Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I bought a LA leaflet with baby layettes and didn't realize when I bought it that it was 3ply yarn/fingering weight yarn and I love it now I want more 3ply yarn patterns don't suggest ravelry I looked there first but I would love more knitting with this weight yarn (more variety also)

I just googled "fingering weight yarn knitting patterns" and there were many references .... for all kinds of patterns... was unsure whether you were looking for more baby patterns

In 'the old days' 3ply was usually used for baby clothes - I preferred 4ply because I'm impatient. My mum and gran used 2 ply (OMG don't know where they found the time!) LoveKnitting sell 2 and 3 ply so they may have patterns - good luck with your search.

I knit all my sweaters out of fingering yarn. I change the pattern to fit the yarn. Increase the number of stitches. The trick is to look for pattern with diagrams that tell you how many inches you need, then multiply you gauge by the inches.

tatsfieldknitter said:
In 'the old days' 3ply was usually used for baby clothes - I preferred 4ply because I'm impatient. My mum and gran used 2 ply (OMG don't know where they found the time!) LoveKnitting sell 2 and 3 ply so they may have patterns - good luck with your search.
Just had time to check on Loveknitting they have over a 100 free 3 ply pattern and hundreds of pay-for 3 ply pattern (all sorts of garments etc)

3 ply is lighter than fingering- between lace and fingering sometimes called light fingering. 2 ply is lace weight
3ply light fingering
4 ply fingering (note that some American patterns say 4 ply worsted this is NOT the yarn those are referring to).
I knit very few baby items in a heavier yarn than 4 ply. Used to always 3 ply but not as common now as 4 ply (and normally only 'baby' colours but with many babies not wearing these colours now need to use 4 ply).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom