop (Toe up Two at a Time) and a 40" circular. Had a problem and had to Tink back a few rows on one sock... Rather than Tinking both socks... took that one sock onto my HiyaHiya 16" circular (needle itself is only 4" ... which I find a bit uncomfortable, but manageable) YIKES... it was terrible to work with the next time I had to tink ... tried the 24" cable and it was ever so much easier to use. That darn lacy pattern may never get finished... have to tink again on one of those socks.
But I will never choose to knit one at a time on a small circular.
Jane

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SAMkewel said:
This is interesting feedback. I'm about to embark on sock making and have been debating which of the many methods to debut with. My underlying preference would be two at a time, so I may now just leap in with Magic Loop right from the get-go.
I would strongly recommend using a pattern that calls for either Worsted or DK weight yarn and at least a size 5 needle. My starter pattern was Toe Up Raggi Sock (link: http://olivemermaids.blogspot.com/2010/02/toe-up-raggi-socks.html ) this is a free pattern, using Worsted or DK weight and size 5 needle. I use what I learned from this pattern to knit all my socks today... changing size yarn and needle (sock weight yarn and usually size 2 needle) and design... using different sock heels ... and with toe up it is so easy to make sure you get the right size ...trying on as I increase for the toe until I have enough stitches to fit "just right".
Good luck... you just might become sock addicted as I have ... so be careful.
Jane

·
Registered
23,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Leannsmarie said:
For socks, I've tried DPNs for cuff down (which I can do no problem) Magic Loop for toe-up (so far, so good) but my next attempt is cuff down on twelve (12) inch circulars.

I am curious. Why did you try to use sixteen (16) inch circulars?
That length of needle is way too long to make socks successfully with. Personally, I would use sixteen inch long needles for hats but not socks.
16 was the smallest size I had... and only needed to make a correction on one sock while working two at a time using the MagicLoop technique... easier to just tink back on one sock rather than both. In my opinion smaller is NOT better ... sorry for yelling!
Jane

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom