Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1311 Posts

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As all of us regular Tea Party goers are aware Sam is holidaying in Seattle for a couple of weeks. I volunteered to start us off while he is away. However there is no way that I am able to come up with the multiplicity of recipes that Sam gives us each week- I don't want to clutter my inbox to that extent!!!! I do have a few ideas I would like to share, however.
In recent weeks I have set myself the challenge of cooking for a young Korean Missionary who is dairy intolerant. One of the first things I tried was adapting my waffle recipe. I like waffles raised with yeast because one can still make a good waffle a few hours after first mixing the batch.
Waffles
8 oz wheat flour (I normally have only bread flour or wholemeal- I used the bread flour)
3 eggs
2 Tbspns oil (I used EV Olive oil)
20 fl oz rice milk (or soy, or almond milk) warmed till tepid (or cow's milk)
¼ tspn salt
½ tspn sugar
2 tspn active yeast
Whisk everything thoroughly- I use a medium large bowl, leave to prove for about 45 minutes.
Heat the waffle iron, and measure in the batter- I used my half cup measure- but this will vary with your iron.
Serve hot, with your favourite syrup, or savoury filling. We had these for lunch.
Home- made Almond Milk
To make 5 cups
¾ cup whole raw almonds
4 cups (filtered) water
8 dates soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes
1 pinch salt
(optional) 1 drop Vanilla Essence
Put all ingredients into a blender (a food processor or stick blender will work, but does not make it as creamy)
Blend for around 2 minutes or until creamy. Use as high a speed as possible. You want to end up with creamy milk not water and small pieces of almonds. Can be used straight away or you can store in fridge for about 5 days. It will need to be shaken after storage because it will separate.
Use as normal milk.
If you don't like the brown skins, you can use blanched almonds, or pour through a sieve or strainer.
To make it more creamy, use less water.

Vegan Sweetcorn Fritters
1 medium onion (grated)
2 cups frozen or canned whole kernel corn (I had only cream style so used that)
1 cup chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour known as Besan or Channa to Indians)
Up to ½ cup water
1 tspn salt
3 Tbspns Sweet Chilli Sauce (I had to omit that as I had none)
½ cup Coriander chopped fresh (Cilantro).
Method: I grated the onion into a medium sized bowl, added the corn, Channa, salt etc., then stirred in about a ¼ cup of water to get a fairly soft dropping consistency. Leave for about 20 minutes (in the fridge in summer). (Because I am not Vegan, and lacked the Coriander and Chilli I grated in some sharp Cheddar Cheese.)
Fry spoon's full in a little oil preferably in a non-stick frypan, press lightly to flatten. Cook for about 3 minutes each side till golden brown. I served them with my Tamarillo chutney I made about two years ago- it has matured nicely.
Goes well with a Salsa from tomato, avocado, red onion and coriander.

Tomorrow my cookery experiment will be dairy free
Amaretti Cookies
180g Almond meal
¾ cup caster sugar
1/3 cup plain flour
2 egg whites
½ tspn vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 170*C. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, until fully mixed.
Shape single tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on two baking trays lined with baking paper. Gently press each ball to flatten. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Cool completely before serving.

While I was thinking about what I would put in this post I came across a number of knitting links, to blogs that I found of interest.
https://katedaviesdesigns.com/2016/06/27/pink-fish/
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-24/beanie-festival-thousands-head-to-alice-springs/7542712
http://www.kaffefassett.com/Newsletters.html
https://katedaviesdesigns.com/2016/08/24/a-shetland-week/
http://shetlandhandspun.blogspot.co.nz/
These just happen to be what came to hand.
It was good to see Sam online earlier- it is Friday late morning in New Zealand as I type this, but I will not be posting until just before 9a.m., Saturday morning our time.
Our weather is calm at present, although we have been forecast 90kph winds. Not long now and it will officially be spring. The Magnolias are in bloom around the town. Then in another month we will change to Daylight Saving Time.

Edited to Add:
another two of interest to me:
http://www.shetlandwoolbrokers.co.uk/epages/BT2741.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2741/Products/%22Yarn%20-%20Heritage%22

https://jamiesonandsmith.wordpress.com/

·
Premium Member
20,717 Posts
Summary of 19th August, 2016 by Darowil

The son of a long time friend of Fan passed away from Leukaemia.

Gagesmum is going through a tough time again.

Railyn's DH had a fall Monday but no major issues.

Poledra's DS started a new job Monday.

Rookie's DH is doing very well post knee replacement - walking around the block already. Her uncle is in hospital on a respirator with no further details known. She is hoping to be able to go up soon when DH can be left for long enough.

Swedenme's DS1 has had a chest infection and the coughing has been keeping him awake - seems to be settling. She has a gut infection - treatment of which may make her feel worse for about a week - compounded by the fact that she can't take her hay fever meds either. Her DH is to try a new medication the should increase his life span.

Marianne had a cardiac catheterisation done Thursday and insertion stent for 80% blockage. Also has a blockage in the leg but that will be addressed at a later date.

Busyworkerbee's DSF's sister has broken her hip and her condition is deteriorating.

The wren has safely arrived in Seattle

PHOTOS
9 - Swedenme - Baa-ble baby jacket
15 - Sugarsugar - Mile a Minute crochet strip
17 - Mrsvette - Cross stitch progress
23 - Oneapril - Scarf
26 - Sorlenna - Quilt
26 - Bonnie - Lacy chevron afghan (link)
26 - Gagesmom - 'Dexter' slipover sweater
27 - Fan - Baby blanket
28 - Sugarsugar - Serena & Oscar
29 - Swedenme - Baby blanket
31 - Lurker - 'Waiting for rain' shawl
34 - Sassafras - Smoke across the Sierras
34 - Gwen - Afghan
38 - Fan - Dolls
40 - Mrsvette - Cross stitch
43 - Gagesmom - Carla baby top and matching head band
44 - Lurker - Waiting for Rain shawl/New yarn
45 - Swedenme - Completed Baa-ble jacket & hat
48 - Lurker - Shawl begun with new yarn
50 - Kate - Birthday card for Liz & Lyn
54 - Kate - Embroidered picture
56 - Bonnie - Mermaid tail / Lab cross stitch
57 - Fan - Fan & doll in 1956
57 - Swedenme - Sail boats / Wind turbines
61 - Pacer - Rainbow / Matthew's drawing
62 - Kehinkle - Crochet finger ring
67 - Gagesmom - 'Carla' baby hat
70 - Lurker - Progress on the shawl
75 - Gagesmom - Baby hat
75 - Pacer - Update on Matthew's 'Mishka'
75 - Sugarsugar - Lacy knitted coat hanger covers (+pattern)
79 - Kate - Birthday card for Shirley
83 - Sassafras - Sunrise over Sierras / Maya
87 - Kehinkle - Dishcloths & potholders
92 - Fan - Beginnings of pinafore
93 - Sugarsugar - Hanger cover
93 - Fan - Picture of pinafore from magazine
94 - Lurker - Day 4 of 'Waiting for rain' shawl

RECIPES
2 - Sorlenna - Raspberry cream cheese tart
20 - Gwen - Cream Cheese Pound Cake
58 - Gwen - Quiche in a sweet potato crust (link)
67 - Rookie - Alabama white bbq sauce (link)
72 - Sorlenna - Green bean chilli (link)
74 - Gwen - Gnocchi with Zucchini Ribbons & Parsley Brown Butter (link)

SAM'S RECIPES ARE ON PAGES.....
1, 10, 21, 22 and 42

CRAFTS
2 - Bonnie - Cow tails hat (link)
10 - Sam - Shelton cowl (link)
17 - Bonnie - Intergalactic shawlette (link)
26 - Swedenme - Magic stripe scarf (link)
41 - Gwen - Round Ripple Crochet Baby Blanket (link)
42 - Kiwifrau - Foyle's War cardi/Sleeveless top (links)
43 - Sam - Animal booties (link)
45 - Darowil - 'Into the Jungle' (link)
58 - Swedenme - Cosy sheep cowl (link)
89 - Tami - Covering clothes hangers

OTHERS
6 - Bonnie - Prunus Virginiana (chokecherry) (link)
12 - Sam - 7 Essential vitamins for over 40s
12 - Bonnie - Stainless steel juicer (link)
14 - Lurker - Eating in the fifties & sixties

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
wow, new tea party,
sam enjoy yourself. i worked part of the day at the church and came in and did a load of rugs in the washing machine. after i got bj from work, i started on the riding mower and got our yard done, i had went around the fence except where all my morning glories have taken over the fence and poisoned the weeds, i don't weed eat. it was not to bad, but wanted it done as we are going to nashville Thurs.-till Monday and they are calling for rain in our area before that, so i don't want to have to buy billy goats to put in my yard when i return. :)
i will have to go back and finish last wks tea party, i think i got to pg 70 or somewhere close.
i am sure Marianne will feel so much better after the stint since the blockage was so much. Everyone take care.

·
Registered
55,137 Posts
I will say good morning Julie as I'm yawning my head off and wondering if I should go to bed , took some more of them dreaded tablets and so far all I have is slight nausea ( touch wood )
Went to sons today was a bit nervous as its the first time I was in charge as DIL was at school sorting out her classroom
But son was more alert and with it today so everything went fine . He has a lovely physio who has really helped him , she has got him a few things that are helping him round the house and taught him how to manage his cough better , got him a new nebuliser that helps a lot . We were both wondering why the hospital didn't help him get all this sorted but decided not to get worked up over it , youngest came and we all watched a film well husband watched it with his eyes shut

·
Premium Member
5,596 Posts
Thank you Julie for the new start. I think your shawl in blue will be wonderful. Thanks Darowil for the summaries as well. Even though I am currently unable to participate in actual knitting, I do enjoy my knitting friends that I read about here. We are now going into fall, and the weather has cooled to 88 high today. The leaves are turning colors and we still are struggling with drought and fires, mostly lightening caused as we are having dry thunderstorms. I think that the magnolias sound like they are beautiful. How about a picture Julie?

·
Premium Member
55,961 Posts
Swedenme said:
I will say good morning Julie as I'm yawning my head off and wondering if I should go to bed , took some more of them dreaded tablets and so far all I have is slight nausea ( touch wood )
Went to sons today was a bit nervous as its the first time I was in charge as DIL was at school sorting out her classroom
But son was more alert and with it today so everything went fine . He has a lovely physio who has really helped him , she has got him a few things that are helping him round the house and taught him how to manage his cough better , got him a new nebuliser that helps a lot . We were both wondering why the hospital didn't help him get all this sorted but decided not to get worked up over it , youngest came and we all watched a film well husband watched it with his eyes shut
Good the physio got things to make your DS more comfortable
Hope you don't get more side effects from the med's & you can get some rest.,is your cough any better?

·
Premium Member
20,717 Posts
Swedenme said:
Glad to hear that the physio is helping your son, Sonja. Hope slight nausea is as bad as it gets for you!

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Swedenme said:
So long as you can handle it, Sonja! Will you be helping out more with #1 son as DIL takes up her work duties again?

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
flyty1n said:
Thank you Julie for the new start. I think your shawl in blue will be wonderful. Thanks Darowil for the summaries as well. Even though I am currently unable to participate in actual knitting, I do enjoy my knitting friends that I read about here. We are now going into fall, and the weather has cooled to 88 high today. The leaves are turning colors and we still are struggling with drought and fires, mostly lightening caused as we are having dry thunderstorms. I think that the magnolias sound like they are beautiful. How about a picture Julie?
Thank you Joyce. A photo of a Magnolia would be a bit tricky- the ones I saw were on the bus route, I don't own one presently, and there are none within easy reach.
It has not been the best of summers in the US with the fires.

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KateB said:
Thanks for standing in for Sam, Julie. It hadn't occurred to me that you could actually make almond milk! :sm16: Heading for bed now - night all!
If you have an Almond tree around it is a darn sight cheaper than purchasing it- I get my Almonds from the Punjabi Suppliers usually- I think one could use Almond Meal but have not actually tried that yet.

·
Registered
55,137 Posts
Lurker 2 said:
So long as you can handle it, Sonja! Will you be helping out more with #1 son as DIL takes up her work duties again?
She is going to job share with another teacher so will only work 2 days a week . So yes those 2 days we will go and stay with him

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pacer said:
Julie thanks for getting the party started. It is so wonderful for you to fill in while Sam is on holiday.

I posted an update picture on last week's tea party but I will try to post it here as well.
Thanks
:sm24: I felt it was important to give him a complete break.
Matthew's drawing goes from strength to strength!

·
Registered
41,678 Posts
Swedenme - hope you're feeling better; I'm sure your DS and DDIL appreciate your being there while she returns to work. Hope the new meds for you and your DH are tolerated easily.

Julie - thanks for stepping up to be the Tea Party Hostess for these two weeks. Sam, I hope you're having a wonderful time in Seattle. Give that new little baby a snuggle for me.

Time to take DH for a walk --- he's actually capable of doing it by himself, but he needs to build his confidence some more. We've had rain every other day this past couple of weeks and the guy who was going to mow the lawn hasn't turned up yet, so looks like I'll be doing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RookieRetiree said:
Swedenme - hope you're feeling better; I'm sure your DS and DDIL appreciate your being there while she returns to work. Hope the new meds for you and your DH are tolerated easily.

Julie - thanks for stepping up to be the Tea Party Hostess for these two weeks. Sam, I hope you're having a wonderful time in Seattle. Give that new little baby a snuggle for me.

Time to take DH for a walk --- he's actually capable of doing it by himself, but he needs to build his confidence some more. We've had rain every other day this past couple of weeks and the guy who was going to mow the lawn hasn't turned up yet, so looks like I'll be doing it tomorrow.
Thank you Rookie! Our Sam is special to all of us, even those of us who will never meet him.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Lurker 2 said:
Thank you Rookie! Our Sam is special to all of us, even those of us who will never meet him.
Every one here is very special to each of us. I am so glad that we can help each other out. Sam does deserve a wonderful holiday. Thanks for covering for him as well as for Kate and Darowil when they need the help as well.

·
Registered
81,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pacer said:
Every one here is very special to each of us. I am so glad that we can help each other out. Sam does deserve a wonderful holiday. Thanks for covering for him as well as for Kate and Darowil when they need the help as well.
Thank you so much Mary! It suits me that it happens only every so often.

1 - 20 of 1311 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom