Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
32,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
August 3/2013

WELCOME TO this workshop "Let's Make some Scarves with Gwen - which is part of the" Let's do Christmas early series"-

GUIDELINES FOR THIS WORKSHOP

IMPORTANT PLEASE ALWAYS start reading from the beginning of this workshop, even if you join in late.

This is important as sometimes corrections are made or there are additions to the original information. If you are starting the class, even after the starting date...
make sure you read the workshop from page 1.

Please post I’M IN to join this workshop

#1 – Once you have posted here on this topic, a notification will be sent to you by email each time there is a post to the workshop as long as you are subscribed to our Section. If you are not sure if you are subscribed—click on my profile at the top of any KP page, then click on Sections, then click on Subscribe by the Knitting and Crochet Workshops with Designer1234.

#2 – PLEASE do not post links or other helpful information without pm-ing the teacher first and asking permission. These workshops are set up for the teacher to present her information in a specific way. If class members post additional links or other information, it may conflict with what the teacher is trying to present and can create confusion for the students. This is very important.

#3 – Let the teacher answer any questions that may arise.The teacher’s answer to a specific question may be different from yours. The teacher is volunteering his or her time and it is only courtesy to allow the teacher to provide the answer to questions.

#4 – Please don’t give individual links to the various workshops; we ask that you give only the following link to reach all our topics.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/s-105-1.html

We hope you enjoy our workshops. We strive to keep them readable and the instructions clear and understandable.

We will be deleting non-essential posts after a few days, to keep the class material easy to follow for any student visiting the workshop, even after it is closed.

All our closed workshops are kept permanently on the above link for future use by KP members.

Designer123, prismaticr, and nrc1940 – Workshop Monitors.

I am happy to introduce Gwen who will be leading this workshop and will be teaching you how to make 3 wonderful scarves. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Welcome to the Scarves with Gwen workshop! I'm Gweniepooh, Gwen Settle, and I will be your teacher. I hope you find these scarves fun, quick, and easy.

=====================
Information about these three scarves!]

This is the BOW-TUCK SCARF
the perfect scarf for the beginner; done in knit stitch entirely. If you’ve never used a stitch holder it is an easy way to learn how as well as simple increases and decreases. No gauge necessary and can be made in any weight yarn though for adults worsted is probably preferred. This is a fairly quick knit that makes you feel like an accomplished knitter though just the thing for helping the beginner to move forward in skills.

From the pattern itself…”this may be called a Tuck-in or a Bow-knot scarf. This little scarf uses less than 50 grams of knitting worsted. You can knit it in any type of yarn, but for an adult, I prefer worsted weight.”
-------------------
Zig-Zag Scarf from Jimmy Beans Scarves to Throws Series

This zig zag pattern is simple, yet still interesting. Note that you can make this scarf much, much longer by blocking it however blocking is not necessary for the finished scarf. Again, gauge is not important. If you can knit and purl you can make this attractive scarf and your finished product will really make the statement of fashion. This scarf can be fashionable for a male or female. It does require that you pay attention to what row you are on as you repeat rows 13-24 once you have set up the base of the pattern. Great pattern for beginner to move into a bit more of a challenge
----------------------
Shades of Winter Scarf

This scarf is more for the advance beginner-intermediate knitter. Even though it does not require gauge it does take concentration. (Ask me how I know….ROFL) You MUST know how to do basic cables and yarn overs to do this pattern. Don’t let this scare you off from making this scarf; cables are not difficult nor are yarn overs. I’ve included a youtube link to making cables if you need a reminder and on the KP workshops listing there is a workshop on how to make cables. This is an elegant scarf and a wonderful challenge for the beginner/advanced beginner.
===================
===================

here are the links to all three patterns for your files

Tuck-in or Bow-knot Scarf

http://people.delphiforums.com/knit_chat/knitchat/patterns/bowscarf.htm

Zig Zag Scarf
http://www.jimmybeanswool.com/images/freePatterns/scarvesthrows8_full.pdf

Shades of Winter Scarf

http://www.allfreeknitting.com/Cable-Scarves/shades-of-winter-scarf

ATTENTION:: I deleted the pattern for the Bow knot scarf in error -. It is the same as the link above . (I have confirmed with Marianne who tested the pattern for Gwen - I will post the actual pattern on the workshop as soon as possible. in the meantime use the link for the pattern. Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience!

Gwen has posted it again on page 2 thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
ZIG ZAG SCARF FROM JIMMY BEANS SCARF TO THROW SERIES

Yarn req. – DK or worsted, 225 yards/1 skein of worsted…depends on how long you want your scarf to be. Mine was done using 2 skeins of Sublime Cash DK (127 yd/skein)

Needles – US 9/5.5mm; gauge is not important
Darning needle for sewing in ends
Gauge super important...
Abbreviations
•K: knit
•P: purl
•k2tog - knit 2 together
•yo - yarn over

Directions
•Cast on 24 stitches
•Row 1 (rs): *k3 p3* repeat from *to* ending on a p stitch
•Row 2 (ws): p1, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p2
•Row 3: k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3
•Row 4: k2, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k1
•Row 5: p2, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p1
•Row 6: *p3 k3* repeat from *to* ending on a k stitch

This will create a Zig! (And now for the Zag...)

•Row 7: k2, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k1
•Row 8: p2, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p1
•Row 9: *p3 k3* repeat from *to* ending on a k stitch
•Row 10: k1, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k2
•Row 11: p1, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p2
•Row 12: *k3 p3* repeat from *to* ending on a p stitch

The Zig and Zag bases are now set up. After this we will now follow the pattern...

•Row 13: p1, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p2
•Row 14: k1, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k2
•Row 15: *p3 k3* repeat from *to* ending on a k stitch
•Row 16: p2, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p1
•Row 17: k2, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k1
•Row 18: *k3 p3* repeat from *to* ending on a p stitch
•Row 19: k2, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k1
•Row 20: p2, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p1
•Row 21: *p3 k3* repeat from
*to* ending on a k stitch
•Row 22: k1, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k2
•Row 23: p1, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p3, k3, p2
•Row 24: *k3 p3* repeat from *to* ending on a p stitch
Repeat rows 13-24 until the scarf measures desired length. Bind off and sew in ends.

Note that you can make this scarf much, much longer by blocking it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
SHADES OF WINTER DIRECTIONS

For this scarf you do need to know how to make cables. There is a wonderful workshop here on the list of workshops and believe me a basic cable is not difficult. So take this leap and join in. I've included photos of me making a cable. :)

Yarn – 400 yards DK or worsted weight

Needles – Size 7 US/4.5mm
Cable needle

Pattern:
Cast on 32 (I used the long tail cast on but it is your choice)

Knit 2 rows.

Row 1: K2, K6*YO, SKP, K1, K2tog, YO, K6, repeat to last 2 sts. K2.
Row 2: and all even rows: K2, purl to last 2 Sts, K2
Row 3: K2, K7 * YO, SK2P, YO, K8, YO, SK2P, YO, K7, K2
Row 5: repeat row 1
Row 7:K2, CBC3,K1,YO,SK2P,YO,K1,CB3,K1,YO,SK2P,YO,K1,CB3,K2

Repeat until desired length ending on Row 4.
Knit 2 rows

Bind off. Block lightly and enjoy.

TIP: I tend to get distracted so I put in a lifeline after one of the even rows so that if I messed up I would not have to frog the entire piece. I randomly chose row 4, and did this consistently. Now I didn’t have a lot of lifelines; just rotated putting in the same 2. Example: Did rows 1,2,3 4(put in lifeline) 5,6,7. Then when I reach row 4 again I put in another lifeline. The 3rd time I reached row 4 I pulled out the first lifeline and put it in the new row 4.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Gweniepooh said:
SHADES OF WINTER DIRECTIONS

P A T T E R N

Row 7:
K2, CBC3,K1,YO,SK2P,YO,K1,CB3,K1,YO,SK2P,YO,K1,CB3,K2
Tho I know how to do cables, I am unsure what you want us to do here - can you explain please?
There are 3 cables to do on this row:
CBC 3
CB 3
CB 3
Does the cable/stitches go in front/back?
What does the CBC mean?
thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
CBC3 and CB3 are the same...sorry, meant to correct that from the original pattern. Cable stitch goes in BACK...the "B" means back...In the original pattern it added the "extra C after the B" and I meant to delete it....I also was confused at first. (just so you know for future reference ...if it had said CF3 then you would go in front)

NY Hummer said:
Tho I know how to do cables, I am unsure what you want us to do here - can you explain please?
There are 3 cables to do on this row:
CBC 3
CB 3
CB 3
Does the cable/stitches go in front/back?
What does the CBC mean?
thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Your are so correct...ON THE ZIG ZAG SCARF GAUGE IN NOT IMPORTANT. In fact, gauge is not important on ANY of these patterns.....(boy do I suck at proofing....LOL) Thanks for catching that Judyh.

Judyh said:
Gwen, on the zig zag scarf I am thinking you mean that the gauge is NOT important.

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Will be back on line mid morning...that is if I get some sleep now! Hope everyone does okay. Remember if you have any questions or concerns just state which scarf and I do my best to help you out!. Hugs to all! Gweniepooh

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Marylou12 said:
Bow scarf
Is there any type of increase that is preferred, or is KFB ok?
I used the KFB when making the demo scarf. I overslept this morning, just got my mom settled so will be around if any questions on the Bow scarf. I have made this one several times. Gwen should be up around 10 or so, she had a very late night it seems. :wink:

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Oops.

Welcome to everyone! The more the merrier. Remember to start reading from the first page. I've already posted some corrections and confirmation about doing the increase on the Bow-Tuck. Also, Please state which scarf you are working on if you have a question or concern.

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Sounds good! I listed them in what to me was easiest to more challenging. You'll do fine with all of them I'm sure.

LAT3003 said:
I'm in, too. I've been looking forward to this all week. I will start with the bow tuck scarf and see how I go from there.

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
A big welcome to everyone again this morning. I've been here since 9 a.m. EST and it is just about 11 a.m. so I'm off for a couple of hours. Will be back around 1 p.m. Have fun, take your time, and just enjoy the process. Hugs!

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Hello I'm back and I'll repost the bow-tuck pattern.

DIRECTIONS FOR BOW-TUCK SCARF
Yarn req. – less than 50 grams of any weight though for adults worsted is probably preferred
Needles – size 7 US/4.5mm
One EXTRA size 7 US/4.5 mm OR a stitch holder

Using US 7 or 4.5 mm straight needles, cast on 3 sts. (you can use circular needles if you want just DO NOT join…work back and forth as with straights.)

Row 1: Increase 1 st in the first st. K to end of row.

Repeat 1st row to 24 sts on needle.

K 19 rows in garter st.

To make slot: *K1, slip next st onto a stitch holder, keeping this stitch at the back of the work. Repeat from * to end of row. Stitches are divided, half on needle and half on stitch holder. (see picture #1 below as to how this will look)

Working on stitches on needle, work 16 rows in k1, p1 ribbing. Break/cut yarn leaving a tail, and leave these sts on a spare needle or stitch holder. (I preferred using a spare needle because you will soon be knitting from it.:))

Slip stitches from holder and work 16 rows in k1, p1 ribbing. Do not break/cut yarn.

Next row: (To close slot and increase stitches). *K tog 1 stitch from needle and 1 stitch from spare needle/stitch holder. Knit next stitch from front needle, then next stitch from back needle. (This increases 1 stitch.)
Repeat from * until there are 2 stitches left on each needle. (K tog one stitch from each needle) twice. 17 stitches on needle.

K even in garter stitch until work measures about 12 inches from slot closing.

(I tend not to measure this, but to wrap it around my neck to make sure it is long enough when stretched slightly)

Next row: *K1, K2tog Repeat from * to last two sts. K2 (12 sts)

Work 16 rows in K1, P1 ribbing.

Next row: Increase 1 st in each st across row

K 19 rows garter stitch.

Next row: K1, K2tog, K to end of row
Repeat this row to 3 stitches on needle. Cast off.
Sew in ends

THANKS GWEN (designer1234)

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
Sorry you are under the weather Trisha. Hope it isn't too serious.
Onthewingsofadove said:
I'm in. This will keep me occupied while I get better

Trisha

·
Premium Member
38,679 Posts
I received a comment about how one individual thought the Zig Zag scarf was easier....everyone is different. In trying to decide which was the most simple for say a beginner I recalled how I have heard many knitters say how they hated to purl. The Bow-Tuck scarf is just using the knit stitch. That is why I thought perhaps it might be considered by some as easier.

Either way....each has their own idea of difficulty level....some days for me just not losing my needles is a challenge! ROFL
I have been known to have my cable needle stuck behind my ear and not been able to find it....ROFL...and as you see it isn't because my hair is hiding it (see avatar!)

I got a good hint from an individual that they used a circular needle with cable attached to hold the stitches on the Bow-Tuck scarf. Good idea! With the stitches resting on the cable of the circular needle it was ready to knit away when joining the slot. Thanks for the suggestion Pacer!

1 - 20 of 303 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom