Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked on You Tube and in all my knitting books to try and find out how to do these stitches. I am making an Aran poncho and the directions read as follows: "Insert right needle as if to kit into the back bar of the st. below and k1, then knit the actual stitch on the needle; lift the 1st st hyou knitted on the right needle over the second st. and off as if you were binding off." I tried it and it doesn't look right.

RRK: "Insert right needle as if to knit into the back 2 bars of the st. below and K1, then knit the actual stitch on the needle". . . the directions are the same as above.
I hope someone can help me. Otherwise, no poncho. I think you can access a picture of the stitch sent to me by the designer below.

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&id=976187&part=2

· Registered
4,092 Posts
ps802 said:
From looking at the picture it looks like a twisted stitch using 2 sets, if that makes any sense.
Hmmmm that's what I thought from seeing the image, except I've never used the st back from below - just into the 2nd st then the first.
This may actually pull that elongated st a bit more snugly and the twist a little tighter, which could be what the designer was going for w/the yarn she chose.

· Registered
20,409 Posts
The middle top square in the right hand picture linked above? Is this stitch worked on a stockinette background? I'd like to see a few rows of the pattern. I can't figure out what "back 2 bars of the st. below" means. Have you tried emailing or calling the Club people for help?

On Ravelry I could see it a little better. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/poncho-of-the-month

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have spoken to them several times. I can't wrap my head around "the bar below". When I work the row following the instructions, I end up with 2 Unworked stitches on the left hand needle. I am not new to knitting, but I have never seen instructions like this before. Also, I am a visual learner. If I see it I can do it.

· Registered
20,409 Posts
ps802 said:
I have spoken to them several times. I can't wrap my head around "the bar below". When I work the row following the instructions, I end up with 2 Unworked stitches on the left hand needle. I am not new to knitting, but I have never seen instructions like this before. Also, I am a visual learner. If I see it I can do it.
The back bar of the stitch below is the purl bump on a knit on the RS, I think. Two bars I can't find unless it actually involves two stitches below, 2nd and 3rd. There are others doing the same project I think on Ravelry. Maybe one of them can help you. I just don't understand back bars, plural. It does say to pass one stitch over the other. That's all I can think of that would affect the stitch count. Best of luck to you figuring this out. If I ever could see a few rows of the pattern I'd try it again.

· Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GrumpyGramma said:
The back bar of the stitch below is the purl bump on a knit on the RS, I think. Two bars I can't find unless it actually involves two stitches below, 2nd and 3rd. There are others doing the same project I think on Ravelry. Maybe one of them can help you. I just don't understand back bars, plural. It does say to pass one stitch over the other. That's all I can think of that would affect the stitch count. Best of luck to you figuring this out. If I ever could see a few rows of the pattern I'd try it again.
Here are the first 7 rows of the pattern. I hope you can download the rows.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom