Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question. Can I knit socks using two strands of sock yarn at a time? Do other people do it? If so, what does it change? I'm not using a complicated pattern, just a ribbed top and stockinette.. :oops:

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found an old pattern someone posted on an internet site in 1995. Looks like just the thing I need.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm casting on right now.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Depends on the thickness of the sock yarn,if it is really fine, two strands would make up sport weight. I had to use two strands of alpaca that I had to get the gauge for the socks I wanted to make, you have to watch so you get both strands when you knit and keep a crochet hook handy to pick up the extra loops you missed.
Carol J.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Carol J. said:
Depends on the thickness of the sock yarn,if it is really fine, two strands would make up sport weight. I had to use two strands of alpaca that I had to get the gauge for the socks I wanted to make, you have to watch so you get both strands when you knit and keep a crochet hook handy to pick up the extra loops you missed.
Carol J.
Thanks. It's a fine yarn, which is why I wondered about using 2 strands. I did my cast on and 2 rows. It's looking pretty good.
I used 2 different colors of the exact same type yarn. I think that will help keep me from dropping stitches.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The only issue I see would be having socks too thick to fit into your shoes. I don't wear shoes. Just flip flops and slides so that isn't much of an issue for me. Sounds like your yarn in fine enough to avoid that problem.
happy knitting

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
If you are using 2 strands to make the socks wear longer it might be easier just to buy the heel reinforcement thread - I use it and it keeps the heels and toes from wearing out.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Carol J. said:
Carol J.
Oooo....alpaca socks sound so warm and cozy!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
BobnDejasMom said:
Stupid question. Can I knit socks using two strands of sock yarn at a time? Do other people do it? If so, what does it change? I'm not using a complicated pattern, just a ribbed top and stockinette.. :oops:
Just don't forget to make a swatch to check your gauge so you don't end up with socks too large! LOL!! :)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ptober said:
If you are using 2 strands to make the socks wear longer it might be easier just to buy the heel reinforcement thread - I use it and it keeps the heels and toes from wearing out.
Honestly I wanted to use 2 strands because I don't like to knit with thin yarn.
I did check my guage and have knit with 2 strands of thicker yarn a lot before.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. You are sweeties.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yipeeee. It worked fine. I finally finished the first sock, I love it. It fits super and I love the colors. (It's a little darker than the photo.) I used 2 strands of Filatura Lanarota Easy Wool Double Knitting Weight, 76% Acrylic, 24% Wool from Smiley's.
I'm casting on the second sock. Thanks everyone, for your advise.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom