Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this late tonight so it is all here for theOfficial
Start September 26, 2012!!!

THE JUST IN TIME CHRISTMAS BASIC SOCK WORKSHOP
Please note that this workshop is CLOSED to any newcomers at this time due to the overwhelming
response to the number of partipants in the workshop.

You can get your pattern printed off (make a few copies for yourself as you will be writing on them!!!).I prefer
the pattern for 56 stitches, Beginner
Socks Knitting Pattern
. (Needles and yarn
supplies needed are in here for this pattern). http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socks
basic.htm

You can get the Ann Budd book Getting Started Knitting Socks if you can afford it. Needles, yarns and other information you need for socks is all in this book including patterns.
You will not go wrong with it and it is my go-tobook for socks. At the moment, you can get it very reasonable at Amazon in the USA http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Starte-Knitting-Socks/dp/1596680296

In Canada go here http://www.amazon.ca
/Getting-Started-Knitting-Socks/dp/1596680296

Practice the long-tail cast on. http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/long-tail-cast-on

How to join your stitches to knit in the round, and how to hold your needles to maximize your effeciency in working them. This also helps to minimize any laddering that you may get if you are holding the needles as demonstrated.
(This works for both continental and Englishthrow
methods of knitting).

http://www.purlbee.com/double-pointed-needles-tutoria/

Ensuring that there are no holes at the top of the gussett on each side of the heel flap. Wise Hilda has put this out and it goes to how this is fully explaned and demonstrated, somewhat a little better than in Getting Started Knitting Socks pg 31. http://wisehilda.blogspot.ca/2010/01/on-picking-up-gusset-stitches-avoiding.html

To determine gauge and the number of stitches to cast on for your socks. When knitting socks it is always the circumferance of the foot that is a critical measurement. The length of the foot part can always have more rounds or less rounds knit so that the foot length is correctly knit. But the number of stitches around the foot/ankle/leg is important. Knit your swatch in the round in stocking stitch (every stitch is knitted). Do a horizontal count of the number of stitches in one inch across the row of stitches. ____st per inch = your gauge. ___st per inch x ____circumferance of foot in inches = number of st to cast on.

We will tweak our patterns and knitting as we go along. This is a fine thing to do! When knitting something, we can generalize as to how to knit it, but when the actual knitting of it takes place, we customize it!! You go ahead and tweak when it is needed. That is ok!

The kitchener stitch: when you have the book, it is detailed on pages 42-44. For now, I like this link for doing the kitchener stitch. I have never seen it explained better. http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/FEATtheresasum04.html

Keeping track of the number of rows for your sock so you can knit the mate the same size. I would keep track of the number of round I knit by marking each 5th round knit with a gold safety pin. You remove them when your sock's mate has been knit and you will again keep track of the number of rounds you knit on it with the gold safety pins.

Having said that, it is easier to keep track of the number of rounds if you are counting in fives. ie. if you get 13 rounds knit for the cuff and it is now measuring two inches, I would knit another two rounds to make the cuff a total of 15 rounds. (three pins needed).
It is important to remember that while we will all start the socks, we will all work and progress at our own individual paces. Some will be able to devote more time to the knitting and others will not be able to because of other lifestyle committments. Remember, it is all good!!! no one is to ever feel inferior because he/she can not "keep up" with someone else who is also knitting with us! this is so important for you all to know.
We are also never going to be critical of the style/type/method of knitting each sock knitter is going to use. We each have our own styles and methods. I do Norwegian continental knitting and the English throw style of knitting. (There are many varieties of continental knitting and English throw knitting methods). If you are stuck on a particular part of the sock knitting, I may ask you the style of knitting you are using. This is in no way to make you feel like you are knitting wrong. I only need to understand your style so that I can help you and perhaps give you a hint/pointer as to how to make it better for your knitting experience. (I do not do Portuguese knitting using a knitting pin or yarn around the neck, nor do I do knooking or tunisian knitting so I can not help with those).

Let us all Sock ON!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Information I need to know when you are posted about your socks. This assumes you have done your swatch and have your dpns and your yarn. As there are many of you to teach, this will help me to understand where each of you are at in your knitting of socks.

1. dpn size and number ie. 3mm four dpns
2. gauge and number of stitches you cast on ie. 7st=1", CO 56
3. yarn weight/ply ie. #2 wt sock yarn
4. which pattern you are using ie. Beginner Sock Pattern as posted or/ Getting Started Knitting Socks pg 54
5. where you are in your knitting pattern ie. cuff two inches knitted or/need to start the heel flap

Once you have done that then I will need you to explain the problem you are having where you are at in your sock knitting. If you are experiencing difficulties at any stage in this workshop, it is your responsibility to contact me as many times as is necessary for you to understand the process of knitting basic socks using dpns.

Let us all enjoy the workshop and learn how to knit socks using dpns!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Thank you! Think you have done a fabulous job of organizing all of the important information and even providing links - which I have already looked at! Awesome.

as much knitting as I have done over the years - this is my first adventure in knitting socks!!

So generous of you too be doing this workshop!

Sandra

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtnmama67 said:
Thank you! Think you have done a fabulous job of organizing all of the important information and even providing links - which I have already looked at! Awesome.

as much knitting as I have done over the years - this is my first adventure in knitting socks!!

So generous of you too be doing this workshop!

Sandra
Hi Sandra, I am looking forwards to doing this with you all! A big welcome to the world of knitting socks! I think and hope you will love it as much as I do. I first learned to knit socks on dpns when I was 10. My mother had the pattern in her head and cast on the stitches for me! :D
If you can, copy and paste what I just posted for the workshop into a word document and then print it off for a handy reference.

·
Registered
33 Posts
5mmdpns said:
barbyjones said:
I'm bugging you again about my swatch. I had to take a few days off as I was getting too frustrated. So I'm back at it again today, starting fresh and ready to go. When I start my new swatch with my larger needles (3 MM with fine yarn.) Do I knit each row in the round or do I do the ribbing of K2P2 in the round?
Barby, I dont want to add to your frustrations at all. However, I am going to tell you that 3mm needles are too large for the fine yarn. You have gauge issues and these all need to be worked out before you start the socks. This is a good time to work out all of these issues!:thumbup:
First of all go out and buy some Bernats Satin Sport or Bernats Baby Softee yarn. They are both #3 weight. Do your gauge swatch with this yarn and the 3mm needles.

When ever any swatch is called for to be done to determine your gauge, you will always do the swatch in stocking stitch unless the pattern tells you differently. Also your swatch should be knit in the manner in which the pattern is in ie. knit flat back and forth, or knit in the round. In this case, your sock pattern calls for the sock to be knit in the round so you will knit your swatch in the round. You do not have to cast on as many stitches as you need for your sock. You need only cast on about 36 stitches, that works out to be 12 stitches per needle if you are using 3dpns for the swatch. You cast on, and then knit every round for about 3 inches. Measure the horizontal row about half way between your cast on edge and the knitting needle. Count how many stitches per inch you get. This is your gauge.

Once you get your gauge of how many stitches per inch you get, turn in your book to that pattern. Now measure your foot around the widest part. (see figure 1, page 50 of the book). Take this number and multiply it by your gauge. ie. ____sts per inch x _____ number of inches around your foot = the number of stitches to cast on for your sock.

I hope this helps. If not, then please ask some more!! I will help you and not give up on you at all!!!! :)
First off I want to say how happy I am that your mother is doing so well. You and your family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. My father lives alone on a cattle ranch in Kansas and it drives me crazy every time something comes up because I can't just be there for him whenever he needs me since I live half way across the country. He will be 80 in March. Needless to say we talk ALL the time so I can keep tabs on him.

Now on to socks... I bought the Bernats Baby Softee yarn #3 weight. So much easier to knit with and I'm using the US#3 needles. I did my swatch and I'm knitting 7 stitches per inch in the round. I remeasured my foot where I want my sock to sit on my ankle, the arch and the ball of my foot and those measurements are 8.5". I took 7 X 8.5 = 59.5 Since this is not in the pattern on page 54 I went to the 64 cast on. Am I doing this right so far?

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barbyjones, you are doing this right!! The extra 4 stitches for the total cast on number wont make any difference. When you get to the knitting of the foot, you will just slip the sock on and make sure that the sock is coming out to fit your foot. If the sock is a bit too wide for your foot, then you simply make a decrease at the beginning and end of the instep needle to keep the sock fitting huggley to your foot. :thumbup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
5mmdpns said:
Barbyjones, you are doing this right!! The extra 4 stitches for the total cast on number wont make any difference. When you get to the knitting of the foot, you will just slip the sock on and make sure that the sock is coming out to fit your foot. If the sock is a bit too wide for your foot, then you simply make a decrease at the beginning and end of the instep needle to keep the sock fitting huggley to your foot. :thumbup:
YIPPEE!! :lol: I'm a happy camper now! Thanks for all your help! I'm starting my sock now. I'll K2P2 for 2.5 inches from what you previously told me for a shortie sock. Then I'll be asking what comes next. I'm so excited!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I just picked up my book today from the post office. I have read part of it. I did a swatch with #1 Patons Kroy sock yarn and #2 needles. My swatch was 15 stitches for 2 inches. Would I use 7sts=1" or 8sts=1"? The largest part around my foot is 10 1/4". For this pair of socks I will be using the book. Would I be on page 52? I am not sure which way to go but think the 8 st per inch would give me breathing room. What do you think?
I finished the socks for my sisters for Christmas using the pattern you posted. With those I used sock yarn and #3 needles. Here is their pictures and one of my swatch. I like (on page 24) the knit3,purl1 rib for this pair of socks. For my sisters I did a 2x2 rib.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
5mmdpns said:
woooohoooo and there goes Barbyjones just workin those dpns!! When you get done your socks, you celebrate with the rest of us!! I am very happy for you!:D :D :D
OK...got my 2.5 inches knitted lookes good too, if I do say so myself. :) Now I'm ready to move on to the Heel. It Says to " K16 turn work around and with same needle P 32 heel sts on one needle. Place rem 32 sts on spare eedles or holder to work later for instep." Now this may sound easy but I don't have the foggiest idea what the heck this means. I've got 16 stitches on 4 needles to equal my 64 cast on for my 7 stitches per inch that I knit in the round. my yarn is #3 weight and I'm working the pattern in the book on page 54.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am working on the pat. given. I'm using #3 Bernat Baby Softee yarn with a CO of 56 sts, size 2.75 needle , 7 sts in one inch. I Knitted up to 7 inches in K2P2 rib. Now I am confused as to how to proceed. If I knit the first 14 sts as instructed then do I turn in the middle then what, I am confused.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, I am using #2 US needles. I couldn't find #2 weight yarn so I'm using #1 weight. I did find some #3 weight but didn't like the colors.
Did the gauge, was 7 stitches pre inch so I'll be doing pattern on page 54.
Getting a late start as I have been taking care of my grand daughter and her 17 month old son who both are sick.
Will check in with you later. Have fun everyone!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksbasic.htm

Just to let everyone know that this is the new link for the Beginner Socks Knitting Pattern. The old link does not work anymore. Sorry for the glitch, but as websites get updated the patterns go to new http addresses. :)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmai5421 said:
I just picked up my book today from the post office. I have read part of it. I did a swatch with #1 Patons Kroy sock yarn and #2 needles. My swatch was 15 stitches for 2 inches. Would I use 7sts=1" or 8sts=1"? The largest part around my foot is 10 1/4". For this pair of socks I will be using the book. Would I be on page 52? I am not sure which way to go but think the 8 st per inch would give me breathing room. What do you think?
I finished the socks for my sisters for Christmas using the pattern you posted. With those I used sock yarn and #3 needles. Here is their pictures and one of my swatch. I like (on page 24) the knit3,purl1 rib for this pair of socks. For my sisters I did a 2x2 rib.
7st x 10.25" = 71.75 stitches CO
7.5 st x 10.25" = 76.875 stitches CO (7.5 st = 1" is your actual gauge)
8st x 10.25" = 82 stitches CO

Yes, you would be on page 52. I would choose the stitch cast on of 76 stitches which is the one closest for you to cast on. If you wish to rib in 3x1 (K3P1) stitch pattern, that is ok. There is not much stretch to that ribbing but you should be ok.
Your pictures look great! :D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
barbyjones said:
5mmdpns said:
woooohoooo and there goes Barbyjones just workin those dpns!! When you get done your socks, you celebrate with the rest of us!! I am very happy for you!:D :D :D
OK...got my 2.5 inches knitted lookes good too, if I do say so myself. :) Now I'm ready to move on to the Heel. It Says to " K16 turn work around and with same needle P 32 heel sts on one needle. Place rem 32 sts on spare eedles or holder to work later for instep." Now this may sound easy but I don't have the foggiest idea what the heck this means. I've got 16 stitches on 4 needles to equal my 64 cast on for my 7 stitches per inch that I knit in the round. my yarn is #3 weight and I'm working the pattern in the book on page 54.
Here is where we have to do a little adjusting. The patterns as written in Getting Started Knitting Socks are for someone who is working on three needles and as you are working on four needles, some things need to be adjusted. (It is easier to adjust from three needle instructions to the four needles rather than the other way around. But it is easier to knit socks, IMHO, to have the sock stitches on four needles and knit with the fifth needle).

You will use the stitches that are on the two needles that are for the back of the leg. (The cast on tail will line up with the first stitch on the left needle. You will use this needle and the next one for your two back leg needles. You can mark them if you wish although you dont have to). You have a total of 32 stitches for the heel flap with 16 stitches on each needle. Go to Heel Flap and add this next part with pencil that I am putting in italics.

Heel Flap Knitting on the two back leg needles, work back and forth on heel sts in rows as follows:
Row 1: (RS) *Sl 1 pwise (purlwise) with working yarn in back (wyb), K1: repeat from * across the two back leg needles. Turn.
Row 2: (WS) Sl 1 pwise with working yarn in front (wyf), purl to the end of the second back leg needle.

Then just continue on with the heel instructions as written. :D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Patricia Ann said:
Hi, I am using #2 US needles. I couldn't find #2 weight yarn so I'm using #1 weight. I did find some #3 weight but didn't like the colors.
Did the gauge, was 7 stitches pre inch so I'll be doing pattern on page 54.
Getting a late start as I have been taking care of my grand daughter and her 17 month old son who both are sick.
Will check in with you later. Have fun everyone!
Before you cast on the stitches for your socks, measure your foot circumferance (as per page 50, figure 1) and make sure the number of stitches you have to cast on. Take this number of inches and multiply by 7 to find out the number of stitches to cast on. Match this number up to the corresponding cast on number for the pattern on page 54. Using pencil, circle all the numbers in the rest of the pattern that match with this cast on number. :-D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maryladominicana said:
I am working on the pat. given. I'm using #3 Bernat Baby Softee yarn with a CO of 56 sts, size 2.75 needle , 7 sts in one inch. I Knitted up to 7 inches in K2P2 rib. Now I am confused as to how to proceed. If I knit the first 14 sts as instructed then do I turn in the middle then what, I am confused.
First I need to know how many needles you are working with for your socks. Are your stitches on three needles and you knit with the forth, or on four needles and you knit with the fifth? Depending on which way this is, the instructions make sense, but to help you out, I need to know the answer to the two questions. Thanks. We will do this!! :)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jmai5421, the 2x2 rib will give you more stretch and you are right at the measurement for cast on with no extra stetch allowed if you go with a 3x1 ribbing. IMHO, the 2x2 is better for you. Remember, the author Ann Budd has done thousands of socks and she can play and adjust for her patterns for her own use. :)

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
robmac said:
5mmdpns, I have a question about gauge. First to catch you up, I will be using 4 dpns. The question will determine the size of needle. I am using Kroy #1 sock yarn. The rich earth jac.
Kroy recommends 7st/in on size 3.25mm. I did my swatch with a size 2.75 and have 8st/inch. Which would you recommend on using. I know that will determine which pattern in the book to use.
Using the 3.25 I did get 7 st/in. And I am comfortable using either size. Was thinking that the smaller needle and tighter gauge would last longer.
When you look at your swatches, which appears to be the better stitchwork for the sock? Sometimes the smaller stitches will produce a better looking stitchwork while larger stitchwork will produce a more open stitchwork and will not be warm enough. I know you have knit socks before and so I will trust your judgement on this.:)

One thing you may want to consider is the stretch of each swatch you did. Which one stretches the best for the feet you are knitting the sock for. If the person tends to have swelling in their feet, then you will want the gauge that produces the most stretch for their sock. :D

Kroy makes very nice sock yarn. While the #1 weight is thin, the quality of the yarn is excellent! I would recommend you knitting the heel of K1 Sl 1 across the right side of the heel and purl back. This will make a nice padding for the back of the heel where it will tend to rub on the back of the shoes. :thumbup:

·
Registered
316 Posts
5mmdpns said:
maryladominicana said:
First I need to know how many needles you are working with for your socks. Are your stitches on three needles and you knit with the forth, or on four needles and you knit with the fifth? Depending on which way this is, the instructions make sense, but to help you out, I need to know the answer to the two questions. Thanks. We will do this!! :)
Thank you for your response. You have the patience of a saint. I have my sts on three needles and knitting with the fourth. Actually, I believe that I have figured it out and have worked up to the short rows. I have picked up the 14 sts on each side and knit across the instep sts.( the sts which were being held). Now to figure out how to knit 8 or 9 sts of the heel flap and locating and marking the centre as the beginning of the round. I'm figuring it out slowly as I go along. It takes much concentration ,. Thanks so much for your help. I wish I knew how to display photos or attach files.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
maryladominicana said:
5mmdpns said:
maryladominicana said:
Thank you for your response. You have the patience of a saint. I have my sts on three needles and knitting with the fourth. Actually, I believe that I have figured it out and have worked up to the short rows. I have picked up the 14 sts on each side and knit across the instep sts.( the sts which were being held). Now to figure out how to knit 8 or 9 sts of the heel flap and locating and marking the centre as the beginning of the round. I'm figuring it out slowly as I go along. It takes much concentration ,. Thanks so much for your help. I wish I knew how to display photos or attach files.
To add a picture, you will put in a post as to what the picture is. Then at the bottom of your post you will see the tab "Add an Attachment" Click on that tab. It will take you to another window in which you will see your post. At the bottom you will see "browse". Click on that and find the place in your computer that you have the picture you want. (if you are taking a picture of your sock progress, then just save it to your desktop as this is the easiest). ie your desk top. Select the file and then click "Open". This will immediately put it into the Browse link although you will not see it there. Do not put any writing with it as you will have already done this in the post you just did. Then click on "Add Attachment"

It will come up on your post and you will see further wording under the picture and this is in blue lettering. Only you see the blue lettering, no one else does! Just so you know if you save the picture to your desktop, it automatically sizes it for the Knitting Paradise. :D

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
maryladominicana said:
5mmdpns Thanks. I will save these instrucions, and try it out. You are so informative. Again,. many thanks.
So if you look at the post you just did, you will see "Add an Attachment" but you will not see it on others' posts. That is because only you can add an attachment to your post. No one else can do that. Same as only you see your edit tab under your post and not on someone else's post, you are the only one who can edit your post. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom