Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Go to Ravelry. You can enter the yarn type (worsted, DK, etc) and yardage and it will show you patterns that would work....
That could be a starting point to give you ideas. Did she give it to you for you to make something for her? If so, ask her what she wants and about adding other colors.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I might find some coordinating shade - like grey or cream, similar yarn, not necessarily identical, and possibly put a strip of
the black in between the other shade (on each end), or some combination of knitting two colors together some, and then the
black alone some, to extend your quantity. Everyone is right, you don't have enough to do much - maybe a small hat, but that
is sort of iffy, too. You could always start the hat at the brim and when you run out of black, make the top a different shade! Good luck.

·
Registered
23,298 Posts
abby8319 said:
Given to me by neighbor, suggesting she LOVES black. What to knit? Use with another color to make it
easier to knit? Any suggestions much appreciated.
What ever you choose to knit... make sure you work in the brightest light possible. Black is not easy to work ... but can be done.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
You don't specify the type of yarn - is it a worsted (medium), DK (light), sport (a bit lighter than sport)? What size needle did you start with? 36 stitches seems like quite a lot - that would be about 10 - 12" wide if it was me knitting a worsted with size 7 or 8 needles - not a narrow scarf at all. I recommend you swatching with a scrap yarn that is approximately the same size as the mohair/acrylic yarn and various needles . Also, try using a larger size needle to give you a lacy effect and a needle in a light color maybe make it a little easier to see your work. Put a white towel or cloth on your lap for visibilities sake.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just finished making a scarf that would work. Use size 15, 17 or even 19 needles. Provisional cast on. Garter stitch until you almost run out of yarn. Finish off both ends the same. Do a few rows with any number of stitches, rip, measure to determine how wide to make it for best usage of your yarn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frogged the scarf I started, it felt terrible on my skin and horrible to knit with. The mohair constantly
caught on each stitch. I`ve decided to buy some good black yarn to make her a scarf that will feel
good and hope she won`t buy me any more yarn at second hand stores. Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. I`ll let you know when I finally make her scarf.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom