Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,381 Posts
A waste of yarn is what's been sitting in someone's attic for years and brings no joy or smiles to anyone's faces. Some might think that it is a waste of soil to plant flowers in the dirt when one could plant vegetables to feed people. This idea that everything has to be utilitarian doesn't wash with me. The joy of first seeing yarn bombings and then the memory of it is very useful. It may just make someone's day. I've made many "useful" items for family members and have never seen any of them used, not even in a photograph to pretend they use it. That's a waste of yarn. Yarn bombings make lots of people happy. That should be reason enough.

·
Registered
628 Posts
knovice knitter said:
A waste of yarn is what's been sitting in someone's attic for years and brings no joy or smiles to anyone's faces. Some might think that it is a waste of soil to plant flowers in the dirt when one could plant vegetables to feed people. This idea that everything has to be utilitarian doesn't wash with me. The joy of first seeing yarn bombings and then the memory of it is very useful. It may just make someone's day. I've made many "useful" items for family members and have never seen any of them used, not even in a photograph to pretend they use it. That's a waste of yarn. Yarn bombings make lots of people happy. That should be reason enough.
Thank you.

·
Registered
24,416 Posts
knovice knitter said:
All I know is I derive joy from seeing random "unnecessary" pieces of a person's creative life.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was involved in a yarn bombing knit in last year while on holiday. Those of us who could knit were there to encourage and show those who wished to learn how to knit even if it produced just a couple of inches. The yarn and needles were provided by the local knitting group from their own stashes and donated materials following an appeal. I didn't see the finished 'bombing' as I had to return home but we had a really fun afternoon knitting and chatting and making new friends :D There were lots of knitting on show that the local group had already made and the quality, colours and articles were exceptional. My favourites were the beanies for the round knobs on the railings, decorated with flowers, sheep, foxes and hounds, very imaginative and I certainly wouldn't count it a waste either of yarn or time as most of the articles could be recycled, after washing, to various charities.

·
Registered
404 Posts
knovice knitter said:
You go girl. Happy smiles are never a waste of anything!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thanks for sharing and I would love to be involved in something like this near to whe I live. Bringing smiles to people's faces, getting them interested and talking about it is enough, but as far as I can see after the yarn bombing has run its course, they take it down, clean the yarn and either remake it, or if in a useful form already just share it with those that need some help. How can that be a waste of yarn?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom