Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to research other posts about the wonderful hat. I havent knitted one in about 4 or 5 years and haven’t made one this small. Im trying to make one for my 2+1/2 year old granddaughter. Where Im running into trouble is understanding the instructions for decreasing the top part of the hat. For size B- K8 K2T / pln all. (Something?) 12. Do I decrease one round then knit one round until there are 12 stitches left? I€™m also confused about size C - K8 K2T/ pln all , 7tog. At what round in both sizes would I stop the plain knit round between the decrease rounds?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,986 Posts
You decrease all around on the decrease rows, having one less between k2tog each decrease row. When you get down to 7 sts, no more decreases, cut yarn leaving a long tail, thread your yarn needle and run it through those 7 sts, pull up and secure off inside the hat. If there are not exactly 7 sts it doesn't matter, after k2 tog around you will then end. I am sure when you get to that part you will remember what to do.

·
Registered
11,331 Posts
grandmann said:
:sm24: :sm24:
I'm not sure but I think this pattern fits more of a toddler age 2 or so? I wrote the notes for a small child size BUT, I don't have a child to try it on. In theory it should fit. I'm not a designer so my notes are generally just for me. Hope they help you though. These are PDF files. Good luck! Jeri

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I saved a post a year or two ago that I am too tired to look for but it all had to do with needle size and yarn type. Instructions remained the same. I knitted an 1898 for my granddaughter using that. I'll have to see if I can find that to post link. We just had her third birthday tonight and I am pooped... May be someone will remember that post before I find it.

·
Registered
11,331 Posts
Christiane said:
I saved a post a year or two ago that I am too tired to look for but it all had to do with needle size and yarn type. Instructions remained the same. I knitted an 1898 for my granddaughter using that. I'll have to see if I can find that to post link. We just had her third birthday tonight and I am pooped... May be someone will remember that post before I find it.
I think you're referring to the Helen Hawkins designs where you just change the size of needles and yarn but use all the same stitch counts to make the hat. Works great, I should have attached it earlier. Here's the PDF of her work:

Attachments

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
When I made a smaller hat I just used the regular pattern but thinner yarns and needles......it worked out well as I knew it would fit 1 of my grandsons I will have to make a few new ones for our next winter as they are such great popular hats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom