Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hat pattern that uses "five weight, four weight, and three weight yarn". I tried to research the weights, but I am not sure if I am getting answers for American weights or European. The hat pattern link is below:

http://knittingwithschnapps.blogspot.com/2016/02/introducing-raspberry-mocha-swirl.html

Thanks much! (I think I saw an answer to this question previously, but I did not tattoo the answer to my body, which is the only thing I do not lose".)

·
Registered
23,697 Posts
If using 6-weight yarn, use size 13 needles and cast on 48. super chunky

If using 4-weight yarn, use size 8 needles and cast on 72. worsted

If using 3-weight yarn, use size 5 needles and cast on 100 stitches. DK

·
Registered
20,400 Posts
I think your question has been well answered - US needle sizes and yarn weights. I really like that instructions are given for different yarn weights. Makes life easier. Thanks for the link.

PS I thought I had a tattoo. Where'd it go? :sm19: :sm17: :sm17:

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Your pattern is written to allow adjusting for different sizes, but you will be using only one weight of yarn for any one size. The designer did not specify a size for a weight of yarn or give a gauge to guide you, so I would go with the #4 or worsted weight and hope that is meant to fit the average size head. If you want a larger than average hat, then I would go up to the #5 or bulky weight; if you want a smaller than average hat, then the #3 or DK weight would be a better choice.

I believe the previous posters are correct about the weights being US. This is an attractive hat; but without a gauge or more direction about size, I would be checking Ravelry for a different pattern.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I have knit several of her hat patterns & the ones I have done always included head sizes to match the hat size. Am surprised this one doesn't have that info. I would think the hat will fit the average head size 20-21".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom