Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been about 2 weeks since my LK150 arrived and since then has been used for several projects. Only one completed this morning with the rest as WIP.

First up and a new thing for me was an attempt at a blanket for an expected GGD due in September. The intention was to follow a hand written pattern but it was not to be as the lace work in the pattern would have proved difficult (K2 tog, YO twice, K2 tog) on the knitter. I did try to work it on a tension square but it didn't look to go so went with the diamond pattern I worked out (now I know how to do a graph paper in Excel).

I finished the knitted blanket but need to add a crochet border to help prevent the side from curling; if it doesn't work out then Heather gets a new rug for her baby doll collection. Which way to transfer stitch was an issue so I decided on those left of centre to go left and right for right of centre. The next diamond I swapped it over

Next up is a pair of completed leg warmers (going up for sale) done in the colours of one of our state's (AFL) football teams

A WIP leg warmer made up from left over yarn; for a young girl as there wasn't enough for adult size. Will do the 2nd one and complete the pair over the weekend.

The tension swatch is for the next pair of leg warmers; It's only fair to make up a pair for our other football tem in our state. My sis suggested I use the team colours to see how they go.

After these are completed I'm on a trip to Perth to visit my sis so no knitting for about a month from the first weekend in September.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hi Alan , nice to see some of your work on your new KM . I had wondered how you were getting on- but did not want to ask or put pressure on you. Love the look of the blanket , it will be loved and treasured ,for sure.
Are you driving to Perth ( Nullarbor ?) or flying ? September is a good time to go, my DH and I are in Stoney Creek bush camp / Wilmington in September , so no knitting for me either.
Have fun and keep safe ,Ose (from Reynella-East / just off Panalatinga Rd.)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
You do like your handwork! Beautiful job! Glad you were able to get a new LK.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Macon said:
What is your opinion of the new machine compared to your old one?
I am interested in your opinion of the quality of your new machine too Alan.
Do you think it is as sturdy as the old one? There have been comments about some of the new steel machines not feeling as robust as the older versions and the new ones weigh less too.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Azzara said:
Do you think it is as sturdy as the old one? There have been comments about some of the new steel machines not feeling as robust as the older versions and the new ones weigh less too.
The new Silver Reed machines are definitely not the same as the old ones. Where screws were used on the beds, now they are riveted. When the rivets are loosened there is no way to tighten them. The steel being used in them is probably not the same. That may be why they are lighter. I have heard they don't take the wear as the old machines did. That goes for the Brother machines as well (those being made in China).

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okruger said:
Are you driving to Perth ( Nullarbor ?) or flying ? September is a good time to go, my DH and I are in Stoney Creek bush camp / Wilmington in September ,
We're driving; sitting in a plane for four hours is to boring; more fun riding over but dad wasn't to keen sitting on the back of the bike so taking his car.

Wilmington is just a ride/drive through place for us and quite green the last time we went through.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Macon said:
What is your opinion of the new machine compared to your old one?
Azzara said:
Do you think it is as sturdy as the old one?
Comparing a new one to a well used older one is a little hard so I'll go with what I've noticed while using it.

The bed looks identical and the quality is on par though the new light pink colour accent which I like does make it hard to read the needle numbers. Can't see any difference in the mast except for the metal triangle yarn guide is seems smaller; could just be a difference in the bend angles when it's made.

The main difference is the carriage but again it's only minor. As can be seen in the picture where the yarn feed goes. Now I have to make sure the yarn goes past the little white tab where before it would go to the correct location.

Being all new it's much easier to knit and I haven't yet had a needle not knit where on the old one I'd have to check every row. The leg warmers I make most of the time have the ribbing done on the 322 and then transferred to the LK150. The first knit row is harder to do on the new knitter and sometimes I need to remove the carriage and complete the row by hand.

Where I used to knit 8 ply acrylic at 6, 7 or even 8 on the cam dial I can easily use 5 and even 3 if I want to manually do a 1x1 rib

That about covers it.

I would have bought their generic Brother KH160/KR160 but I had to compromise between a new knitter and a car repair but after checking out the company website again I notice they have the Singer/Silver Reed SK840 as well but do I really need a new standard gauge knitter?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Love the blanket, and the way you changed direction on the diamonds. Enjoy your trip across the Nullarbor. Its a great drive, and I agree that driving across Australia is much better than flying. Looking forward to more pics of your knitting when you get home.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Very nice, there is so much that one can do on the LK150 should you choose. Seeing this blanket makes me want to get the machine back out and start in, but alas, it is still summer here and outdoors stuff need my attention.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all past and future comments.

The lace work isn't perfect as I did muck up a little. Mostly due to transfer direction error or the wrong needle transferred but I caught all that I saw after a row or two and fixed them. Not my first attempt at doing manual lace on a LK150 though the last major project was ages ago.

Not sure what I'm doing next but it won't be leg warmers unless the football ones I'm doing now get sold.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Great job with the lace, Alan. I'm sure it did take a lot of concentration. I'm not sure I'd be up to it these days.

The LK-150 is such a popular machine, I've always been puzzled by SR discontinuing the Fair Isle carriage, weaving accessory, and extension kit, and not putting out new accessories for it. As I was reading your descriptions, I thought it was too bad there was never a lace transfer carriage for it, though they probably would have discontinued production on that as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom